Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is ONE dry chemical extinguisher I might trust to put out a car fire.. It's name is PUFF (After Puff the magic dragon) And it's a Fire Truck.

Think carries a few tons of Baking Soda (Bicarbonate of soda) and what they do when they have a car fire where water is scarce is pull up beside the car, Push the "Extinguish" button (there are two, one for each side of the truck) and dump the entire load.

Think of a steam shovel or a full dump truck of dirt being dropped on a common camp fire... About the same effect.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dr4Film said:
"I will most likely purchase another larger AFFF unit to store in an outside compartment such as my LPG and Fuel tank compartment which is always unlocked and quickly available to anyone. BTW, if you think that I'm worried about someone taking it, I am not. If they want it then someday they will most likely need it more than I will."

I also leave all my compartments unlocked while underway. I've got fire extinguishers in several of them along with tools that may be needed in case of an emergency.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I will most likely purchase another larger AFFF unit to store in an outside compartment such as my LPG and Fuel tank compartment which is always unlocked and quickly available to anyone. BTW, if you think that I'm worried about someone taking it, I am not. If they want it then someday they will most likely need it more than I will.
Food for thought... my thoughts were more along is that really compartments you want to open if there is a fire. Did not see them being taken until I read the line.
Having extra is better than not having.
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #18
I once had a grease fire at my parents' house - the big pot of fried chicken oil lit off while we were inside eating - Dad had forgot to shut the gas off on his outdoor cooker! Ruh-Roh!!
I grabbed two dry chemical extinguishers, which would knock the fire down for a few seconds, then it lit up again, climbing for the rafters of the patio roof!
Thinking 'outside the box' but having done this in the Navy, I used the outdoor sink water sprayer to keep a fine mist on the flaming oil til it cooled enough to not reflash. Yes, water CAN be used on oil fires, very carefully!
Years later in Fire Warden training here at work, I showed the folks how to do the same. Love it when Navy training pays off a couple decades later. :-)
Dodge 2005 Grand Caravan - minicamper at times.
Ford 1988 E150 Action Conversion Van - camper conversion in progress.
Kawasaki 2005 KLR-650 - excursion vehicle.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Powder extinguishers need holding upside down and tapping the side (on the edge of a carpeted step) a couple of times a year to loosen up the powder because the constant vibration can settle it down hard.
Now there is some good info..............

I bought 4 of the "spray can" extinguishers and have them scattered around handy.
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #20
Alpine Owners Club
Glad to hear you are OK and the damage is to bad.

I have also attended Mac the Fire Guy's seminar's. I try to attend at every rally he is present. I would recommend them to any RV'er or boat owner.

I have replaced all of my powder extinguishers with FOAM.

I have 3 inside the coach. One in front, one in the kitchen area and one in the bedroom.

I also have one in the bay and one in the engine compartment.

I also have FOAM extinguisher's in each vehicle's we own.

They are low maintenance I only need to check the gauge and no need to fluff which must be done with the powder extinguisher's.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #21

I say good job!... you did well under the stressful situation. Yo were willing to let the boat go, but not the MH... if you would've went in the boat to get the fire extinguisher (while it was on fire)... who knows what could have transpired. Sometimes you have to be willing to cut your loses. Things can be replaced, not lives.
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carried 2-5lbs and 2 smaller ABC's in the MH and the toad and my 64 and just yesterday while trying to fix the gennie it backfired and started the insulation on fire along with some over spray of carb cleaner under the carb. Yelled to the other half to get a extinguisher out while I tried to smother the fire (no Luck) 1 shot and it put it out. Scared the hell out of me.
Didn't get the gennie to start so I will take to a professional.
Once a year I turn them up side down and tap a few times with a rubber dead blow to loosen up the contains.That once a year was just a month ago. Due Diligence I guess.
Have you heard back from the shop what happened?
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #23
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Have used a fire extinguisher twice in my life..Once to slow down a kitchen fire in a mobile home till the fire dept. arrived and the other a garage fire. Without them, things would have been worse. Didn't know about the tapping...I'm doing it right now...
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #24
Freightliner Owners Club
We are finally set up in our little fishing village on the coast. The brake people had the boat and trailer for another 9 days after it was towed back to their shop. They completely rebuilt all the wheels, brakes, vacuum plates, master cylinder, two new tires....everything. Apparently when they tore all the wheels apart they were all burnt. So, if this one hadn't froze up the others were ready to. But, on their test drives the hubs continued to over heat when brakes were applied. They tried everything including having their franchise brake training instructors try to figure the problem out. EZ Loader would not respond to their requests or mine. Finally we decided to unhook the front brakes and only use the back ones and they reluctantly let us take the boat home. We made the trip across the state without incident other than the DW would radio me and say I smoked the tires a few times when stopping. We stopped 8 times before reaching Seattle to check the heat on the hubs. When we arrived at our destination we were both totally exhausted from the stress of it all. But, after a lot of naps we're getting in the grove and it's time to play and fish. We won't take the boat home until October so we have some time to not think about the long trip home.

02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote