Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Fittings to bypass Coleman Road Trip BBQ

I just made a quick connect by tapping into my LP line for the refrigerator. It was easy to do only a couple of feet away from where I want it. I have a Coleman Road Trip and was thinking to take its regulator off and attach a quick connect, only to find out that fittings are really odd - nothing I could find in my local hardware store including Lowes and Menards. Has anyone found the fitting to do this? If I can't get the right fittings I will consider getting something else like a Webber that I could do this. Appreciate any thoughts!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What you are trying to do was precisely why I went the other route - you want to either tap into the high pressure side of the propane line (pre-regulator using an Extend-a-Stay) or carrying a small, 5-10lb propane tank. Trying to retro fit a grill that uses a high pressure input and it's own regulator is hard to do.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

I saw a flat on the brass threaded piece that the Reg is on. I am wondering if the brass is threaded into the stainless. I haven't tried to remove it yet.
Debating that
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFireMedic View Post
I saw a flat on the brass threaded piece that the Reg is on. I am wondering if the brass is threaded into the stainless. I haven't tried to remove it yet.
Debating that
Mine was rigid copper pipe with flared fitting - easy to take out and cut out a section about 4" to fit the "T". I'll call some sources that I got online to see if they will have a fitting for my Roadtrip.
Thanks,
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
What you are trying to do was precisely why I went the other route - you want to either tap into the high pressure side of the propane line (pre-regulator using an Extend-a-Stay) or carrying a small, 5-10lb propane tank. Trying to retro fit a grill that uses a high pressure input and it's own regulator is hard to do.
Yes, I had done exactly just that on my previous coach and the Roadtrip worked just fine. It is hard to find fittings to bypass the regulator.
Thank you for your suggestion though!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

does your tank have an extra vapor outlet?? mine does and that is where i plan to make my connections...it seems thou that i have not seen other tanks with the extra vapor outlet..when i asked the tech at local rv shop he said mostly only the older high end coaches had it...now the extra $15 to install it is droped...jeff
Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Here's a pic of how I did this mod. First you need to unscrew the brass piece off the Coleman regulator assembly. It is flippin' tight, as in EXTREMELY tight. The wrench is an oddball size. Seems it's neither metric or SAE. I took ours to a machine shop and they had to use vise grips on it. At first they thought they could not remove it. They did not charge a dime for this. You may end up scratching your Coleman part a little, but oh well...

Then I went to our local RV parts and repair shop. They had a standard brass LP fitting that threads into the Coleman piece - male flared at one end, female threaded at the other. They had to run a tap through the end of the fitting since the Coleman part has flat threads and the new fitting has tapered "pipe" threads. They only charged me $3 for the part and no labor. Sweet!

Much easier than I imagined it would be. I wish all RV mods were this simple... For anyone doing LP gas mods, don't forget to test for leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (800x550).jpg
Views:	1895
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	37007  
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Genius! Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Here's a pic of how I did this mod. First you need to unscrew the brass piece off the Coleman regulator assembly. It is flippin' tight, as in EXTREMELY tight. The wrench is an oddball size. Seems it's neither metric or SAE. I took ours to a machine shop and they had to use vise grips on it. At first they thought they could not remove it. They did not charge a dime for this. You may end up scratching your Coleman part a little, but oh well...

Then I went to our local RV parts and repair shop. They had a standard brass LP fitting that threads into the Coleman piece - male flared at one end, female threaded at the other. They had to run a tap through the end of the fitting since the Coleman part has flat threads and the new fitting has tapered "pipe" threads. They only charged me $3 for the part and no labor. Sweet!

Much easier than I imagined it would be. I wish all RV mods were this simple... For anyone doing LP gas mods, don't forget to test for leaks.
Gil,
I was just about to give up as I called Coleman and went to several hardware stores. Did attempt to take the brass part off but as you said it was so tight and didn't want to force it.

What is this small little piece at the bottom of the enclosed picture? May be it is part of the regulator and is not needed.

Thanks, again, and I really appreciate it!

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0188.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	37048  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
does your tank have an extra vapor outlet?? mine does and that is where i plan to make my connections...it seems thou that i have not seen other tanks with the extra vapor outlet..when i asked the tech at local rv shop he said mostly only the older high end coaches had it...now the extra $15 to install it is droped...jeff
I'm not connecting directly to the tank. I tapped into the line that feeds the refrigerator. It is only a coupe of feet. If you connect to the tank then I would recommend put a "T" before the regulator in which case you would need the regulator at your grill. This is the way I had it done in my previous coach. I hope this helps!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #10

swrh, that little piece with a seal on it that you mention is a valve of sorts. It probably has a correct technical name... There also needs to be a spring with it. What it does is prevent any gas from escaping out into the regulator, or your modified connector. When you thread the Coleman threaded piece (the sort of "knurled" part) into the BBQ, a little thingy inside the fitting that is part of the BBQ, pushes the valve open and releases gas into the BBQ.

You need to make sure that this seal/valve and spring are re-installed in the correct direction so that it does not act as a one-way way valve and actually stop or constrict the flow of gas.

You must have the special spring that was inside the regulator pipe (at the brass to chromed part juncture). If you've lost it, you'll need to find another Coleman regulator to cannabilize.

If you have a quick connect fitting under your rig, you will have a shutoff valve there. So, you will have not only this manual valve, you will have the above shutoff seal as well.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Gil,

I stopped at a couple of shops and still couldn't find the fitting. Is it 1/4", or did you rethread it as 1/4"?
I have quick connect and also a shut off. Would I still need the small "thing" with a rubber gasket. I looked for the spring and must have los it. If I can get the right fitting I will try it without that and see if it works.

Regards,
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Still not working!

I found the right fittings and connected the grill to he line. There is gas in the line, but the grill wouldn't light up. I don't see any sign of gas coming into the burners. That small little piece must have something to do to let the gas in. Since I can't find the spring I probably would have to order a new one. I will look for the spring more closely, luckily will find it.

Thanks,
Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This all seems like a lot of work and potential hazard when there are off the shelf Extend a Stay adapters which will do the job perfectly well. It also seems to me that the mods described above mean you can no longer use the grill with a disposable cylinder.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
This all seems like a lot of work and potential hazard when there are off the shelf Extend a Stay adapters which will do the job perfectly well. It also seems to me that the mods described above mean you can no longer use the grill with a disposable cylinder.
Bruce: You are probably right, however in my case I would have to run about 20-25' of hose from the driver side to the curbside where I want it. Now that I know, it should have been a simple connection as the brass fitting is a regular 1/4" pipe thread. I looked at Coleman's site and they sell that separately, but when I called the agent couldn't tell me that. Thanks for your thoughts, though!
Regards,