Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
FEMA trailer settlement with Monaco and others

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-...ement-approved

Monaco, Gulfstream, ForestRiver and others are paying out in the settlement. One wonders if full time RV folks have a similar risk. If not, what are they doing different in the manufacturing process?

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So, A group of companies that includes Gulf Stream Coach Inc., Forest River Inc., Vanguard LLC and Monaco Coach Corp. will pay $20 million of the $37.5 million settlement with the trailer makers ... that's a pretty hefty sum from the trailer manufacturers.

And while I don't want to discount the attorney's work, they could potentially receive nearly 1/2 of the settlement funds...

Dan Balhoff, a court-appointed special master, will determine the plaintiffs' awards. Up to 48 percent of the total settlement money will be deducted for attorneys' fees and costs. Payments are expected to go out late this year or early next year.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
God Bless America....Where else in the world can you be given a FREE trailer to live in and then sue the company that made it. It's the same fumes in every new car and RV made in the past ten years. It didn't affect the millions of people that paid for their own cars and RVs, just the free loaders.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #4

Don..well said and SPOT on!

Totally ridiculous!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't disagree about the free comment, but it does seem that there are some manufacturing improvements to consider regarding chemicals used. It is not a surprise that formaldehyde levels are higher in a small space as compared to stick built homes, yet it does highlight the need for industry to find a better solution / less toxins. Even better venting / fresh air replenishment systems would make a big difference and we all benefit with better RVs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Don..well said and SPOT on!

Totally ridiculous!

Agree 110%.......
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Only the 47% get those payouts though, you and I could not....

it is sad .... very sad... and won't sustain for very much longer....

it is the nanny state because SOME know it all's made it that way and we,
that survived riding in the back window of our parents cars and
breathing their second hand smoke,
allowed it !

http://www.gop.gov/blog/10/04/08/oba...are-taxes-home
Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I support the outcome. Without meaningful government oversite it is left to the courts to make sure when people/companies harm someone they need to compensate them. The possibility of court action also serves to encourage people and companies to be more careful about their actions. Many of you who have posted negative comments about the class action would IMHO be taking a different position if you or your family had suffer illnesses after having been in those trailers.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
God Bless America....Where else in the world can you be given a FREE trailer to live in and then sue the company that made it. It's the same fumes in every new car and RV made in the past ten years. It didn't affect the millions of people that paid for their own cars and RVs, just the free loaders.

agree if it was such a problem why did they stay or at least open the windows and skylights.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #10

do you really think the manufacture will pay or pass it on to us the buyers. my money is on the pass it on
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs2320
I support the outcome. Without meaningful government oversite it is left to the courts to make sure when people/companies harm someone they need to compensate them. The possibility of court action also serves to encourage people and companies to be more careful about their actions. Many of you who have posted negative comments about the class action would IMHO be taking a different position if you or your family had suffer illnesses after having been in those trailers.
Very well stated. When companies cut corners and harm people, thank goodness for a court system which has enough integrity to look out for individuals.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #12

Don, you are the man, very well said.

As for as the chemicals none of the camper mfg made the OSB or the Partical borad that has the chemicals that have been used for decdades in the production of OSB and partical board. These products are in almost every home, office building, school and anything else made of wood products. But like Don says no where but america. Law suit happy is the new life. Besides all the money should go back to FEMA, they are the ones who bought them with our TAX Dollar.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
And while I don't want to discount the attorney's work, they could potentially receive nearly 1/2 of the settlement funds...

Dan Balhoff, a court-appointed special master, will determine the plaintiffs' awards. Up to 48 percent of the total settlement money will be deducted for attorneys' fees and costs. Payments are expected to go out late this year or early next year.
Settlement Amount = $42,600,000

Plaintiff's Attorneys Fee = $20,448,000 ($42.6M x 48%)
Assumed Number of Plaintiff's Attorneys = 10
Fee Amount to Each Plaintiff's Attorney = $2,044,800

Remaining Amount to Plaintiffs = $22,152,000
Number of Plaintiffs = 55,000
Settlement Amount to Each Plaintiff = $402.76

It's pretty obvious to me who the winners are, and it isn't the plaintiffs!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #14

Don, you're kidding right? The statement referring to the displaced residents of the aftermath of Katrina as "freeloaders" is completly out of line. If you were here and saw the aftermath it may change your mind and attitude somewhat. I support the ruling, wish it would have been more. The manufacturers knew and the result is obvious based on the settlement offer. People were given these trailers for a place of residence, they had lost their homes. Lost being a relative term, some were missing, gone, nothing but the slab. I was here for Katrina, I saw the devestation and knew people who had nothing after the storm. Did FEMA know? Good question for them to answer. All I know is this, if you lose everything you have except the clothes on your back, you feel fortunate to have had a "FEMA" trailer. And just for the record, I did not lose my home, nor did I live in a trailer. I'm thankful for that but we really need to understand the delima some of these people were in at the time. I don't think anyone that received a trailer expected the outcome. It's real, it happened.