Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Flatscreen TV Installation

I am getting ready to install a flatscreen TV in my Winnebago Adventurer 32Ft. It looks like a 32-37" will fit OK without having to rearrange the storage compartments on either side. I have a few questions for those of you who have completed these type changes. If I mount a swingout arm to support the TV how do you attach it and where. How do you keep the TV from rattling/vibrating during travel. If anyone has pics or directions I would appreciate any detailed help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I did my conversion, I made a bracket that hinged at the ceiling and allowed the bottom of the tv to swing out for access to wiring and such. The bottom is secured for travel with a wing nut and hasp arrangement. The bottom of the tv where speakers were, I left open for air flow and sound flow and for access to the wingnut. Behind the tv space, I made a chimney for convection air to keep the set cool and allow the warmer air to vent at the space above the top of the tv. No rattles or movement when driving! Hope this inspires some ideas..

Marty

Old 12-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #3

I mounted ours similar to M&EM using angle aluminum creating a pivot using bolts on the sides of the existing cabinet then adding vertical members at the screw locations on the rear of the TV and extened to the bottom of the cabinet to support the weight. Pivots out to work on wireing and to check all screws and bolts. I have done this for 3 friends, too.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateaddict View Post
I am getting ready to install a flatscreen TV in my Winnebago Adventurer 32Ft. It looks like a 32-37" will fit OK without having to rearrange the storage compartments on either side. I have a few questions for those of you who have completed these type changes. If I mount a swingout arm to support the TV how do you attach it and where. How do you keep the TV from rattling/vibrating during travel. If anyone has pics or directions I would appreciate any detailed help.
Check out these photos http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1021
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I appreciate all the help and for the good ideas. Thanks very much.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You can also do a search for this topic; it has been discussed several different times. I added a 37" to the back of the living room/kitchen between refrigerator on left and the dining table on the right. Gave for a much better viewing.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pictures here: TVProject pictures by ClayL - Photobucket
I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.
The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, receiver amplifier, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post shgowing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.
A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi kstateaddict. We have replaced the front CRT with a 32" LCD. If interested photos of that project & other projects at: http://picasaweb.google.com/sight04 .
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow!!! Lots of good ideas. Thanks very much for all of the information. My brother has a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35' and is anxious to modify as well.

Jerry
Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #10

There is one more thing that you may wish to consider. Flat screen LCD TV's are subject to "motion Blur". If you watch much in the way of sporting events it can be a bother. If you can get a salesperson to discuss with you and show you how some manufacturers are addressing the problem it could be valuable. I didn't consider this when I made the transition and regret that.

Havve a nice day - Darrel
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
There is one more thing that you may wish to consider. Flat screen LCD TV's are subject to "motion Blur". If you watch much in the way of sporting events it can be a bother. If you can get a salesperson to discuss with you and show you how some manufacturers are addressing the problem it could be valuable. I didn't consider this when I made the transition and regret that.

Havve a nice day - Darrel
You want a high frequency response time rate. They now have 120 hertz LCD panels out.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Darrel, I'll keep that in mind. Jerry