Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #15

Not sure about those Extend a Stay adapters. Aren't they just a Tee fitting? If so, you're still using the high pressure source. It's a benefit to getting rid of the Coleman regulator as they don't always regulate properly - ours doesn't. Being able to plug right into a quick disconnect is so much easier physically, especially for the older generation with bad backs, arthritis, etc. (like me)....

The Coleman grille has a regulator built into the fitting that attaches to the BBQ. The thing about the quick connect under an RV is that they are low pressure while the Coleman as it comes from the factory requires high pressure gas.

If you want to use the Coleman stock regulator, then you must connect to the propane tank(s) directly before the regulator at the tank. If you have 2 tanks and one runs dry, then to keep your grill going, you have to manually move the adapter over to the other tank. Or, have two T-adapters in place at the tank. I found it was a bit of a bother to keep going into the tanks to attach the hose every time we got to the cg and set up.

It's safe doing the piping mods I described as long as you use telfon tape (except not on flare fittings) and make the connections snug. You should always do a leak test afterwards. You can use soapy water in a spray bottle. I have something called "big bubble" Gas Leak Detector made by Whitlam. Has an applicator with it and you brush the solution on. If you aren't prepared to perform a leak test afterwards, shouldn't make any gas line/equipment changes.

You should be able to find a source for a regulator on the internet. I just found some. You may not need the exact same Coleman regulator but unless you have it in hand, the spring inside may not be the correct one. If you have a good local BBQ store, they may be able to help. Maybe contacting Coleman directly will work.

srh, you should have the seal on the internal valve facing towards your BBQ and then the spring closest to your tank side. If you look at the end of the fitting on the hose, you should see a tiny tip inside. If you had the spring in place, you'd be able to push it open with a small screwdriver. If you have it turned around, it may be plugging the line closed. The fitting you want has a 3/8" flare at one end and 1/4" pipe thread at the other. Many stores that sell gas fittings should have these including Home Depot.

The only downside of making modifiying your Coleman regulator is that once you have cannibalized it, you'll never be able to connect a remote cylinder directly to the BBQ.

Yesterday, I installed a quick connect fitting at the rear of our unit right where the door to the kitchen area is. The factory original location was not in a great spot. I tested the new fitting and the new adapter and it works great.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post

srh, you should have the seal on the internal valve facing towards your BBQ and then the spring closest to your tank side. If you look at the end of the fitting on the hose, you should see a tiny tip inside. If you had the spring in place, you'd be able to push it open with a small screwdriver. If you have it turned around, it may be plugging the line closed. The fitting you want has a 3/8" flare at one end and 1/4" pipe thread at the other. Many stores that sell gas fittings should have these including Home Depot.
Well, luckily I found the spring. Tried it as I understand it from your description above plus a couple of other combinations and still couldn't get it to work. Menards has the grill - in fact that is where I bought it from. I will go tomorrow and look at theirs and see how it is put together. Hopefully that will help!
Thanks, once again, for your detailed explanation!
Regards,

Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Mystery Solved!

I finally figured out how the "seal" and the spring went together. I was putting them on the end that goes on the BBQ after I went to look at the one at Menards - they actually go at the other end. But even then the grill wouldn't go on. I figured out the male quick connect even though it would go in the female of the self quick connect, is apparently slightly different internally that wouldn't open up. When I was connecting the male quick connect that came with the female as a pair and turn the gas on I could hear the gas flow, but when I put my old one nothing, no gas. It was after I paired the quick connect that came in the same package the gas grill lighted up - works great -THANKS TO GIL, one again!
The moral of the story, in part, is make sure the quick connect male and female are compatible. I wonder if others have experienced this.

Happy camping to all!