Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fire Safety Video

A Class C was apparently laboring up a steep grade into the wind, suffered an engine fire.

The bystander narrating his homemade video below is lamenting not having a fire extinguisher to save the rig, implying the fire started small and grew.

I just mounted a second bottle, accessible from the outside, under the driver's area.

Good food for thought.

Click HERE for amateur video of the blaze at full involvement, as fire trucks are arriving.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I carry 4... One next to the driver, one in kitchen (special for kitchen type fires), one in the bedroom and one in the propane bay (it doesn't lock)
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hate to see something like that. Good lesson though on the availability of fire extinguishers.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #4

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that a fire that originates from sticking brakes(or similar) won't be put out by an extinguisher. You will have so much red hot metal you need to remove the heat with water. The ext will knock the flames down but it will keep reflashing until you get the heat source cooled down and glowing red metal stays hot a long time unless you get water on it. Just FYI.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I currently carry five extinguishers and they are available on both side of my coach in unlocked compartments.

Had two blowouts at the same time on a travel trailer I was towing years ago and the tires almost caught on fire by the time I got stopped. That's when I decided the sorry fire extinguisher that comes with an RV is not the best.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety