Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

Finding the right motorhome

Hi to everyone. I'm planning on retiring. Next fall. We want to go see the country in a motorhome. I drive for UPS, and have about 3.5 million miles logged, that's pulling triple trailers. We want a nice used motorhome with plenty of power, this is why I joined this forum. I need to do my own research so I'm calling on you for any help. THANKS
Racn4ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

I looked for a lot time, I thought it was about a year, but my boss remembers me looking for a diesel pusher for almost 2 years before I purchased mine, Im pretty picky when it come to a large purchase like that. Be patient, figure out what is important to you, big engine? 2 slides? 3 or 4 slides? Certain layout? Specific chassis? Weight capacity? Tow capacity? Dry camping or park to park? There are so many variables, don't let it scare you but you have to have a plan. Ask lots of questions now and avoid problems later.
RescueRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racn4ds View Post
Hi to everyone. I'm planning on retiring. Next fall. We want to go see the country in a motorhome. I drive for UPS, and have about 3.5 million miles logged, that's pulling triple trailers. We want a nice used motorhome with plenty of power, this is why I joined this forum. I need to do my own research so I'm calling on you for any help. THANKS

Your last sentence seems to have a built in contradiction. Anyhow, here goes.

First, every answer you get here will be different. Many will tell you to get what they have. You'll be more confused after a dozen or so posts than you were before you asked the question. Only you know what you want, although the other half of "we" may have a say in the matter. Get the one she wants and you'll be the happiest guy in town. That's the best coach.

What's your budget for the coach?
What is your annual operating budget, including, fuel, maintenance, storage, insurance, allowance for replacement of tires, batteries, etc?

How old of a coach are you willing to buy?

For touring the country in a nice coach with plenty of power a diesel pusher is the only way to go.
Do you plan to tow a vehicle or trailer?

Do you own a towable vehicle or trailer?
If not, what is your budget for either of those items?
Is there an RV service center near you that specializes in a particular brand?

What features in a coach, other than nice and powerful, are important to you?

Floor plan, interior decor, slides, number of bathrooms, washer and dryer, residential refrigerator, size of holding tanks, one piece windshield, size of windows, heating system, storage, exterior design, Cummins, Cat, Detroit? It never ends.

Have you looked at a number of coaches? Go to an RV show and look at everything. Ignore the salesmen as best as possible. Visit the various "Owner's" forums here and browse the threads to see what types of problems they have. If you find a trouble free model please send me a private message.

Enjoy the search.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:01 AM   #4

There really is no wrong answer to size of motorhome for a couple to see the US, at lot depends on the style of travel you want to do. If you plan to full time or part time. Most people will tell you to get a big diesel pusher with lots of slides, some may tell you to get a Sprinter based class B or C so you can get off the major routes and get into more remote off grid campgrounds. Others something in between.

When it comes to motorhome travel, you tend to see 2 different modes of operation, those people who want to see the US from a motorhome, and those that use a motorhome as a basecamp to see the US.

The first method involves frequently moving the coach from place to place every few days, with or without a smaller exploration vehicle in tow. The second often involves much longer stays measured in multiple weeks or even months in one place set up as a base camp, and using the smaller exploration vehicle to survey a much wider area, perhaps a 75-100 mile radius.

Regardless of what you decide to buy, be aware that you will likely get it wrong, or at least the grass may look greener on the other side. Research goes a way to telling you what is right for you, but it is living in it and using it that tells you what you should buy next time, so for a first coach, buy something used, maybe 10-15 years old from a higher quality manufacturer so someone else has taken the big initial depreciation hit with an expectation that you may be selling it in a couple of years once you have a better idea of what is right for you.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Fellow retired driver with a few miles (and calluses as well)

check my tag line to see what we ended up with ...very satisfied with the brand

Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting

Remember!!!!
Every day you "put off" retiring...is just one LESS day you have remaining to enjoy being RETIRED !!!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Lots of good folks here as you have already seen. They have given you some great advice.

Two things stick out for me
1. your first coach is the learning tool
2. Floor plan is VERY important. IF the floor plan does not really work for you then no matter on what coach you buy it won't be "right"

Good luck in your search and congrats on the upcoming retirement.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Only you know what you want, although the other half of "we" may have a say in the matter. Get the one she wants and you'll be the happiest guy in town. That's the best coach.
Oh honey, here's the best advice yet regarding our coach selection![emoji6]

It's right up there with "Happy wife, happy life!"
Old 07-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #8

Thank you for your thoughts. Right now I'm Leaning towards 36ft 400 HP pre DEF coach. I can go longer but I was told its hard to find a place to park with a longer coach in state and federal parks(Yellowstone etc.) But 40 ft is not a deal breaker. Yes make the wife happy, she needs open floor plan with plenty of slides and head room. My budget. Is about $125000 but I've seen alot of nice coaches in the $70000 to $90000 range
Racn4ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

No DEF, no DPF, no EGR, those were a must for me, I ended up with an ISL 370 h.p. they have a know problem with the lift pump that is an easy fix, and in my opinion a fair trade off to not have any of the smog b.s. As far as layout goes, not a single one had exactly what I wanted, I got the kitchen layout I like, no dinette, but I prefer a slightly different bathroom layout, it still works perfectly fine though and because of it we ended up with a king size bed. I never thought we need it, but wow is it nice. A lot of folks on here seem to say that the layout is the most important thing, and I understand that cause your living in it, but in my opinion you can adapt to almost anything. I think the chassis -engine - transmission - electrical stuff is more important. I'll take a reliable unit that has a sink out of place over a perfect floorplan that has a crap service record any day
Old 07-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racn4ds View Post
Thank you for your thoughts. Right now I'm Leaning towards 36ft 400 HP pre DEF coach. I can go longer but I was told its hard to find a place to park with a longer coach in state and federal parks(Yellowstone etc.) But 40 ft is not a deal breaker. Yes make the wife happy, she needs open floor plan with plenty of slides and head room. My budget. Is about $125000 but I've seen alot of nice coaches in the $70000 to $90000 range
One thing that I cannot stress enough.......
BEFORE you even get serious about any RV that has slides..

Tour the coach with ALL the slides retracted FIRST!!!
IF you have full access to all things needed to live in the coach with it "closed up"
(think truckstop parking/WallyWorld/ roadside rest areas/ any area where there is no room for slides extended...)
If it Passes the closed up tour & usage

Then go ahead and investigate that coach further...
With you having a career of drag'n "wiggle wagons" around, I suspect you will migrate to a pre def/egr/re-gen. 40'+ DP with tag..
I sure did...

Just for "Git's & Shiggles"...
Here are some "dream maker" ideas....
ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #13

Good point saddlesore, that was one of my requirements as well, that is why I have only the 2 slide model not 4. It seems like when you have opposing slides they are pretty unusable when in. And if your not thinking about it when looking, you may never notice considering the slides are out when they are on the dealer lot.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #14

Racn4ds,

Welcome to IRV2. Another resource to consider is RV.org. They rate RV to help you avoid the no so good ones. They have a lot of information to help you determine what type of unit to buy even though you all ready narrowed it down to a Class A. Good RV hunting!
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome