Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Flat Tire Question

It was a beautiful day down in Georgia today!. So I decided to change the air filter, & check other things. As I was checking all of the tires, & found one flat. I have not driven the coach in 3 months, so I do not no how long it has been flat.

At his point, what do I do as far as a safe repair? Should I have the tire people check it out, or replace it just to be safe. I have had a blowout years ago, & the damage can get expensive. It is a 22.5" tire about a 1 1/2 years old.

Please give me some good advice!

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would try and fill the tire. If the tire holds you have a slow leak and could have it fixed. If you can't get it to hold air replace it. Thats what I would do.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you store jacks down, there should be no damage to the tire's mate (I am asusming it was one of the duals)

I second what Mikron said.. Try to re-inflate. and have it checked for leaks.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dirtbuster,
I've had this situation, several times. For me, I refill the tire and check it daily. This will lead you to the next step. The problem could be many different things.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dirtbuster, by all means try to air the tire up. Check the tread for a nail or etc. Use a little of soapy water and try to spray some around outside and inside of the bead of the tire and the valve stem. If you see bubbles, you have a air leak. Call AAA, or a tire road service. A road service can leak test it better. Don't drive with tire down. You could do damage to the tire. I used to repair truck tires on my dad's trucks.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is from personal experience.

First, let me start by saying that all professionals, and the vast majority of RV'ers, state that if you have a flat on a dual and you have driven it with one of the duals flat, you have a very large chance that the other tire is damaged. Think of twice the weight on that side of the RV on that tire that did not go flat.

Like you, I had a flat on an inside dual. I noticed it when getting ready to go on a trip, after driving it from the storage area, about 12 miles away. I called a mobile service, and they found that the valve had leaked. Repaired it and cautiously went on my way. I stopped at a tire place and asked if they would inspect my tire, since I had the flat. They provided a free service, pulled both the duals, and visually inspected them. They said they did not see anything wrong. We finished that short trip and prepared for a longer one. In Washington state it finally happened. I had a blow out on that tire, inside dual. I was very fortunate that there was no visible evidence of damage anywhere. It was a "zippered" blow out. Mobile service came out with a "used" tire to put on to get me to the shop. I wanted TWO new tires, and they had to order them. We proceeded 30 miles to our destination and returned to the shop on the way out of town. They replaced both rear dual, balanced and all that stuff, for a total fee, including service call of $1007.

Personally, I think you now have a tire that is just "waiting" to blow, and the other tire on that same side wants to be it's friend and blow also, but most likely not at the same time.

You are dealing with personal safety of you and your loved ones. You have to ask yourself if you want to take the chance. The possibilities are only a percentage waiting to happen or not happen.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all of the replies!. The flat is on the inside tire, and it has separated from the rim. I can not get it to air up on the MH. The MH has been sitting for 3 months, so I don't think that it has been driven on. I currently have the leveling leg down, to take some weight off of the other tire.

I think that I am going to call a tire repair service, and have them take a look at it. The Freightliner & Cummins shop are only a mile a way. I will also check with them since they are so close.

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Choice Dirtbuster. Did you have your jacks down when you noticed the flat ?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did not have the jacks down, do to were I was parked. I don't like to put excessive load on them, for long periods of time.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post
I did not have the jacks down, do to were I was parked. I don't like to put excessive load on them, for long periods of time.

Thanks
What is the harm in leaving the jacks down? That is what they are designed for. Now you've had the entire weight of the coach sitting on only three of four rear tires for months.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
OFF THE WALL x2!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same problem when I checked my tires before our resent trip. After sitting for several months one tire had dropped about 30 lbs. I aired it up and it was fine for several days but then the outside temp dropped into the 20s one night before we left and when I checked again that tire had dropped about 20 lbs. again. Luckily it was still cold when I checked for a leak this time and it turned out to be the stainless steel valve extension. It was only leaking when it got cold. This is the second time I've had one of these extensions do this.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think your outer tire MAY be good but the fact that the bead has seperated suggests the tire was driven upon.

I have a 12 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack.. Got it at Harbor freight.

FIRST: Chalk the tires on the other side of the MH, both in front and behind so the rig can not roll either forward or backward.. Then:
Put the jack under the spring bracket and lift the axle so the tire comes off the ground.

Now, if you have the needed impact wrench you can pull the tire yourself.. Oh, I have the needed wrench too.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #14

I had the same situation. I tried to air it and it blew. I was very lucky. Neither I nor the MH was hurt. I've since been told never to try and air a totally flat tire. Call a service tech and let them handle it. That's what roadside assist is for.
Good luck,
RJ