Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Fleetwood Expedition 36T Problem

Having another problem with our coach. We are not getting power to our starter, instrument panel, steps..could it be a fuse and if so where would it be located. Batteries are fully charged. Can any one help with this? Thanks in advance for your help.
PeggyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

Have you checked your battery disconnect switch?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

I suspect all the stuff you noted are run off the chassis battery - is it charged. Do other DC items in the coach work? Often chassis batteries don't get charged from shore power unless your system has the appropriate charging system. Many do not.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyAnn View Post
Having another problem with our coach. We are not getting power to our starter, instrument panel, steps..could it be a fuse and if so where would it be located. Batteries are fully charged. Can any one help with this? Thanks in advance for your help.
The batteries are showing as fully charged, just no power to the Front of coach........including what was in my post and also the jacks not mentioned in my post. Does any one do house calls. Grrrrrrr
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #5

Peggyann

I believe the "battery charged" is only indicating house battery status. Jacks are also likely run off the chassis battery. I suspect your chassis battery is discharged or disconnected. Many coaches are not configured to charge the chassis battery when charging house batteries. Mine did not until I changed that.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Community Administrator

This MH would be charging chassis battery on shore power. I suspect the chassis battery ground. Do you have someone who can trace the negative battery cable to see if its loose , disconnected or covered in corrosion ?
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
This MH would be charging chassis battery on shore power. I suspect the chassis battery ground. Do you have someone who can trace the negative battery cable to see if its loose , disconnected or covered in corrosion ?
Cliff
Clifftall

Neither my Monaco Diplomat and my current Libero charge the chassis battery on shore power until I made some changes. The Libero would charge the chassis battery while on Generator.

But your suggestion to check grounds is indeed a good idea, But are you certain Peggyann's coach setup will charge chassis batteries while on shore power? I am not familiar with that coach.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Community Administrator

FW's have been dual charging for a number of years .At least 2005. I believe.
Cliff

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
FW's have been dual charging for a number of years .At least 2005. I believe.
Cliff
Correction. This is a 2001. I looked at some of her previous posts. However , I still believe the chassis battery will charge on shore power .
Cliff

Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Would the starter solenoid cause this problem by sticking. We have tapped it several times with no luck. Again the batteries are showing fully charged.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:

Correction. This is a 2001. I looked at some of her previous posts. However , I still believe the chassis battery will charge on shore power .
Cliff
Thanks for the update, you have knowlege on that particular coach that I do not have, but we have both zeroed in on the chassis battery as the cause. Discharged or disconnected (meaning via a bad connection or a switch) are the most likely areas to look at.

I suspect that coach does not have an emergency start button because that would be the first thing to try.

Good luck Peggyann - please keep us posted on your findings. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage across your chassis battery.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Community Administrator

I just called FW to verify. Since around 1996 they started connecting the two batteries ( coach and chassis ) via the auxiliary start solenoid in the battery control center ( BCC ). Since the op's battery is charged , as I stated above , I would check the ground connection.
Cliff

Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Problem not solved, I guess tomorrow is another day. Like my DH said, glad this happened in our driveway and not on our first night out in a Wal Mart parking lot..Will keep you posted.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #14

Quote:

Problem not solved, I guess tomorrow is another day. Like my DH said, glad this happened in our driveway and not on our first night out in a Wal Mart parking lot..Will keep you posted.
Once again thank you for all you help. Turned out TO BE the chassis battery just as suggested, we are now up and running. Love this forum!!!!!