Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
What I used to do with big trucks was not to pull up beside the pump. I would stop with the front of the truck even with the pump, and the hose was usually long enough to reach both tanks.

I've never done that, I would go across the cat walk behind the cab or slide the filler hose under the truck, obviously he can't go across the cat walk so maybe your idea would work if the hose is long enough but with most hoses tethered up high I'd be afraid of dragging it across the hood of the truck.

92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
during refueling fill both tanks, once you are on the road an traveling to your destination, the connecting fuel line between each tank will equalize the fuel levels in both tanks.

tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
I've never done that, I would go across the cat walk behind the cab or slide the filler hose under the truck, obviously he can't go across the cat walk so maybe your idea would work if the hose is long enough but with most hoses tethered up high I'd be afraid of dragging it across the hood of the truck.
If you stay far enough back you can pull the hose around the front of the truck and not touch the hood. I would pull the tethered hose down and poke it under the front of the front wheel and pull the rest around to the other side. That way it kept all the shinny stuff clean.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Make sure that you don't have ONE tank with dual fills. If you do and you fill from both at the same time, you WILL have fuel spilling from one or the other. Don't ask me how I know; I just do

BTW, don't need to apologize for being a newbie; at one time or another, we all were. Also, don't always believe what the salesman says. I once had a salesman tell me a used truck I was buying did not have cruise control. Lo and behold, it did. Sometimes I think vehicle salesmen will lie to you just to see if you'll buy their line.

My son had a salesman try to sell him a maintenance package that would include changeing the points and plugs on his new car. The salesman asked why Bill was laughing .Bill asked him where he would find plugs and points on a diesel.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #19
what size are your saddle tanks? on my 2575 international i had twin 121 gallon tanks. first problem where the size of the tanks (weight) when i got out of the truck i could feel the tank move under me ( frame and factory mount flexing) easy fix the way the mounts were built, some what of a c-chanel with ears, i could take 2" 1/4 wall box tubing to tie the tanks together (had 3 mounts per side did all 3). now one tank would push on the other, equal weights. second problem only bigger. cross over line were feed from under the tanks. coming off a job site a broken piece of concrete came up and kissed the 90 deg. fitting (lucky it only cracked the fitting). fix was to take the tanks off one at a time (pumping fuel to other tank). putting allen plug in under hole and welding new flange to back of tanks so nothing could get at them and using 2" to protect cross over line (also put shut off valves on both tanks on the cross over line, just in case). here in california if you are caught with a contaminated or hazardous spill the fines started at $5,000 and that was 10 yrs. ago. so you might check your cross over line. and yes tank mounts do break. got a call one morning back bracket broke on one tank and that part of tank was setting on the fryway friends truck and there was a sigaleart. was lucky it was a dump truck so used the box and hoist to lift tank back into position and chained it to frame. got it back to shop and fixed and reinforced mounts. why did the mount break ? each tank was independant of the other, mount couldn't take the pumping action. so just a suggestion check your tanks... and for those of you that are going to say the factory knows what they're doing. how do you think they make their money ?? they build in things to break (designs) so you'll be back. they don't make that much money on the vehicle sale. they make it on the parts and service bay.

wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote