Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
First time winterizing, help

Ok I winterized the MH for the 1st time for me. Here is what I did, please let me know if I missed something or if I did it right.

Ok, I ran all the water through until it was sputtering and almost gone. I then put in 2 1/2 gallons pink RV stuff. I went to the kitchen faucet and ran until pink came thru then to the bathroom sink and did the same then the toilet until pink came through. I dumped a little pink stuff in each drain and poured the remaining 1/2 gallon down the toilet into the black tank. I then ran the outside shower until pink came through it. I emptied the grey water tank to get out that little bit of straight water that came out while running the faucets until pink came through.

Was it a good idea to put a 1/2 gallon down the black tank to keep it liquid in there or should I drain that out?

Should I leave the grey tank empty or should I put a gallon or so of pink stuff in there like I did with the black tank?

I think I covered everything. If not please let me know or let me know if I'm good to go.

The RV is stored inside but not heated garage but I'm sure it won't get too crazy cold in there. Typically 15 to 20 higher than the cold temp outside. In Nebraska so it does get to -10 a few days during the winter so it could get as cold as 10 to 15 inside the building.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving all

tacomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
You didn't say what you did for the water heater.

Just a reminder that it needs your attention.

Loozycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Items not mentioned:

1. Water heater ( in previous post )

2. Inside Shower and drain

3. Ice maker in fridge ( if equipped )

4. Washer/Dryer hoses/drain ( if equipped )

It's good to leave a little pink stuff in both holding tanks to keep the drain slider seal lubricated
lllkrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
I just drained the hot water heater. Assuming the water in the hot water lines drains back out? I was told not to put the pink stuff through the water heater.

We never used the shower so there should be no water in the drain but would there be water in the water line even though we never turned it on?

No ice maker or washer dryer.

Sounds like I'm good to go except maybe for the shower line. Dammit, that means the water heater will fill back up with flippen water and have to drain it again after I've turned on the water pump to pump pink stuff through the shower line if I have to.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There should be water in your shower drain whether you use it or not and that will need anti-freeze added. Also your water heater should have a by-pass on it so you can drain it and pump anti-freeze through the rest of your plumbing without pumping anything through your water heater.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In case you missed it this link should cover it pretty much.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Definitely, be sure to use the by-pass on the hot water heater if you are going to use the pink stuff!!!!! One year I let the service center winterize my RV, I just didn't have time. They missed the bypass. It took me all season to get rid of the last of the pink stuff in the hot water heater.

Myself I prefer to blow the lines out and only use the pink stuff in the drains and holding tanks.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
It's also a good idea to remove the screen in the city water inlet and depress the stem of the check valve plunger while the pump is on to get a little antifreeze to back-flow out the inlet. Cup your other hand over the inlet while you press on the check valve stem so you don't get drenched.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Cup your other hand over the inlet while you press on the check valve stem so you don't get drenched.
That makes it sound like you found that part out the hard way.

Like I usually do........
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Since you opted for the pink and not just air don't forget the black tank rinser if you have one. I have a manual pump in addition to the kit attached to water pump. That way I can thread that on the city (and then rinser) and after a pump or two; both get protected with pink stuff.
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
great tips everyone and thank you. I got it all done and it's parked waiting for spring to get here.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
If you have an outside shower in one of your outside compartments you need to run the pink stuff through that faucet and hose too.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
Pump off when letting a little pink out of city water connection or you will pop your check valve.

Mike , Leslie and Heather and Maggie Canine Traveler
2001 34' Dutchstar, Ford ,Double Slide
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote