Originally Posted by deandec
Have you folks recovered other pieces of furniture yourselves, or was this the first time?
The ultra leather would seem to be easy to handle, but what level of sewing machine and what kind of machine foot did you use?
It would seem that one would be replicating a seat cover using the old fabric as the pattern.
We (mostly my wife - I do the grunt work) had done a couple of armchairs years before.
We did use the removed fabric as a pattern. We bought hog ring pliers (my old ones were in storage in NH) and a couple of hundred hog rings. Also bought a new good quality hand stapler and couple of boxes of the longest staples I could find ( 1/4 crown and 5/8 long as I recall). Got a staple puller at Ace hardware.
The inexpensive sewing machine we had with us just couldn't handle the job so we drove 80 miles to Lake Havasu to buy a new one. We couldn't find one heavy enough to do the job there. We were told that even the real expensive ones like the Bernina wouldn't hack it and that we needed something like a commercial machine.
We went back to our motor home planning to go to Yuma the next day and see what we could find there.
On the way home my wife said she wished she had her Remington machine she bought in 1963 because it would do the job. Unfortunately it was in storage a couple of thousand miles away.
But then I remembered that I had seen a couple of old sewing machines in a junk store a few blocks from our RV park. Went there and got a White made in 1934. All metal parts - steel for the most part - with manual and accessories.
Cost was $25. It worked great.
She says she used a standard split foot for most of it and a cording foot for the cording. A zipper foot should work for that. We got 1/8 inch nylon rope/cord for the cording rather than the twisted paper they used.
We also ordered some good quality higher density foam for the dinette cushions via the internet and used it instead of the lighter density in the cushions.
Regarding the cost of a machine that will do the job if you can't find an old one - we figured that we saved at least $2000 (maybe more) by doing the job ourselves so even buying a good machine made sense to us. We could have sold it after we were through with it or kept it for future projects.