RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Flat tire on my 2006 Journey

While 300 miles into my 600 mile trip I found I had flat tire while stopped for gas. Being I had 22 5 inch tires I had no spare so I called my good sam service and was essentially told I am on my own since they would only normally change out your spare for the flat tire. So I called 3 different mobile services and was told that for after hour emergency services there was a 2 hour $270 minimum. I chose to wait until next business day to get the rate down to $180.00. Repairman found that tire was damaged (broken cords), so I had a like tire put on..and thanks to being an FMCA member I saved $180 on price of new tire

jabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #2

Good sams should have sent someone out with a tire.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabassmaster View Post
Being I had 22 5 inch tires I had no spare so I called my good sam service and was essentially told I am on my own since they would only normally change out your spare for the flat tire.
Like said, if you have the Goodsam Roadside Assistance program (it's an additional cost over the Goodsam membership), the plan states that Goodsam will send out a Tire person to change the tire at no cost (if you have a spare) OR the Tire person will install a new tire and you only pay the cost of the tire and installation.

So Goodsam should reimburse you the coast of the Tire road service (and you only pay the cost of the tire and having it mounted).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

Another good reason to carry a mounted spare
Old 10-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post

Yikes, how much would that puppy weigh? Would you manhandle it, or would you call your roadside service?
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Yikes, how much would that puppy weigh? Would you manhandle it, or would you call your roadside service?
My spare weighs 210 lbs. It's a 295/80R22.5 on a steel wheel.

I man-handled it when I got a flat, but the Roadside Service guy would be a good choice if you cant (or don't want to) change the tire.

You don't have to lift the tire "completely off the ground", you slide it out of the storage compartment (or roll off the tire carrier) then roll it to the side of coach. You can "walk" it into position then lift it with a long pry bar, or use a tire dolly as I do, to lift it onto the wheel studs.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
X2
I carry my mounted spare on a Roadmaster spare tire carrier. Works great.

https://youtu.be/-agJXX8Loz4
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We crammed a mounted 22.5" spare in an outside compartment that has a pass-thru shelf. Only 1/2 of the tire went on the shelf. The other half, hanging over, is held in place with a hefty piece of 1/2 inch rebar that sits on a frame on either side of the compartment. Also wedged a notched piece of 2 x 4 under the rebar for additional support. Works fine.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Actually I would try road service but in the event you had to do it your self no need to lift the tire other than tilt off the ground then just roll it over to the hub jack chassi up or down till lugs line up and walk the tire on, have done forklift tires way bigger than 22.5 rv tire. I built a rack with a small winch the tire goes up aginst the frame I have a snatch block to pull it out from underneath.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:

I have changed farm tractor tires many times. You don't manhandle them, use levers, shovels, and jacks to adjust the tractor height to the tire stud holes. The picture below can be done with any shovel to raise a heavy tire. A shovel is a handy tool to have wired to your RV frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift Tire.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	262605  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When we had a blow out, GS sent a guy with a new tire, new rim and the tools to repair/replace both (for which I prepaid). He put on the new tire, didn't need the rim (for which I got a credit), and all was good.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
the GS folks offered to send someone that would come with a "like" tire but I said I would look locally for a tire service since it appeared that the deflated tire was still good (which turned out not to be so). I then checked the benefits on my FMCA membership and discovered I could save if I used a tire service signed up with FMCA...and getting this service saved me over $180 off the MSRP tire price. Not sure I would have gotten the savings if GS service would have been used.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Rick, thanks for putting this out. I have never seen a large motorhome with this mount, but for sure I will be looking into it. One of the tire services wanted a 3 hour minimum ($150/hr for any emergency repair)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Goodsam roadside assistance plan should be paying for the $150/hour service. You only pay for the tire and cost to mount it. If you carry a spare (mounted) then you pay nothing. The Goodsam coverage pays for everything in that case.

BTW - when I said "I manhandled the tire" That just means I removed it from the storage compartment, removed the old tire, installed the new tire, and put the old tire into the storage compartment. I never lifted the full weight of the tire.
As shown above, a shovel, pry bar, or tire dolly works well to lift the tire onto the studs. I use a wheel dolly. This one (easy to store and doesn't cost much):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
journey