Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

First trip issues

Hey guys, so I just completed my first trip in my '97 Winnebago adventurer! It was a great experience! I did have a couple problems tho that I wanted to run by you and see if you have some answers.

First.
I had my RV up on the jacks and the slide out extended before the trip. I retracted the slide out and pulled the jacks and took it to a mechanic to replace 2 tires. I then got to my destination and went to put her up on jacks and do the slide out and neither worked!!! I tried tracking down the issue and from what I can tell the pump isnt getting powered. I did also notice that if I turned on the control panel with the motor running, that very loud and annoying beeping sound was not present.
Is it possible this mechanic screwed things up? they screwed up my spare tire holder putting the spare back in :(

Second:
After my trip, some friends that were with me on the trip were cleaning. They turned on both AC units, a Dyson vacuum, and a shop vac. All 110V shut down. I figured it was the main breaker in the panel under the fridge where all the 110V breakers are, so I flipped it off then back on, and still nothing. Is there a MAIN breaker in the generator area or something?

Thanks!!
ShreddinPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
1. Slides and jacks are controlled via interlocks that prevent you from using them when the coach is on the road. The usual interlocks are transmission in park and emergency brake on (gas coach) and transmission in neutral and emergency brake on (diesel coach). In some coaches, the engine might have to be off as well.

2. Were you running the generator when your "friends" overload the electrical system? If you were, there is a breaker on the generator itself (looks like a toggle switch) that you can reset. Turn it all the way off and then back on. If you were on shore power, check your main breaker on the panel as well as the breaker for the circuit you were plugged into.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Yeah, you probably tripped a breaker on the generator.

During our first trip, we had both AC units going, and then fired up the microwave...tripped the generator breaker. Moving down the freeway, can't hardly step outside to reset it.

What we learned is to turn off one AC when we need to use the microwave.
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are breakers on the generator. On the side at the top right.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
1. Slides and jacks are controlled via interlocks that prevent you from using them when the coach is on the road. The usual interlocks are transmission in park and emergency brake on (gas coach) and transmission in neutral and emergency brake on (diesel coach). In some coaches, the engine might have to be off as well.

2. Were you running the generator when your "friends" overload the electrical system? If you were, there is a breaker on the generator itself (looks like a toggle switch) that you can reset. Turn it all the way off and then back on. If you were on shore power, check your main breaker on the panel as well as the breaker for the circuit you were plugged into.
There are lights on my control panel that let you know if those conditions are not set, brake and in park. I previously did the jacks with the engine on with those other two conditions satisfied and there was a loud annoying beep the whole time, which was absent this time.

Yes the generator was running when my "friends" were running multiple vacuum cleaners.. It would be difficult for me to run them all by myself.....
Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John USA View Post
Yeah, you probably tripped a breaker on the generator.

During our first trip, we had both AC units going, and then fired up the microwave...tripped the generator breaker. Moving down the freeway, can't hardly step outside to reset it.

What we learned is to turn off one AC when we need to use the microwave.
Good to know, I will look in there.

You run the generator while driving? I wasnt sure if this was a thing I should do, so I didnt. But that is ok?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
ShreddinPB--If yours is a Class A, then it is absolutely fine to run your generator while driving. I couldn't survive in our RV if we didn't, as the dash A/C doesn't reach much beyond the driver, and there's 35+ more feet of RV behind me! In fact, we often drive to our destination with a crock-pot cooking dinner in the sink, drinks chilling in the fridge, AC keeping the humans comfy, and the WiFi entertaining the kids and co-pilot. Man.. we ruff it!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
ShreddinPB--If yours is a Class A, then it is absolutely fine to run your generator while driving. I couldn't survive in our RV if we didn't, as the dash A/C doesn't reach much beyond the driver, and there's 35+ more feet of RV behind me! In fact, we often drive to our destination with a crock-pot cooking dinner in the sink, drinks chilling in the fridge, AC keeping the humans comfy, and the WiFi entertaining the kids and co-pilot. Man.. we ruff it!
37.5 foot Class A, and yes, my passengers were very hot!!
good to know for the next trip
Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

On our rig there is a switch on the drivers seat that doesn't allow the slide to move. We had the wire fall off once and the slide wouldn't make any noise. We finally found the wire, plugged in the wire problem solved.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddinPB View Post
Good to know, I will look in there.

You run the generator while driving? I wasnt sure if this was a thing I should do, so I didnt. But that is ok?
Yes! Run that generator while driving. It's hot here in Florida and we like it cool in the coach, so it's always running while we're driving.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB1988 View Post
On our rig there is a switch on the drivers seat that doesn't allow the slide to move. We had the wire fall off once and the slide wouldn't make any noise. We finally found the wire, plugged in the wire problem solved.
It is both the hydraulic jacks and the slide out, I scoured the area and couldnt find any dangling wires
Old 09-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Yes! Run that generator while driving. It's hot here in Florida and we like it cool in the coach, so it's always running while we're driving.
My next set of passengers will thank you
Old 09-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slides and jacks are 12 volt I'll come back to them

120 volt: The generator has one or two circuit breakers ON THE GENERATOR, also if you are plugged in to shore power there is the breaker near the outlet you plugged into.

Also, When changing from Generator to Shore or back, if the Air Conditioners were running (or you have a residential fridge) Hold power off for THREE FULL MINUTES before bringing up the other source (NOTE: Where I am we have had 5 power "Flickers" since I parked,, I have a device (Surge Guard) that does that 3 minute hold off for me when that happens) Any time you swich over or loose 120vac Keep it off for THREE FULL MINUTES.

now. the 12 volt issues.

On the jacks.. It is possible a fuse popped. but more then likely it's a different issue. On my coach I have to put it in PARK and make sure the parking brake is engaged (Some RV's do not have a manual parking brake) There is in indicator light on the panel that tells me I need to set the brake.. I have had one of the two wires on the parking brake light swich come off (The one that turns on the light on the dash, nto the one for the jacks) and I've had the switch stick many may times (Release the brakes and stomp (Set) them again)

Also on MY Rig they want the engine running to jack it up (Read on)

Slides.. There is a key lock on the master control panel. if it is OFF slides do not.

Also they want the engine OFF for slides to work on my rig.

On some rigs this On/OFF may be different (Some want i9t on for both, or off for both)

And again there is ye old fuse and also the 12 volt master disconnect switch (Often inj the entrance way, may be marked USE/Store with a red light near (Should be on) may be on dash (AUX) or on the main control panel (AUX again) If you ahve any of these switches.. Post.

Suggestion. If slides do not. Try a 12 volt light (Ceiling light, light over sink) IF that also does not work.. Problem is NOT with the slide.