Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

Fiberglass/epoxy the entire roof

I would like to replace my rubber roof by fiberglassing/epoxying the entire roof.
I'm worried I can't find anyone else who did it!
Any advices would be welcomed!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Phillipe....I think others have done some redesign of the roof materials as part of some refurb projects. There are some deep discussions out there and you can search for them using the search tools on the site. I do have a constructive comment that I will offer. Our MHs are dynamic creatures. They twist and flex as they move down the road and even as they sit still. Rubber or any other poly material used in roofing like TPO....all allow for that movement. Rigid material....does not flex well and as it gets hammered on by the forces that the coaches can apply .....it can crack and get fractured. Please keep this in mind as you go the time, effort and expense of applying a different design to your roof. I was not a fan of rubber either until I got some schooling and reading into the integrity of the material. My coach has has one application of Liquid Rubber (Liquid Roof) as I attempt to extend its life.... I am a firm believer in these tools...Enterna bond tape....Dicor Lap Seal and Liquid Rubber WOW....

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #3

There are products similar to truck bed spray liner that are being used on RV roofs. They flex and are bullet proof. I would suggest searching this forum and the internet for products and installers.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #4

One thing we learned in boatbuilding long ago is that glass over wood isn't a solution. The tiniest crack or leak, and there always is one, starts the rot and delam process.
If you wanted to paint thinned epoxy, like thinned Gluvit, prior to doing the rubber roof thing that would make sense. Just beware that these resins are quite brittle.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
I would like to replace my rubber roof by fiberglassing/epoxying the entire roof.
Philippe,

If you're anywhere near Florida, one place that does roof coatings is Dave's Permanent Roof Coatings. It is a white spray-on coating like truck bed liner that gruelens was talking about. I have no idea what the cost is, but I'd bet it's expensive. However, the good news is it looks like it is practically bulletproof.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I asked the Rhino Linings guys and I think they were called RVForeverRoof and both places said a typical 3 coat application on a 40 foot MH was about $3000.00. The photos they had of the way the material is applied around vents and AC units is very nice and makes a great seal. I think this would be a lot better than trying to glass over a rubber roof. I bet you couldn 't buy that much fiberglass mat and resin for under $1000.00, and this roof is guaranteed for life.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Rhino Linings

I thought that Rhino lining was some type of miracle coating until saw a few YouTube videos on their complaints and refusal to help customers.
It will not stick to anything that is slick. Google Rhino Lining complaints.
If it was a miracle cure, I believe the manufacturers would have used it by now.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

Thank you all for taking the time to help me!
Regarding "miracle coatings", I'm very sceptic. I had used some to fix my leaks, and none worked. And, if there was such a thing, everybody would be using it, starting with the manufacturers. Also, I'm sure that it's possible if you put the price. But I'm not trying to spend the price of a new RV to fix the roof of my old one...
I finished stripping my old rubber roof, it's not pretty! But I was plaisantly surprised to find a metal frame.
I'm still unsure how I'll proceed.
The easiest would be to reinstall a new rubber roof. I estimate the total cost of material around $600. But I can't walk on it, and in a couple of years, I'll have to do it all over again.
I could cover my roof with epoxy and 3 layers of fiberglass mat. I have to check the price of the Epoxy.
Or I could do a wood mold of my roof, make a fiberglass roof, and screw it down where the trims of the rubber roof go.
The cost of doing it like that could go over $1,000, but I have a big roll of mat left from a previous project (water slide); so I think the price would be very similar than the new rubber roof. But it would be much more labor intensive! I would only hope the extra work would be rewarded by not having to think about that roof ever again! I know, I know, I'm dreaming, but at least not having to redo everything every few years!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #9

Phillipe,
Before you get too discouraged here, take a look at the link below. I've seen this coating in person, many times and, it by far, would be superior to you replacing your rubber roof with anything but this coating. They do some serious prep work to make sure the coating sticks to what it's been applied to. We had some body and paint work done by these folks and, it was fantastic, the work they did.

While I was there, I enquired about the roof coating. There were 6, very nice coaches there either already had it done, or, were in the prep process of having it done. There was one Providence, one Country Coach, two higher end Fleetwood units and, I forgot the last one. They explained to me the whole process. It's about 3/16" thick when done and, it provides even a better sound insulation than the rubber did in the first place.

They do almost all of the coaches in SILVER because it's rated the best in terms of ultra-heat reflective capability. They can tint it on the sides to match your full body paint scheme if you desire, for a slight fee more. He told me the cost per foot up to about a 33 or 35 foot unit and then, it changes.

Now, this is of course all in the San Diego area but, a call to them might help with the explanation of the process and, what's what in terms of warranty etc. Then, if you get interested, you can call a service center that does the same application in your area to compare. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had a coach that was in need of a new roof and did not want to get rid of the coach. If I recall, they have a pretty darn good warranty with it too.

Some of those coaches that were having it done, had rubber roofs but, not all. Some had fiberglass roofs too.

San Diego RV Center - Service, Parts, Paint, Body, Warranty, Consignment

Check out the video and see if there's anything you like.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
RVs with fiberglass roofs are built up of many layers of mat and roving, with gel coat surface. They are built upside down in a mold, like the hull of a boat. The gel coat is sprayed in the mold, then mat, resin, and cloth are layered in, cured, and removed from the mold. I doubt if trying to build one up with epoxy resin on the roof of an RV would last.
I really suggest you look into re-doing your EDPM (synthetic rubber) roof coating. Properly done and cared for, these roofing materials can last for decades. They are used on building roofs around the world and prove to be very durable.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
i did alot of this type of work in my past

the cost is high for how much you have to have

if you RV is 30 feet long or longer and the roofing was made for TPO or EPDM rubber then your roof is made to twist going down the road

if you try to stop this twist you well tare the roof or side walls in every day driving

i would not edit / mod what you have in less its a 25 foot RV

i moved from rubber to TPO good for 30 years home install and can get a 40foot piece for under 100$
Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post

if you RV is 30 feet long or longer and the roofing was made for TPO or EPDM rubber then your roof is made to twist going down the road

if you try to stop this twist you well tare the roof or side walls in every day driving

i moved from rubber to TPO good for 30 years home install and can get a 40foot piece for under 100$
Can you pm me the source of the TPO roofing? My MH will need roofed this summer.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #13

Quote:
I to have been thinking about glassing my roof. I will follow this thread with interest
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post

This is a very good point. Fiberglass is rather rigid, and the flexing of the RV may cause cracks. I also used to work in fiberglass. It looks easy, but it can be very tricky. A lot of garage-shops sprang up in the 1960s, but most of them quickly went out of business. There used to have a saying in the fiberglass industry - "Loose your a** in fiberglass."

Tiffin Motorhomes is a good example of the kind of trouble you can get into with fiberglass roofs. They had been using fiberglass on the flat part of their roofs for several years with no problems. The curved edges where the roof meets the sidewalls were formed aluminum.

Then around 2007, they went to a 1-piece molded fiberglass roof which combined the edge radii and the flat part of the roof. Shortly thereafter, owners started experiencing cracks not only on the edge radii, but all the way across the roof in some cases. Tiffin tried reinforcing the edges with extra layers of glass, but it didn't help. That made the roof more rigid, which have made matters worse. They finally came up with a tougher (somewhat more flexible) resin that seems to have solved the problem.

DIYers don't have much choice when it comes to materials, and they can't afford to hire polymer chemists as consultants when they run into problems. I would stick with rubber or TPE.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof