Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #1

My bathroom fan has a motor and 4" propeler from a model airplane that screems a loud ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

The kitchen appears to be a Fantastic Fan with 10 blades, although there is no label on it. It is quite and sucks. [good king of suck]

The Fleetwood manifest of parts lists
[1] 2-speed fan. Apparently they split the difference and gave me 1 with 3 speeds and 1 with 1 speed. Go figure.

As for my question, does a new Fantastic Fan hve to be installed from the outside after the old one is ripped out.

Can Camping World be trusted to do a responsible installation? I don't do ladders.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #2

My bathroom fan has a motor and 4" propeler from a model airplane that screems a loud ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

The kitchen appears to be a Fantastic Fan with 10 blades, although there is no label on it. It is quite and sucks. [good king of suck]

The Fleetwood manifest of parts lists
[1] 2-speed fan. Apparently they split the difference and gave me 1 with 3 speeds and 1 with 1 speed. Go figure.

As for my question, does a new Fantastic Fan hve to be installed from the outside after the old one is ripped out.

Can Camping World be trusted to do a responsible installation? I don't do ladders.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:17 AM   #3

I have a three-speed, thermostaticly controlled Fantastic fan in my bath (actually in the tub-shower itself): I think it is a very advantagous location for removing steam etc.

Yes, the entire vent hole needs to be cleared out of old vent parts: the Fantastic fan has its own housing, lid and bezel as well as the fan unit and controls. On the roof, unscrew the old unit; seal and screw down the new.

My personal experience with Camping World as an installer has NOT been good -- it may just be a matter of individual stores however.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #4

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
I have done exactly what you are considering and it is not a difficult job. It should take any RV tech about 1 hour to do the job and you will love the difference!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Some Camping World locations are better than others. Seffner, FL know's how to do it. They install all of LD's new vent fans. So it depends on whick CW you were thinking of using.

Green lights & soft breezes,
Old 08-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
jfb

Due to the fact that CW is not convenient to us, we have relied on local "Ma and Pa" RV retail and repair facilities who have never dis-appointed us. They can generally obtain the required/desired parts within one or two days at costs to us that are competative (sp?)with CW, their labor charges are generally competetive (sp?)with CW. We recently went with the Shurflo Platinum galley vent for the features including remote control. The people who we dealt with (in Warrenton, OR) got the unit overnight (at a price less than CW) and did a good job of installation. I have noticed that CW gets more play in irv2 than qualified local businesses. Why????
Old 08-29-2006, 02:42 AM   #7

I have noticed that CW gets more play in irv2 than qualified local businesses. Why????

I guess because it is big and has a web site with a store locator button. Or maybe it owns this too like rv.net.

"DriVer" , on this forum gave me a long list od dealers around Myrtle Beach for service.

How about a section on IRV2 for RV repair points where people have gone.
Just like RV Park Reviews.com

Just the name and address, reliable or not and any spoecialized services the shop offers.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:23 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Muddy,

Try this site, http://rvservicereviews.com/ imho, the more centralized info for both park reviews and svc reviews, the more power the individual consumer may eventially get. Just my humble little opinion which means nothing to anyone but me.,lol.

Especially, as more RV businesses know and hear about what folks are saying about their business, they may, that's may, if they care in the first place, what folks say about how they conduct business.

I always tell folks at RV Parks about rvparkreview, and tell them I post info about their location.

Found out they are as nosy as I am about what folks say about parks and reviews.

just like the old saying, "Trust",,,With Verification", noth'n better that an overseer for any business, especially with the collective power of consumers. again, just mho.

Good luck, and happy travels.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Either a Fantastic Vent or Maxxair TurboMaxx will do the job nicely for you. I have one of each and ersonally I like the Maxxair because it stays open in rain or morning/evening dew (the Fantastic w/rain sensor keeps shutting down).

Shur-flo has a new model that is supposed to be pretty good as well, but I haven't seem one in operation yet.

Rv fans
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did this mod on my TT. The little noisy fan in the bathroom wasn't adequate (as you've determined) and although the kitchen had a vent, it had NO fan. Only had a fan in the hood over the cook top.

You do need to get on top of the roof to do part of the job. I think the entire job took me about 1-1/2 hours per fan, about 1/2 of the time on the roof and other half inside. You do not need to go back and forth, especially if you have a second pair of hands to help you. Perhaps you have a friend who would be willing to get on the roof while you work from below.

The end results are well worth it, both from the air movement perspective as well as the noise.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I changed out the little fan in the Bathroom, with a Sureflow, from CW. It works great and is quiet on all speeds, vs the old little fan. Works great. I installed the exhaust fan.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'm with RV Roamer. I installed a MaxxFann in the bathroom. CW sells them so they will install it. The installation is easy so even CW should be able to do it. We can leave the fan open in all kinds of weather. The on/off switch for the fan is the same switch we used for the old fan.

It has a thermostat control, or always on, three speeds, all quiet, filter and is reversable.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally posted by lwmuddy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have noticed that CW gets more play in irv2 than qualified local businesses. Why????

I guess because it is big and has a web site with a store locator button. Or maybe it owns this too like rv.net. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can clear that up for you, lwmuddy. CW is owned by the Affinity group, who also owns a lot of other RV related businesses like Good Sam, Woodall's, Motorhome and Trailer Life magazines, etc. on and on.

One thing they DO NOT own is iRV2.com, which I believe is the best resource on the net for RVers. iRV2.com is owned by Mr. Bill Rowell (founder) and Mr. Bob Gregory (co-owner). Both of these men take money out of their pockets every month to keep this site running. All of the moderators are UNPAID volunteers.

As additional info, the online-only catalog seller of RV equipment and supplies " RV UPGRADES " is a sponsor and advertiser here on iRV2.com. RV Upgrades is also NOT owned by CW (Affinity group), and therefore in my humble opinion, deserves all the business we can send them. I buy everything I can from them, and have received excellent service and good prices too! ED
Old 09-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I've got one of those super noisy buzzer fans in my rig too. I honestly can't figure why the manufacturers uses them in the bathroom and the nice quiet fantastic fans everywhere else in the RV.

Maybe it's to keep us from falling asleep in the shower.

Replacing the fan with either a Maxxair fan or Fantastic fan has been on my "to do" list for some time.