Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
faulty batteries and high electric bill

I stored my RV for 4 months at a neighbors house where I just installed a 30/50 service box. I kept it plugged in the entire time. When we opened up the Rv there was an acrid and rotten egg smell which I immediately recognized as a battery issue. The cells in my 2 coach batteries were way down. Most had exposed plates. Dumb Dumb Dumb The Mercury SRM 27 batteries are 5 plus years old. My neighbor just called to tell me he got a $1200 electric bill. Could this be related? I just replaced the 2 batteries. Any insight besides check my battery levels more frequently?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you continuously run your automatic charger, you have to check your batteries at least once a month. They off-gas while charging and the water will be depleted. The off-gassing will put acid in the air and it will attach itself to metal. That is what you see and smell.

While charging, it will most often be a trickle charge and only bulk if real low, in either case, there is no way it used $1,200.00 in electricity. That is, unless you left other things on and you were in a very cold climate, including an electric bay heater that is running all of the time. My MH for normal operation for a month including heating, air conditioning, refer, electric water heater etc., in Florida, runs about $125/month. That is running either air or heat 80% of the time.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thank you Jim. As a noob I am l;earning something everyday and people like you are valued. I will never ever again let my battery electrolyte get low and I agree, I can not find a thing on the web that said this electric bill was possible off of a continmuous tricke charge. As a matter of FYI, everything was turned off.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
.......The off-gassing will put acid in the air and it will attach itself to metal. That is what you see and smell.
Yea, That's a problem for me also!

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Many people use mineral oil in the batteries to reduce the off gassing. I just put a product called Therm-oil in mine, it is more expensive than mineral oil, but is specifically formulated for the problem. In addition, without the off gassing, the water depletes much slower and requires less frequent refills.

Some will say that the oil is bad for the battery plates, most don't agree with the bad premise. I have left my MH for 6 weeks with the oil in it. In the past the corrosion was horrible when I returned after this period of time. I am anxious to see the difference, it should be dramatic. By the way, to clean the corrosion, mix baking soda with water and poor on the corroded areas, let sit, rinse and repeat until clean. It's amazing how fast it works and the end result.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Myth, how's it going? I did get the extended warranty, thanks for the past info. We will be heading your way this fall on our way to the Ballon Fiesta in October. Will keep you posted and maybe we can get together for dinner! Have you ever been to the Fiesta, living so close?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnb144 View Post
Thank you Jim. As a noob I am l;earning something everyday and people like you are valued. I will never ever again let my battery electrolyte get low and I agree, I can not find a thing on the web that said this electric bill was possible off of a continmuous tricke charge. As a matter of FYI, everything was turned off.
If you are going to continue to store at your neighbors, you may want to install a sub-meter on your 30/50 amp supply, it costs about $100.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sub metyer has already been decided if our friendhip survies.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Answered in greater detail in another forum.

Can the high bill be related to the bad batteries? YES!

Is the high bill related to the high batteries? I do not know

In short... I do not know if you need to pay your friend.. but you do need to replace your batteries and advise us what converter you have and test that converter.. Some converters plugging in all winter.. bad idea.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
I did replace batteries and all is working well. I contacted the manufacturer of my Intel Power 9100 Progressive Dynamics and followed their instructions to test the output. It was 13.68. You mentioned that their is more info in another forum. Where??? thanks my friend.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Mineral oils has been a satndard for me. Two oz in each cell and you will see a reduction in gassing, corrosion in the battery box area and the amount of water needed to maintain battery life.

Hint: You may want to try a disconect switch if you don't already have one in the coach. Unless there is a special situation you did not mention you should not need to be plugged in 24/7. I would only plug in if and when the voltage drops.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
For a very reasonable price, the 9100 series of PD converter can be converted to a decent 3 stage converter. (I just learned this recently myself on these forums...so credit belongs elsewhere)

PD9105, PD9105G Charge Wizard
Old 04-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #13

Check converter type, measure current

If you have a converter that uses a resonant type transformer it could cause a higher bill.

These types were used as they design of the transformer allows for a very constant output voltage over a wide input voltage range and output loads.

These are prefered when using generators or in places with not the best distribution systems.

The down side is the transformar is in saturation mode at all times, you can hear a strong hum from the converter when nothing is on.

We are adding a trickle charger to only "float" the batteries so the 120 volt shore line and everything connected to it is dead, either via switching off the converter or adding a secondary shore line as we do not need a 50 amp circuit to float the batteries.

Float current shoud be near 1% capacity of the installed battery, so if you havew a 12 volt battery rated at 200 amp hours the float current should be near 2 amps, less is better, more is worse.

The float voltage should NOT exceed 13.5 volts to avoid gassing off.

Measure with an amp meter the charge current into each battery plant.

Also measure the ac amps on your shore line while stored.

Electricity is sold in kilo watt hours, so volts * amps = watts, measure your amps, multiply by the line voltage, then divide 1000 by this number, now you have the KW load rate your coach is using. Multiply by 24 dor daily and by cost per unit on the bill and you get a general idea of what the cost will be, can also determine how much of the past bill was as it is safe to assume nothing has changed in the coach, you may determine that the coach was more or less than the claim of the neighbor, at least you will have a better understanding of how it got there and how to determine if changes you make will be of value.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
OK, just had to do the math--- Just went thru our last power bill, and I have a business in the basement--

Last month we went thru 1977 Kw of power, the bill was $187.00...

If your battery charger was stuck on the 50-amp "boost" 24/7 for a month (and managed to not blow a breaker or burn down the motorhome), you'd only be looking at 3600 Kw, which is less than double my usage...

Just my humble opinion, but there's no possible way your motorhome is the only reason for a $1200 light bill. Something else is up....

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote