Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Finally on our first boon docking trip

We are on our first boon docking trip to learn our new to us RV and get all the dogs used to this new life style we plan on. Great thing the digs are adapting better then expected.

So far all is going great. Only 1 issue thus far has popped up. The CO alarm at the bottom of the refeig went off. We don't think there is a leak. The winds were coming from the southeast yesterday very strong, the back of the stove is facing the same direction as the winds were coming. The windows and door had been open all day and when I was cooking the door which is next to the refig was closed so the cross winds were not going past the refig.

We think the winds pushed the gases in the direction that set the unit off or the unit needs replaced due to it being old, 2006. I read in the owners manual a malfunction could be due to needing new batteries which means a new CO monitor unit.

We camped an entire week before this trip at home cooking all meals in the RV sd well I baked cookies and it never went off.

Any thoughts out there?

Today there are no winds so I will see if this happens again.

Also this morning we had to put the gen on cuz the batteries got low. Is this something that happens quickly boon docking? How often should the gen need to be run to keep juice in the batteries?

Thanks for any input.
Shaz

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #2

In my 2006 29R, what you're calling a CO detector was a propane detector. The CO detector was in the bedroom. I had to replace it in 2011. Other stuff will set off the propane detector: Any aerosol, battery gassing, and dog farts. As a precaution, you should check the water levels in your batteries under the entry stairs.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #3

The it I replaced was the propane detector. The company that made the original went out of business. The replacement's foot print was a little smaller so I had to do some slight modification to hole.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
In my 2006 29R, what you're calling a CO detector was a propane detector. The CO detector was in the bedroom. I had to replace it in 2011. Other stuff will set off the propane detector: Any aerosol, battery gassing, and dog farts. As a precaution, you should check the water levels in your batteries under the entry stairs.
Chas,

Thank you for the information. The detector at the bottom of the frig says carbon dioxide\ propane alarm. I used the stove this morning before opening all windows and door and it has not gone off yet today. The winds have picked up again from the same direction today I guess I will see what happens when I close things up to cook.

The are the detector is in was very warm but cooler in the front and back bedroom sorta like the hallway from the front to the back.

Again thank you for the help.
Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
Old 09-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The need to run your generator is normal. Parasitic drain on the system alone plus the use of lights, TV, refrigerator etc will drain you batteries fairly quickly.

If you do not have any solar charging capability I would think you may have to run your generator 2-4 hrs per day depending on power consumption. I have 320 watts of solar charging capacity on the roof so I can hold my own during the mild weather. If you run any fans or your furnace at night it will drain the batteries quickly.

If you have an inverter this could be even worse as it will drain batteries faster. If you try to make coffee or run the microwave it will compound the usage

I had a small Class C that I installed a 2nd battery with isolator. I would use 1 battery and would switch in the AM. If I didn't drive that day to charge batteries I would have to run generator to charge.

I would practice being conservative on energy consumption while you are getting use to boon docking.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of odors can set off the detector, if Windows coming in refer vents you might have been getting CO2 from refer on gas. When boondocking we run the gen for a time in the morning and evening, charge batteries, hot water heater, run micro, and make coffee, then in the evening micro again, TV, hot water again and electric heat or A/C if hot or cool enough to be needed, also charging cell phones or anything thatneeds the 120volts. This combines use and saves on gas/propane.

LEN
Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Solar Panels are on the list if things we need to get before heading out FT.