Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Thanks guys. I installed those screens on the HWH to help prevent any bug entry, but I suppose a small bug could fit through the screen? The tech did not have an opportunity to check for that, as I brought in the electronic parts for him to check. (Coach was at campsite and I was fairly convinced it was an elec issue, as when it completely failed I didn't even get a click when I turned it on.) I will check today. I am not inclined to start drilling holes in the door yet, as I suspect that'll void my warranty. But... Don't you think if a spider web or nest was inside there, it would quickly turn to dust on the first flame? I could understand a mud dauber nest causing a problem (mud, not a silky web), which is why I installed those screens. But something tiny enough to squeeze through those motor home screen... I guess it's possible, so I will look around for something.

Re the batteries possibly triggering the CO/LP detector, my setup is as described above, with 2 batteries under the steps in a compartment and the gas detector in the hallway across from fridge. So they are fairly separated by space. Also, the battery compartment has a rubber seal on the stair door to prevent gassing into the living space, and holes in the bottom of the floor so gas escapes to the outside. I hate to toss 7 month old batteries just yet. Is there a way to test for gas that they might let off to help justify that sort of diagnostic?

Thanks for the tips guys. I do appreciate it!

Guys who have done RV plumbing.... Are the plastics compatible with PVC that you get at home stores?
I have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL which is very similar to your unit. My issues have been minor in comparison, with the biggest being a failed external tv, bad shower head, headlight aiming off, and a failed water pump. I have been camping in it nearly every weekend since I bought it in early April just to make sure all the bugs are worked out. I. I have had to fight with the dealer over some things, but they have come through every time. My suggestion is to not try fixing these issues yourself. If you do, and booger it up, the dealer is not going to bail you out. Take it in, or better yet call Coachmen, ask who the nearest dealer is, and ask them to send someone to you. You paid too much for the unit to have to deal with stuff like this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update: I did as many suggested here,and promptly delivered my coach to an authorized dealer for service.. I heard back today that:

1. The reason that the hydraulic jack dumped all of the fluid was that there was a loose connection in one of the lines. They also found loose connections elsewhere in the engine compartment and in other parts of the hydraulic system that they tightened it all up, replaced the fluid and it is now operational. No cost to me for this, as it represents a poor build.

2. A "minor adjustment" was made to the hot water heater and now they say it works fine.. I will keep an eye on that because after I replaced the dead thermal cut off it sometimes worked fine, other times not... No cost to me.

3. They claimed to have stopped the leaky shower drain by tightening a connection. I countered that I was unable to tighten the joint that was leaking, and while I am not Herculean by any stretch of the imagination, I think I could tighten this pipe if it were possible. I suggested that it appears not to leak when there is no weight in the shower, but with a person in there it leaks. They joked about sending in a technician with a bathing suit, so we had a laugh, but hopefully they will try some weight inside before handing it back over to me. No cost to me.

4. They did observe the LP/CO detector alarming, reset it, and then it didn't go off again. Given my complaint and their single observation, they will replace it at no cost initially and send the defective unit to Coachmen. They claim this is standard policy, and if Coachmen tests it and decides that there is nothing wrong, I will have to pay for the new one plus labor. The service guy also said that they don't usually challenge things like this, so I am hopeful that they will accept that this thing is defective, even if it has bouts of good behavior! No cost to me so far.

Now, I need to emphasize that the dealership I am working with is not the one that I purchased from, yet I have been quite happy with their level of service and their attitude. The company I am working with is Demontrond RV located south of Houston, TX. I have been working with Joe and Steve in their RV service department, and both guys really seem to genuinely care about my situation and want to make things right. They answer their phones and are able to provide updates daily and with details. It is also worth noting that I delivered my coach to them Monday night and I have all of this info by Thursday... The place that I purchased from, meanwhile, gave me their earliest available appointment in October! So kudos go to Joe and Steve at Demontrond RV. Hopefully the work will be completed soon and I can deliver further positive updates soon.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
3. LP/CO alarm is acting up. Went off for no reason at 2AM one night and could not be reset without pulling the fuse. Believe me--no gas or fumes. Opened up the whole coach, shut off propane entirely, replaced and pulled fuse several times... No success. I was plugged into shore power with good (new since December) house batteries so unless my on-board battery charger was failing, I don't think it was alarming due to low DC power. So we had to play the game of pulling the fuse out until we needed to pull in the sides, since they share the same fuse. Then... It would work for about long though to pull in one side before beeping again. This continued for several days and 3 diff campsites. Oddly, after returning home today and cleaning out the coach, I put the fuse in to pull in the sides and guess what? No alarm. Just in time for the service guys to think I'm nuts!
The gas detectors for LPG and CO should be different ones. The LPG detector ought to be mounted at the lowest point in the coach and the CO detector at 5', so about where one breezes. One of the reasons that often nuisance alarms occur, is the fact that the quality of these detectors is far from professional. For CO an electro-chemical sensor is the only solution. One can not expect an infrared analytical system; way too expensive, but selective. For LPG detection the catalytic combustion sensor is a good solution and affordable. Nowadays actually all MH manufacturers use semi conductor sensors. These sensors cost almost nothing and the panel gives the illusion it is a professional detector system. Actually it is rubbish! In industry, sensors re to be checked a couple of times each year. In motorhomes nobody really cares! Just talk to a local distributor of MIne Safety Appliances, Pittsburgh, PA.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Update: I did as many suggested here,and promptly delivered my coach to an authorized dealer for service.. I heard back today that:

1. The reason that the hydraulic jack dumped all of the fluid was that there was a loose connection in one of the lines. They also found loose connections elsewhere in the engine compartment and in other parts of the hydraulic system that they tightened it all up, replaced the fluid and it is now operational. No cost to me for this, as it represents a poor build.

2. A "minor adjustment" was made to the hot water heater and now they say it works fine.. I will keep an eye on that because after I replaced the dead thermal cut off it sometimes worked fine, other times not... No cost to me.

3. They claimed to have stopped the leaky shower drain by tightening a connection. I countered that I was unable to tighten the joint that was leaking, and while I am not Herculean by any stretch of the imagination, I think I could tighten this pipe if it were possible. I suggested that it appears not to leak when there is no weight in the shower, but with a person in there it leaks. They joked about sending in a technician with a bathing suit, so we had a laugh, but hopefully they will try some weight inside before handing it back over to me. No cost to me.

4. They did observe the LP/CO detector alarming, reset it, and then it didn't go off again. Given my complaint and their single observation, they will replace it at no cost initially and send the defective unit to Coachmen. They claim this is standard policy, and if Coachmen tests it and decides that there is nothing wrong, I will have to pay for the new one plus labor. The service guy also said that they don't usually challenge things like this, so I am hopeful that they will accept that this thing is defective, even if it has bouts of good behavior! No cost to me so far.

Now, I need to emphasize that the dealership I am working with is not the one that I purchased from, yet I have been quite happy with their level of service and their attitude. The company I am working with is Demontrond RV located south of Houston, TX. I have been working with Joe and Steve in their RV service department, and both guys really seem to genuinely care about my situation and want to make things right. They answer their phones and are able to provide updates daily and with details. It is also worth noting that I delivered my coach to them Monday night and I have all of this info by Thursday... The place that I purchased from, meanwhile, gave me their earliest available appointment in October! So kudos go to Joe and Steve at Demontrond RV. Hopefully the work will be completed soon and I can deliver further positive updates soon.
Good luck and keep us posted on progress.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post

Good luck and keep us posted on progress.
Right... Well, we used the Coachmen a couple of weekend ago, and sure enough every tweak that they did worked. The weekend went off without a hitch!

But, you may also notice that my signature has changed too... We traded it in on a 40' DP. Not related to these issues, but because we really felt like we didn't get as much from this Gas model that we expected. The Mirada is an excellent coach, but for us it wasn't what we ultimately wanted.

Now I'm in the process of trying to figure out what ,y "new bugs" age going to be!! Found a couple already in the new coach!! Guess that's what I get for buying new!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Hope you sent Coachman the bill for having your Toad detailed. Can't imagine getting hydraulic fluid off of your car was easy or cheap. Did it get into your car radiator at all? Best of luck with the new Coach!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cleaning the toad...

i had to wash the jeep twice with dawn dishwashing liquid to get the hydro fluid off. it's a soft top, so i don't know for sure that it's totally gone, but i used a brush up there too.

then i waxed it.

looks good as ever now, though i didn't think to check the radiator! i can say that the undercarriage is really a nice dark black now. looks brand new down there!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
Been on the road since September, full time now with the following issues:
Bedroom mirror frame came loose and fell crashing to the floor
shower head support pulled out of the wall
water pump took a dump, back filled the tank, swelled and broke a frame support.
Steps failed, open , partially open, didn't open, wife fell out bruised and hurt .No calls from Bob on this one
Windows in the front passenger and operator compartments leak like a siv.
wood panel finish trim is dropping down from the cabinets.
Not complaining ,just disappointed But...
The people I have met and the stories I have heard, and the things I have learned are great!!
Most of our troubles are self repaired with the company sending me the parts, this is ok, I learned how to fix them.

Buy smart, not ego and look for quality CONTROL
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Right... Well, we used the Coachmen a couple of weekend ago, and sure enough every tweak that they did worked. The weekend went off without a hitch!

But, you may also notice that my signature has changed too... We traded it in on a 40' DP. Not related to these issues, but because we really felt like we didn't get as much from this Gas model that we expected. The Mirada is an excellent coach, but for us it wasn't what we ultimately wanted.

Now I'm in the process of trying to figure out what ,y "new bugs" age going to be!! Found a couple already in the new coach!! Guess that's what I get for buying new!

Whew, at the end of the day this had to be one expensive set of transactions.

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen