Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #1

First trip report

I'm new to RV's. We rushed in buying a used Class C this past summer, used it for a weekend and I quickly learned it wasn't the right fit for our needs. Luckily we were able to recover the costs when we traded it in on our Class A.

Bought the Southwind earlier this month. Spent a week getting it ready for our trip to Florida for the holidays. Even though everything was explained when purchased, I still had to figure out a couple of things but no showstoppers.

The V-10 ran flawlessly. Didn't use any oil and adveraged 8 mpg on the trip down. Part of this was in some heavy crosswinds too. My only issue is it is in need of new shocks. I intended on getting Konis or Blistiens.

Camped and 5 different places during the trip. Easy to setup and also break down. My wife and I share the tasks and this helps a lot.

We love meeting new people. We notice how friendly everyone is. We both camped as children but never like this. We actually joke about this not being " real camping"

Anyways we absolutely love RVing. Not only is it fun to see new places, but it allows us to spend more quality time together as a family. This was a great purchase that we will get a lot of use out of. Next trip is in the spring. Won't be as far but we will take several short trips over the weekends.

Thanks to all who has helped or explained things to me. This forum is a great source of information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Abnmarine:

WELCOME from Tampa. So where'd ya spend time in Florida and where ya from? Wife and I full time and used to live in Duluth, Minnesota, but now migrate around the sunbelt (Florida, Texas, Arizona, wherever) till ol man winter departs up North. Glad to see your Southwind performed well. Again, WELCOME to iRV2.
Steve & Lynette

Old 12-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
What a great report on a FIRST trip. This is what an Rv should do- Be used and ENJOYED.
Safe Journeys...
p.s. ck our website below.
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Actually, what we do is REAL CAMPING, that other stuff with tents, no bathroon or A/C etc. is just dumb!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Actually, what we do is REAL CAMPING, that other stuff with tents, no bathroon or A/C etc. is just dumb!
You're so right Cousin Ed...I used to think camping was checking into a four star hotel with tennis shoes on. Now I know better. Its sleeping in my bed in a nice quite cg with a/c or heat.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
You all got me so excited 'bout Rv'n - I raised the winter cover and turned the furnace on. I'll watch a movie later. 34* outside. Maybe Ice age & the Dinosaurs would be appropriate then some Hot soup and cornbread.(maybe a nap)
Safe journeys
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can't remodel a tent.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Did the tent thing, Truck and camper 1974. 25' M/H in 1079, 36 ' DP in 1995, and my 43' Dutchstar in 2005. I love RV'ing and spend about 5-6 months of the year on the road.
5 children raised camping, they love it even today, all have a love of the outdoors, camp fires, smores and are teaching their kids the same.
We are blessed.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Best of luck with the RV. We had a 03 South Wind a couple of years ago and loved the floor plan, just couldn't stop the RV from Dolpining or rolling. It took it's toll some days driving. After 18 months dealer made offer we just could not say no too, for a DP.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #10

We stayed at the Tropical Palms Resort in Florida. Visited Disney and Sea World. We live Stafford, VA. I picked up some Blisteen shocks and will install the front and rear trackbars in hopes of this improving the ride.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Abnmarine:

WELCOME from Tampa. So where'd ya spend time in Florida and where ya from? Wife and I full time and used to live in Duluth, Minnesota, but now migrate around the sunbelt (Florida, Texas, Arizona, wherever) till ol man winter departs up North. Glad to see your Southwind performed well. Again, WELCOME to iRV2.
Steve & Lynette
Hey, Ya missed the latest 2+' of snow and rain. Roads are icy. Had to pay $100 for a front-end loader to clean our driveway as the snow was like concrete. But our MH was tucked away in it's garage.

We full timed for 1.5 years then moved up here to be near the grand kids. Hope you are enjoying the warmth.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #12

We got lucky regarding the weather. Left the day before it hit. I retire next year from the military and will work another Federal job until I'm 55 (another 13 years) and retire again. My wife is a nurse and we have been talking about getting a new DP and fulltime with her working as a mobile nurse. We love travelling and the idea of this. Our youngest will graduate HS by then.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
that other stuff with tents, no bathroon or A/C etc. is just dumb!
If my memory serves me correctly, that was called THE ARMY!!
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Abnmarine,

Great first trip report. May all your trips be as memorable.

Thanks for your service. ............. AIRBORNE!!!

Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote