Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #1

First time potential owner

We are considering a 36 ft motorhome. This will be our first coach. Is this too big to start out in? We have never driven a Motorhome
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Wow. So many things flood my head.

Have you considered renting a similar sized unit and getting a feel for it?

As far as the size vis-a-vis campground sites, 36 is about the right size for a couple with a couple of kids or dogs. We went from a 28 to a 35 and even without slide-outs the difference in available space is enormous.

More important than length is the interior layout. A rear bath works for a no kids family, but you need the extra 1/2 bath is there are others in the family. The room for that 1/2 bath comes out of available storage. The usual advise is rather than focus on make, model, power source or color, pick a layout that works and sort out the rest.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
We are considering a 36 ft motorhome. This will be our first coach. Is this too big to start out in? We have never driven a Motorhome

How much will you be using your coach? Full time ? Weekends only ? 2 weeks at a time - couple of times a year?

The longer you expect to live in the coach -from months at a time to full time.... Usually bigger is better. How many slides? This also has a big impact on liveable space...maybe more than length.

Lazy days has a free driving course to help get you up to speed....you can also practice in an empty parking lot......it's not that hard to get the basics down.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I started looking for our first motorhome back in the mid-90's. My wife was scared of the size and we limited our search for small 20-24' class C's. I wanted bigger. Long story short, while my wife was out of town I bought a new 31' Class C at auction in 1997. She was the first one to take it on a trip solo. She shows dogs and the 31' was barely big enough once we loaded every thing in it but it serves us well.

We traded up in 2008, bought a Monaco Windsor 38' PKD (actual length is 39'8"). My wife still shows dogs and has taken it solo without a problem. We both think it drives easier and handles better then the Class C.

If you have doubts on the size you should consider renting one for a short trip, just to test your nerves and/or resolve.

The 36' should be the right size and depending on what brand/model you are looking at should fit your needs.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Focus:

You'll be surprised how quickly you'll get used to 36" length. Our first DP was a nominal 38' Sportscoach. Keep in mind that there are a few precautions - turning, maneuvering around gas pumps, etc.

You may wish to put your salesman on the spot and demand an hour's worth of driving instruction as part of your deal. Also, Lazy Days has an online driver course - available on YouTube, that will help you with much of this.

Good luck with your choice, and happy camping!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I had never driven a motorhome until we bought a 36 footer
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Our first one is a 33 ft.
The ole butt puckered up for a few miles, but soon felt relaxed and enjoy the rides now.
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
When my wife and I go shopping for shoes, she always asks " how do you like these?' I always respond " if they feel good they are perfect. Only you know for sure"

Bob
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We had not owned a MH until we bought our current 37.5 ft. Driving get better each time we take a trip. I look forward to driving, the wife is still getting used to being a passenger. 36 ft. should be ok if you are a good driver, and enjoy driving.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we were picking up our present 41' DSDP they were also delivering a new 41' DSDP to a new, first time owner. They had also set up his full size Cadillac to tow (he was a Caddy dealership owner). First rig, had never driven one before either. Always wondered how he made out!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
My first motor home was a 36' and had no problems. I had driven bobtail trucks 30+ years ago, but this was entirely different. The main things to watch are height clearance, tail swing and learning lane position. Use your mirrors a lot and practice turns, parking and maneuvering in a large parking lot.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #12

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #13

Our first and only is 38 footer. Purchased 13 years ago.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Grimb,
We bought our first motorhome August 2013 and are very happy with our choice. Originally we thought we would start with a smaller and cheaper one since I had no experience driving anything that big. We looked at smaller ones (Cs and As that were 30’ and under. Our friends who had motorhomes for years convinced us that this was a mistake because we wouldn’t be satisfied and would soon be looking to upgrade. (Which would cost a lot more $$$ in the long run) Also I thought that a smaller one would be easier for me to learn to drive and park. My friends argued that whether you are driving a shorter one, or one much longer, you don’t notice the difference in length.
On this thread you are getting good advice e.g.: Look for a layout that will suit YOUR needs and budget first. Learn what you need to know as far as quality in furniture and cabinets. The main thing to look for in a used coach is ‘how was it used, stored and kept’. Mileage isn’t as important as it is on a car. Last year (8 months after I bought mine) my friend sold his 1993, 34’ Newmar Kountry Star. It had always been garaged and was like new. If I hadn’t already bought, I would have bought it and saved $$,$$$. He sold it for $17,000.
I found one that had always been garaged kept since new. It is a 2000 34’ National Seabreeze. The size is perfect for what we use it for and I am very impressed with the quality of the National brand even though they are now out of business. Although I was somewhat intimidated at first, my friends told me that after about 3 trips, I would feel totally at ease driving it. They were spot on and I am glad they convinced me not to start out with one too small like I originally planned.
Hope this helps in your search.
I posted this on another thread and it may help answer your questions.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote