Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Faulty Automatic Xfer Switch

Was ready to drive south last Wed (Nov 21) but the day before got hit by the flu bug and been bedridden since. With the cold weather and rain in our area, I'm really eager to go but other than my physical condition right now, another one came Thanksgiving.

DW was loading the MH and got to the house telling me that there's no power to the MH. Told her to check the connection to the house and she said that it's on. Went outside, unplug the cable and then plug it again, this time I did not hear the ATS engaging. Checked the connection from the plug (20A) to the 50A cable to the MH, power is there but none to the MH.

With the info that I have provided (am still unable to really checked further since I can't even get up from bed), is the problem the transfer switch? Everytime I've hooked it up from the house, I could always hear the sound from the transfer switch engaging, this time around I did not. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Two links in this link provided.
You need to read the voltage inside the TS where power cord comes in, if you have voltage there with a wood stick or pencil, with rubber tip, operate the relays they maybe stuck and the relay contacts need to be cleaned. Wood stick so you do not short out the circuit board, may have residual voltage present.
Run the edge of a dollar bill through the contacts to clean the contacts, if you use a file or sand paper may remove contact material.
If this doesn't help may need new TS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #3

"007" my I suggest that you NEVER use a pencil for high voltage. Electricity runs right down that graphite center. Believe me when I was a Navy radar class I watched an instructor use a pencil to point to the magnatron. The wall really hurt him when he hit it.

I would suggest that you fire up the generator and see if you have power then. Then try switching to shore power again and see what happens.

How do you know there is 110V at the outlet you are using? Have you plugged in something to see if it actually works?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a powerline monitor of any brand, e.g. Progressive or Surgeguard? It will prohibit power from reaching the load center if it detects any of a variety of power problems, e.g. open ground or a missing hot leg.

You are probably using a 50/30 adapter plus a 30/20 adapter. Did you verify that power is getting through them to the 50A cord?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP,

My PD5200 ATS is normally at "rest" (e.g., de-energized) in the shore power position. When the generator is started, after voltage is stable, the unit transfers to the generator. When the generator is stopped, the ATS reverts to the shore power position. When I plug into SP, the thunk I hear is the EMS closing in. Are you sure that the sound you hear is from the ATS? Do you have an EMS? Is the shore power good (voltage to to high or to low)? I know your at a disadvantage. Can the DW check that the coach is getting power? Has she tested the receptacle in the garage with something that she knows works? Just some thoughts. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Faulty Automatic Xfer Switch

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments/responses. Feeling a bit better today, thanks for the sun finally showing up in our otherwise gray & overcast skies.
Managed to get an appointment tomorrow at one of our RV repair shops to have them diagnose and find out the problem.

007: I'll find out from them if as what you have suggested might be a possibility. Don't really have a warm feeling about this shop, but they're close and with my condition, I can't drive a long ways to have this checked.

Mike Canter: Fired up the genset (it's due for it's monthly 1-hr run), power was on, then after the genset run, re-connect the AC and no power again.

Gary RVRoamer: I have the portable Progressive EMS-PT50C but I don't use it when I'm connected to the house. Used all the adapters you mentioned, and I can only veify I have power up to the the 20A (the female end lights when power is available),but not from the 30/50A cable to the MH.

Again, appreciate all your responses. Hopefully the tech will be able to diagnose this correctly.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Doesn't the EMS-PT50C have, a visual display of voltage, current, frequency, and errors? JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

ROM, you never said how you verified how you had power to the shore power outlet. Are you saying that the extension cord has one of those little lights in the end of it when you have power?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
teddyu: sorry I forgot to include you in my responses yesterday - but as I mentioned to Gary RVRoamer, I don't use my EMS-PT50C when I'm plugged in at home.

Mike Canter: yes, I have those lights at the end when it's powered up.

To all, drove it up to the shop today but I guess they won't be able to look at it till tomorrow since they haven't called me today.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The most common transfer switch (Iota 50R) has a recall (replace the switch) Appears that among other things, it's a fire hazard!
Google "transfer switch recall"
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, finally received a call yesterday from the service center- they told me that the transfer switch is stuck to the generator mode (???) that's why no AC power is getting in to the coach. Again not very knowledgeable about this thing, I just hope they're right in their diagnosis. Ordered the part (not specific on the phone if it's the switch) and supposedly in a couple of days, they will receive it and finish the repair. Hoping for the best since if and when I'm well enough, I'm still heading south (Yuma).

H. Miller: I'll check it out but hopefully if I have the same switch, and they replaced it, then there's should be no problem. Thanks for the heads up!