Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #15

Robi. The business owner Ralph K------- was killed 3 weeks ago while wotking in the shop. Currently, there are ongoing discussions with the family as to the future of Fire Fight. Thus at this point everything seems to be on hold, i.e. production receiving and'or shipping orders, etc. I was in discussions with Ralph as to my becoming an outside sales rep.for Fire Fight and as ypu can imagine this is also on hold pending what the family decides to do with the company. Sorry to be the bearer of such tragic news, regards Ken Roberts...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #16

Ron, maybe you are not a believer of the old adage that a picture is worth a thousand words as there have been literally dozens on sites such as this over the last 5 years or so. Personally, yes I have seen one on fire. It had been parked by my neighbor only 20-30 minutes before in his own driveway and was not yet hooked up to utilities. By time the fire department got there some 15-20 minutes later they were hosing down a charred shell. It took the insurance adjuster less than 30 seconds to write it off as a total. It was not a very pretty sight.

Yes, this is used while selling automatic systems. It is not meant to be a scare tactic; but, more of an awareness of the fact that 1) it does happen and 2) you need to recognize that once a fire breaks out it is only a matter of minutes between that and a total job.

BTW, do you carry fire insurance on your home? Would your decision to buy that be contingent on having actually seen a house burn to the ground?.

Whether you ever buy such a system or not it is important to at least be aware of what such systems are designed to do----and that is to protect property and more importantly save lives.

This is not meant to be a witch hunt but purely an opportunity for you and others to explore options, Regards, Ken Roberts

Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
how many of you have actually seen as motorhome on fire? I have been on the road for 10 years and I have not. a good way to sell something I think
In my short 5 years of RV travel I have seen 2 RV's that had fires. My first MH had an electrical fire in front of my house. The RV started to fill up with smoke and I was lucky enough to see it and unplug the power before it actually caught on fire.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We saw a TT burn to cinders some years ago at Emerald Isle, NC. Fire was started in the fridge compartment. Last fall, we saw a motorhome on the interstate shoulder in SC that had just burned to the frame. It was a Tiffin DP.

I installed the engine compartment system and the Halon bottle in the fridge compartment after seeing the presentation by Mac the Fire Guy at the IRV2 National Rally a couple of years ago.

I was sorry to hear of Ralph's tragic death. He was very helpful to me when I was installing his system in my engine compartment.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've seen the usual YouTube videos but have never actually seen a burning motorhome. Like any mishap, it can happen. However, as a practical matter, I suspect that most RVers (including myself) have not seen "an RV burning by the side of the highway". If we did, we'd probably all have fire suppression systems installed.

While fire suppression systems are definitely nice to have, the most bang for the buck is still the effective placement of smoke detectors. Fortunately, all new motorhomes come with them already installed.

Jack
Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There have been many discussions on fires in Motor Homes on irv2.
Most have been with the refrigerator fires from defective cooling units and the recalls that are suppose to correct Mfg's problems but have failed with additional fires after recall.
We also have a very good write up by "Cruzer", member of irv2, on fire suppression and installations in motor homes.
The Halon gas extinguishers are very dangerous to exposure to oneself and can effect your nervous system according to a fireman friend of mine.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Let me add some info. Todays Halon is very different from the old Halon that was considered dangerous. I believe it was the Montreal Protocol that forced the change. I have been in Halon flooded spaces while in the US Navy three times and it has not given me any problems. You still should not remain in the Halon flooded area and should still get out as soon as possible. The real problem with Halon in an engine, generator or refrigerator compartment is if you are driving down the road at 65 mph and a fire is detected and it is fired off the Halon is not contained in the compartment because of wind so the fire may reflash and come back. The foam agent is the best for engine or generator fires because most of the fires are going to be oil or fuel fed and the foam will stay on the fuel or oil and stop reflash. You have to have an automatic system that will detect and supress the fire. If you are driving down the highway and have a engine or generator compartment fire you are not going to know until you smell it, see the smoke or flames or everyone honking at you. The fire will do too major damage by the time you see it and pull over. You want it to fire off automaticaly and tell you that it has detected the fire so you don't keep driving and pumping out fuel or oil and get a reflash. Same way when you are asleep, you want it to detect the fire and fire off automatically the same time it wakes you up so you can get out of the MH.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roberts View Post
The business owner Ralph K------- was killed 3 weeks ago while wotking in the shop.
That is terrible news. Ralph gave me personalized service when he helped me design my system. I spent alot of time on the phone with him. He was as honest as the day is long.

So sad...

I just checked and the Fire Fight site appears to have been taken down.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen a number of vehicle fires either close up or remotely (Remote operated video camera) I've seen the results, close up.

The closest I have gotten to an RV fire was a Travel Trailer and pick up truck

The trailer had smoke damage.... The pick up was TOAST (Engine fire if I had to guess) No injuries, fire on scene. Buddy on scene, nothing for me to do but drive on.

Best place to be in a fire... Watching on a remote video camera.!!!!!

Would you like to see the cameras I used.. MDOT - Michigan Department of Transportation and find any camera on I-96 in Detroit, or I-75 or I-94 or I-696 or M-39 or M-10 withing 20 miles of Detroit. Over 150 cameras.. And I had tilt/pan/zoom/more control!!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear of Ralph's passing. Between Ralph and Mac the Fire Guy there was a real need being filled there. I talked at length with both Ralph and his sales manager, Jim Bounds when doing an article on fire supression systems for RV Magazine and was impressed with their knowledge. Hopefully a way can be found for this product to continue.

When I installed my on-board automatic engine bay fire supression system I also incorporated an alarm. There's two major points that I've learned when dealing with automatic fire supression systems that I'll pass along.

1) Any gas, such as Halon or whatever is designed to supress the fire by choking off any oxygen, therefore it needs to be deployed into an enclosed area. By the way, "Halon" is obsolete but that term is still being used for any gas, such as FE36 and HFC227. Technically the correct term now being used is "clean agent gas". Using FireFight's compact system in an RV fridge situation is a great fit. Small enclosed generator compartments are also a good application. Large vented arreas, like the engine bay on a diesel pusher, are not good applications because the cooling system fan will quickly evacuate the gas. In those applications a foam type retardant is the best system to use. There are many designer style AEFF foams currently available. The ColdFire system I installed in our coach is one example. It's blended with an antifreeze to prevent freezing in cold weather and does an excellent job of cooling the substrate fuel below the flash point.

2) An automatic extinguisher will only run until the retardant is exhausted. Once it's gone, the fire can flare up again if it is hot enough, has oxygen, and the fuel is still present. In an engine bay this is not good because chances are the source of the fire was a fuel leak or hydraulic oil leak that ignited once it hit the hot turbocharger. As long as the engine is still running it is pumping that fuel source and the fire will continue after the automatic extinguisher has exhausted it's retardant. For this reason an alarm system is imperative. An alarm will give you enough warning for you to pull over and shut down the engine. As such the automatic extinguisher will fight a holding action to give you time to that you can pull over, shut down, and either attack it with a hand-held extinguisher or have enough time to bail out with your family and pets. Without that alarm the odds of ever seeing the fire before the retardant is depleted are extremely slim.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post

That is terrible news. Ralph gave me personalized service when he helped me design my system. I spent a lot of time on the phone with him. He was as honest as the day is long.

So sad...

I just checked and the Fire Fight site appears to have been taken down.

Craig
Ralph did the same for me when I needed help in my installation of two fire suppression systems in my coach, one for the engine and one for the Norcold cavity.

Both Ralph and Jim Bounds were at a seminar attended by the Monaocers members held at Lazy Days CG in Tampa back in February. Very sad that Ralph is now gone.

The Fire Fight web site is still active, possibly you made a typing error.

Try this link. Firefight1 Products

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, the main site is still up, but click on "Products" and it will tell you that orders cannot be processed at this time.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
For this reason an alarm system is imperative. An alarm will give you enough warning for you to pull over and shut down the engine. As such the automatic extinguisher will fight a holding action to give you time to that you can pull over, shut down, and either attack it with a hand-held extinguisher or have enough time to bail out with your family and pets.
Cruzer, please advise what type of alarm you have installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The Fire Fight web site is still active, possibly you made a typing error.
Yep, sure did...I forgot the "1" after "Firefight". Thanks.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I picked up an alarm on closeout at West Marine. It was more than I needed but the price was good. Most automatic extinguishers come, or can be equipped, with a low pressure switch. As soon as the pressure drops, the contacts close. You can connect anything to that switch, including a DIY alarm that you might build with Radio Shack parts.

Here's my system installation - Automatic Engine Fire Extinguishing System

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote