Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #15
My coach books for 45k..10k more than I owe...At this point we've decided to make another trip cross country..purchased 4 house batteries and fixing all else for the trip...Everything in a1 condition. All we we asking is for the dealer to take the coach, assume the bank note and sell me another...It isn't like they aren't going to make a profit.....

sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 AM   #16
Find a different dealer.

If your current coach is worth $45k and you owe $34k, you should be able to find a dealer who will give you $45k for it. You pay off your loan and have $11k down on the new coach.

1992 Four Winds 29'
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #17
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Find a different dealer.

If your current coach is worth $45k and you owe $34k, you should be able to find a dealer who will give you $45k for it. You pay off your loan and have $11k down on the new coach.
X2. That is what I would try to do. Good luck.
2011 40' Monaco Cayman PBQ ISC 360
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
CampingCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #18
You say your RV books for $45,000, but it looks like that dealer is saying its worth $34,000.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bottom line, once again, I just went thru over a month of negotiations with a trade in and various dealers. At least six from all parts of the U.S. First point, they are NOT going to give you low retail NADA book for your trade, period!!! There going to give you wholesale NADA plus or minus! If the retail NADA IS 45K the wholesale is most likely 25K to 30K, NO DEALER is going to pay off your loan and sell you a new or used coach at 30 percent off MSRP or low NADA retail! You've either got to accept the wholesale price or sell your coach by owner. The higher up the food chain a trade is the tougher it is to trade and get "fair market value." At this point in time it's a sellers market . The dealer holds the trump cards. However, that puts you in a good position to sell on your own. The hassle is putting up with the scammers, tire kickers, and those that want to negotiate you to BACK to wholesale value. After going through all this PITA Tranactions my DW made the decision for me. We're keeping our coach for two more years. That will make it five years of age, still easy for a potential buyer to finance and allow newer late model coaches were shopping new to come into the used market at a depreciated cost. I don't like buying used but have learned so much from this forum over the years it will allow me to use due diligence in purchasing a late model high end coach. Well, that's my plan for now, we'll see.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #20
That dealer won't even give me 34k for it...Wants to add the balance on the new loan...I'm not going for that.....
Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #21
Don't make sense huh?? I'm not upside down on it...My decision is keep it for a few more years, pay it off then find a reputable dealer....
Old 03-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #22
No, I'm not upside down....But, I'm going to keep it for a few more years and pay if off..Also I could just get another for 99k, put adown payment on it and sell my other outright myself...I could afford the two motorhomes until I sell one....It's just I was trying to understand why they would give you absolutely nothing for your coach then resell it for whatever and expect to tack the payoff on the new loan...
Old 03-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It appears he wants you to pay him $34K to take it from you. Even if he gave you only $34K you should only owe the amount of the new MH. I see by your profile you live in Oregon. I'm sure some members here know some reputable dealers you can deal with there.
2005 Kountry Star 3907, ISC330, Spartan chassis, M&G braking, Blue Ox Aventa XL
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #24
Clayobx is correct.

RV Dealers are in this to make money. It's a business. What a coach is "worth" is highly subjective. Fair market value, auction value, low retail, and retail - can all be miles apart. The best way to check the value for your RV is to search on RVTrader or RVT etc. and see what a similar coach is "selling for" keep in mind the asking price on the advertisement is never the price paid. We all negotiate down from that price.

Dealers often take trades at NADA wholesale less 10-20% - or slightly above an wholesale auction value. Even lower if you have abnormal wear and tear or an ill fated engine, coach combination or layout. Take a front engine diesel from an orphan manufacturing company etc. and you may look at 50% or less of NADA wholesale.

Again, the best likely out come of more money in your pocket and not the dealer is to sell the coach yourself and buy the next one with cash or credit.

Trades make the math tricky. Many times people are told they are getting top dollar for a trade-in only to over pay on the new RV. Every RV that rolls off a dealer lot starts its fair market value at @35- 40% of it's sticker price and then drops 3-5% yearly until year 7-10. We think because we are making big payments we are ok, but RVs are not investments. They will all be worth less in a year than they are today.

And as of this year, it really is a sellers market, Five + years of a bad economy and manufacturing bankruptcy etc., has good clean units bumping up in price by as much as 10% over a year ago. So that's good news if you are selling.
2011 Southwind 32 vs
Workhorse w22
TweetThisRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #25
The tax is a killer. I am inclined to re-locate and do the snow bird thing. The ]population of S Dakota is much bigger than the census.

beverly643 is offline   Reply With Quote