Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fantastic Fan, adding Reverse capability

Woo Hoo!! I figured out how to make my Fantastic Fans into reversible models ...and the first one just cost me $3.98 plus some wire and butt splices!!!

We have three Fantastic Fans, and none are reversible models ...don't know if they just started making reversible models in the last few yeaers or if Winnebago just skipped that feature. Two of ours have every other feature I can think of except remote control, but no reverse. I finally decided I had to have a reversible fan, and being too cheap to totally replace the control module for hundred$ and change, I put my farm boy creativity to work. After a little internet research, I found a local Radio Shack and bought a 10-amp capable DPDT Toggle swith with a Center Off position. Using wire and butt splices I had on hand, after an hour or so of tinkering we now have a reversible Fantastic Fan!!! ...and as soon as I can find two more of those toggle switches, we'll have two more!!

If you want all the gritty details and some pics, you can check out a full write-up on my webpage at Fantastic Fan Upgrade ...added Reverse Switch

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You can always call Fantastic, and they'll probably send you a couple of switches. Probability 90+% they won't even charge you for them, if you ask nice.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What does a standard Fantastic Fan reversing switch look like?? ...rotary? ...slider? ...toggle? ... I have no idea??
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

WAY TO GO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Woo Hoo!! I figured out how to make my Fantastic Fans into reversible models ...and the first one just cost me $3.98 plus some wire and butt splices!!!

We have three Fantastic Fans, and none are reversible models ...don't know if they just started making reversible models in the last few yeaers or if Winnebago just skipped that feature. Two of ours have every other feature I can think of except remote control, but no reverse. I finally decided I had to have a reversible fan, and being too cheap to totally replace the control module for hundred$ and change, I put my farm boy creativity to work. After a little internet research, I found a local Radio Shack and bought a 10-amp capable DPDT Toggle swith with a Center Off position. Using wire and butt splices I had on hand, after an hour or so of tinkering we now have a reversible Fantastic Fan!!! ...and as soon as I can find two more of those toggle switches, we'll have two more!!

WAY TO GO !!!!

If you want all the gritty details and some pics, you can check out a full write-up on my webpage at Fantastic Fan Upgrade ...added Reverse Switch
Old 08-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
they are great to work with they just replaced my crank gear and lid great customer support !
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
So anyhow chap - how come you used a center off switch? I'm sure a standard two position DPDT unit would work fine, No??
Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #7

That is what the Fantastic fan reversing switch is .Right Out, center off to let the fan come to a stop or to have vent open with no fan,left In.
BOB
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used a "center off" to remind myself and anyone else who might switch direction while the fan is running that it would probably be good to let the fan stop before reversing the direction ...may not be a big deal, but seems like a good idea
to me. ...sane way reversible ceiling fans I have had in a stick house were set up, and they warned not to switch direction w/o letting the blades come to a stop first.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
OK!! - that answers that question.