Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #1

Hello. My wife is dead set on the new Fleetwood 36D but I have been told to stick with either Tiffin or Winnebago for overall quality, fit and finish. Both Tiffin and Winnebago have the one piece fiberglass roof - is the roof a big enough reason to steer clear of the Fleetwood?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #2

Hello. My wife is dead set on the new Fleetwood 36D but I have been told to stick with either Tiffin or Winnebago for overall quality, fit and finish. Both Tiffin and Winnebago have the one piece fiberglass roof - is the roof a big enough reason to steer clear of the Fleetwood?

Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My personal preference is for the Winnebago or the Tiffin. Fleetwood builds a lot of different RV's and in all price ranges.

We had an 89 Pace Arrow that was about as big of a piece of JUNK as you could find anywhere. The Winnebago was suburb. We did have a 1995 Avion which was owned by Fleetwood and it was a well built 5er.

I prefer the fiberglass roof over the rubber or plastic roof for durability. It is not as much trouble to keep clean and do not have to worry about the low hanging tree limb as much.

And a big howdy and glad to have you here on iRV2.com

Ken
Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #4

I have a friend that had to return his Fleetwood diesel pusher to the factory because the drive train had been engineered wrong. Now this is serious poor quality.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fleetwood makes many different brands of MH's, so saying you are looking at a FW 36D doesn't provide much info to work with.

I have a 2004 FW Southwind with a TPO roof that's been trouble free for the three years I've owned it.

BTW, blaming FW for drive train engineering problems is like blaming your cow because your milk went sour, IMHO. The drive train is engineered, provided, and warranted, by a chassis vendor. The house builder has little to do with it other than choosing it, unless of course, he had extended the wheelbase or made some other modification to it.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
wilanddij... I too have a Fleetwood with the TPO roof. My only complaint is keeping it clean. The rough (or maybe pitted design is a better choice of words) roof sure can get dirty with things that make it very difficult to clean. I've had some sticky tree seeds that fell on it last spring and boy what a mess. I got the seeds off but they left a residue which got down into the "pitts" and I can't get them off.

Bill Davis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> return his Fleetwood diesel pusher to the factory because the drive train had been engineered wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also agree with you on who to blame and not blame. As far as Fleetwood having problems, just come up with any manufacturer then do a search on this and other web forums and you will find problems with each and every manufacturer.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #7

Yes they all have their problems without fail. I had a FW Bounder that was and still is the best motor home I have ever owned. 50K trouble free miles on a GM chassis. Don't know how long she ran for the next owner. I have an Itasca now and love it. I changed to Winnebago because of the steel cage in the cabin area and the basement a/c. I am on a Ford chassis now and it has been flawless.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wilanddij:
BTW, blaming FW for drive train engineering problems is like blaming your cow because your milk went sour, IMHO. The drive train is engineered, provided, and warranted, by a chassis vendor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I couldn't agree more!

davidkel,

I recently sold my Winnebago Adventurer with a one piece fiberglass roof, and purchased a Fleetwood Providence with the multi layer roof. They both have their pros and cons.

The fiberglass roof was easier to clean, but forget about trying to keep any type of gloss on it. Mine seemed to oxidize almost overnight. It is also very noisy in the rain.

The roof that Fleetwood uses stains easily, but requires no maintenance other than soap and water. It is much quieter in the rain.

Which one will last longer? Only time will tell. If you cover you RV like I do when it's not in use, then it should last a long long time, regardless of what type of roof it has.

FWIW: My Winnebago seemed to have a better fit and finish then a comparable Fleetwood Pace Arrow at the time (1998). Winnebago however treated us terribly when several manufacturing flaws were discovered. Fleetwood in contrast has bent over backwards to ensure that we are satisfied. That is why they continue to receive my business.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 AM   #9

I got a Winne and I am really happy with it. I will never buy a fleetwood.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Internation500HP:
I got a Winne and I am really happy with it. I will never buy a fleetwood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I pulled my remarks from this post after I posted them as I felt I was being a little harsh. I see that Internation500Hp is a new member, so instead I want to welcome him/her to this forum.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Craig,
I agree with you on the no bashing point. Being new to iRV2, Internation500HP may have come from one of the "other" RV forums. He may not understand iRV2 is different than the "other" forums. Your post is a good education for him/her. Maybe a moderator can provide guidance to Internation500HP on how to be a possitive contributor to iRV2.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #12

From a personal experience point of view, I went from a Tiffin Allegro Bay to the Fleetwood Expedition. As in all of these commentaries, it comes down to the final consumer voting with their dollars. Fleetwood was building a DP with three slides that met my needs and (perception) of good fit and finish for the money. Tiffin has priced themselves upward and upward to a point in which I considered alternative choices. Surprisingly, I found the Fleetwood MH to be a good alternative. Yes, the Tiffin had the fiberglass roof, and the Fleetwood the TPO, so far I would agree that the rain on the Fleetwood is much quieter, As the unit is parked in my driveway and I can see the roof when not on the road (second story window), it would appear that the TPO stays about the same degree of clean as the Fiberglass did. Not doubt that the fiberglass will ward off a sharp object better than a TPO (in my mind). All of these MH choices are a series of what you want for features, how it handles, style and the perceived quality and
of course accommodating what two folks in a marriage can live with.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #13

Seems no matter what forum your on Fleetwood gets bashed when it's no worse than the other mfg.