Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Only the 47% get those payouts though, you and I could not....

it is sad .... very sad... and won't sustain for very much longer....

http://www.gop.gov/blog/10/04/08/oba...are-taxes-home
Hey John....I guess it is safe to assume you are not a retired senior "on-the-take" for Social Security, Medicare or any number of other "entitlements" offered to seniors. Safe to assume you are not a teacher, a nurse, a firefighter, a policeman, an office worker, a plumber, a electrician, a retail worker, or any number of a zillion other hard working jobs which do not pay well enough for you to qualify to pay federal taxes...albeit enough to pay payroll taxes, state taxes, sales tax, gasoline tax, alcohol tax, car registration tax, road tax, etc..... or unfortunate enough to have your home in the path of Katrina.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, How do they propose to get money out of MONACO COACH CORP?

Mike
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in agreement, the majority of folks that stayed there to help re-build and that lost everything that lived in those trailers were not what I consider 'freeloaders' any more than the '47%.'

But I will say about class action suits: I have yet to see one that counsel didn't suck up the lion's share of the award. There is no incentive for them to work on behalf of the individual plaintiffs, only to bump up the 'settlement' offer. Of course, since expenses are usually outside of the fee percentage, expenses usually run much higher in litigation anyway.

I remember a class action suit against a phone company years past, don't remember the particulars, but know that I received a 50 cent check and counsel for the suit received I can't remember how many millions. My damages were far more than the .50, but, like always, the real people damaged very rarely get even the amount they were damaged in class actions.

I also remember the tobacco lawsuit from Texas had to be re-structured for some reason rooted in attorney fees as well. But that has nothing to do with the formaldehyde issue in those units. They were slapped together as quickly as possible to meet an immediate demand and for whatever reason, quality control was not what it should have been. I'd rather stay in a formaldehyde trailer than in my car or a tent! Like someone said above...open the windows...
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ONLY winners in the vast majority of class actions are the attorneys. I have received checks for under $10 when the attorney fees were millions. If you truly have a good case then get your own attorney, you will always come out ahead. In one class action my losses exceeded $20,000 and I received a check for $9.14, it is still hanging un cashed on my wall. I will no longer be a member of any class action.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Is this a case of biting the hand that feeds?
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl View Post
Don, you're kidding right? The statement referring to the displaced residents of the aftermath of Katrina as "freeloaders" is completly out of line.
Those folks weren't freeloaders, that's why we pay taxes, to help out those in need, hoping it's not us. Same as home, auto, health and life insurance. I believe the manufacturers took advantage of a situation by putting the cheapest materials in these trailers they THOUGHT they could get away with. The issue of outgassing formaldehyde was known long before Katrina. If the lawyers had a decent bone in their bodies, they'd reduce their % of the award and put it where it could be best used.
I'm always disappointed in folks who claim they want to be left on their own, no taxes, no regulations, no government, until THEY want to drive on the highways, use the national, state, or local parks, or try to impose their values on others.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Several of you were right. I should have been more sensitive to the people that got help and then refused to leave the cruise ship where they were allowed to stay, refused to leave the trailers they got for free and oh yeah....ruined the SuperDome. You're right, they were so upset that the goverment didn't give them every free thing they should have.

I'm sorry, but it was the first time in my life that I was embarrassed to be an American. People around the world got to see a group turn into animlas when a disaster hit. Did you ever NOTICE how Japan responded to a disaster twice the size. They certainly didn't trash the places they got to live in for free. They cleaned up after themselves and didn't act like animals. Again, I'm sorry I'm not more sensitive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #22

Don, your right again...and to add...several flood ravaged areas within the lower 48 NEVER acted like many of the Katrina victims with their animal like actions. They didn't hollar at the gov't, they didn't go looting all the retail stores, they didn't make waves, they didn't want something for nothing etc etc....they stayed to themselves...rebuilt and aren't out trying to sue anyone because they didn't get enough freebies the 1st time.

Bottom line is every vehicle made has some form of out gassing when it is new, not just the trailers hauled down to Katrina.

Jack, social security is an entitlement? Doesn't 1 pay into that their whole working career? If your silly enough to build a home or buy a home under sea level...logic would dictate...flooding is in your future....wouldn't it?
BFlinn I have seen several "Katrina" trailers in this area for sale..I see nothing any different in the construction materials in those than the majority of all travel trailers being sold today. So to say they shortcut materials...I doubt it...and yes...they were short cut on the bells and whistles..but they were to be temporary housing. Just how much has your insurance rates increased due to this constant rebuilding of flood damaged areas? How long do we keep rebuilding? Personally I'm tired of it. People living by water know the hazards prior to moving there..a 1 time occurrence..well OK..but just how many more are allowed before living in those areas is outlawed?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agreed on the outgassing of new rigs. Since this is known though, it seems that there are options to design rigs to cycle fresh air better and use more friendly chemicals in the construction. Low VOC paint is just one example. Automatic "whole house fans" like what many homes have for local codes is another. The folks from Katrina are likely new to RVs and did not have the benefit of experience like what is on this board.

I'm hoping that when I get a chance to full time in a rig that there will be companies that advertise cleaner indoor air options and products. We all benefit.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot
The ONLY winners in the vast majority of class actions are the attorneys. I have received checks for under $10 when the attorney fees were millions. If you truly have a good case then get your own attorney, you will always come out ahead. In one class action my losses exceeded $20,000 and I received a check for $9.14, it is still hanging un cashed on my wall. I will no longer be a member of any class action.
maybe the beginning of the answer is to simply stop participating in these frivolousclass acton suits?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don
Several of you were right. I should have been more sensitive to the people that got help and then refused to leave the cruise ship where they were allowed to stay, refused to leave the trailers they got for free and oh yeah....ruined the SuperDome. You're right, they were so upset that the goverment didn't give them every free thing they should have.

I'm sorry, but it was the first time in my life that I was embarrassed to be an American. People around the world got to see a group turn into animlas when a disaster hit. Did you ever NOTICE how Japan responded to a disaster twice the size. They certainly didn't trash the places they got to live in for free. They cleaned up after themselves and didn't act like animals. Again, I'm sorry I'm not more sensitive.
I'm with Don on this one. Private insurance, paid for by each individual just in case something like this happened, should have paid to clean up this mess.
Why does an entire city thinks it is the governments (and taxpayers) problem to clean up?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #26

JimM68...X2
Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #27

Just trying to keep-up with all the love & compassion being display in this post. Started with the fact that some companies were found liable for construction methods and materials that were found to make people sick.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Just trying to keep-up with all the love & compassion being display in this post. Started with the fact that some companies were found liable for construction methods and materials that were found to make people sick.
X2

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. ~Winston Churchill

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No." ~Craig T. Nelson

Issues in New Orleans can probably all be blamed on the weak educational systems perpetrated by the people in power in Louisiana. THOSE are the people you can rail against.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote