Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #1

Has anybody had a problem with thier toilet clogging on a new terra class a motorhome. I can remember reading somewhere that this is a problem with the way the plumbing enters the tank.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #2

Has anybody had a problem with thier toilet clogging on a new terra class a motorhome. I can remember reading somewhere that this is a problem with the way the plumbing enters the tank.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Welcome to iRV2, Rich!! I am not familiar with your particular unit, but I am sure someone here will be along to answer your question. In the meantime, maybe you could give us a alittle more information. What type of toilet do you have and where is it clogging? What type of paper do you use? Do you have quite abit of water in the toilet before you flush the paper?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #4

The toilet brand is a Thetford, it is clogging just at the base of the toilet where there is a bend into the holding tank. We use the approved RV toilet paper, and use as much water as we can when flushing. What I read was it was a problem with the odd bend of the plumbing from the toilet to the tank. And it was a design problem with Fleetwood, I contacted them and they where not aware of such a problem.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 PM   #5

We have that problem, and thought it was resolved with using a lot of water. But this past weekend proved me wrong. I was told by another guy on a different board, that there is a solution. If you get the dealer to shorten the pipe. I am trying to get additional info from him, so I can talk to the dealer. When I find out, will let you know.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #6

Sounds great, that is the info I was looking for.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am new to this forum. I have similar problem in my Southwind 36E (04). The toilet is Thetford chna located midway on Curb side. It is an ocasional problem. We do everything suggested by manufacturer and by long time rv'ers. I bought a flexible tank wand at CW as a prod.

Don't need the wand since I have built in black water tank flush, but the wand surely helps clear the obstruction when it happens. I think the design may prevent any useful repair so I expect to keep the wand handy for the life of the coach.

XCtraveler -crossing the country coast to coast each year
Old 04-29-2005, 07:39 PM   #8

I was just curious if you have heard anything more about the toilet clogging with the Fleetwood Terra.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve&Dora:
We have that problem, and thought it was resolved with using a lot of water. But this past weekend proved me wrong. I was told by another guy on a different board, that there is a solution. If you get the dealer to shorten the pipe. I am trying to get additional info from him, so I can talk to the dealer. When I find out, will let you know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #9

Not with mine, I did find out that the plumbing is different on mine then the shorter one. How long is your coach? Mine is a 32 foot. I looked at the 26 foot, and it is almost a straight drop down. If you have the shorter one, then the answer is to get the down pipe shortened, so it doesnt go as deep into the holding tank.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #10

Mine is a 2004 32' model. I was told there was a odd bend into the holding tank which would cause it to clog.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve&Dora:
Not with mine, I did find out that the plumbing is different on mine then the shorter one. How long is your coach? Mine is a 32 foot. I looked at the 26 foot, and it is almost a straight drop down. If you have the shorter one, then the answer is to get the down pipe shortened, so it doesnt go as deep into the holding tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rich...I have a 2004 Terra and can tell you exactly what is wrong with your clogging toilet and how to fix it.....Fleetwood used an odd tank on the 32S that has a shelf near the top where the waste falls and then has to slide down into the tank. The shelf is dry and only about 3" below the pipe. This is a terible design and the waste doesn't drop directly into chemical. Without being too graffic, if the waste is larger than four or five inches, it gets stuck on the shelf. I wrote Fleetwood and they denied having any problem. Their solution was to use more water......that didn't work. I know all of this because I ran fiber optic down the toilet and saw the problem.

If you're willing to do alittle work, I think I found the fix.

1. Unbolt the toilet, two bolts, one on each side, and remove.
2. Remove six screws from large plastic base plate and slowly wobble and lift it out. It is connected to the pipe, which is "S" shaped, and slides into the tank through a rubber grommet.
3. I went to the locat hardware store and purchased a flange that would typically bolt to the floor for toilet mounting. This flange has a 4" opening the bells down to a 3" opening, the same size as the pipe you removed (3").
4. Here is the tough part...you have to work through the hole in the raised platform to cut the subfloor of the motorhome. Directly below the subfloor is the top of the tank. If you use a "Roto Zip" tool, you can cut the sufloor to about a 6" opening.
5. Now, take the floor out of the sink cabinet, (4) screws and lift it up. This will allow you to put the new flange in via this opening and slide it over on top of the tank.
6. Once you have the subfloor enlarged, set the flange down and use a marker to draw around the inside of the flange. This will show you where to cut the plastic tank opening to enlarge it from 3" to 4".
7. Now you can screw the flange down to the tank, using alot of silicone under it.
8. Now take the black pipe and flange that you removed from the floor and cut off the piece of 3" pipe that extended into the tank, just below the 45* elbow. You will find that the outside dimensions of the elbow fit snugly into the flange you just installed. Apply a liberal amount of silicone and re-install the pipe. The holes that were originally used to screw the black flange to the platform may not align, so just make new ones.

This effectively increases your opening from three to four inches and give you more distance above that shelf.

This sounds like alot of work, but I did the research for you. It should only take about an hour or so. I live in California too....so if it sounds like a job you want to takle, let me know and we can make contact by telephone.

I like the equipment that came on this motorhome, but there has been a ton of little things that needed repairing. I've been working on the brakes trying to improve them....had to bleed them and lube the front calibers...they stopped much better now. Let me know if you need help.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #12

Don
Thanks for this info. I will be trying the fix it does look like a lot, and the DW will probably have a heart attack, but I know that if it solves the problem will be worth the effort. At the least I get to buy a new tool (the roto zip!). Will be a couple weeks as it is going back to the dealer to repaint the slide where it rubbed.
What part of California are you located? I am in Orange County
Steve
Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #13

To whom...

In 15 months of ownership this has happened to us only once. I solved the problem by going to Home Depot and buying the smaller (in diameter) plumbers helper (plunger) - worked like a charm. The very presence of the helper standing in the corner prevents the john from becomming slogged...

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #14

Well, you are luckier then I have been. I have had several trips and so far only twice has it not clogged, one trip the clog cleared itself on the drive home. I do generally have a full house going, 5 or more people with several females included.