Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
flex steel 507 seats

So anyone know of a place to get quality LEATHER replacement covers for the flexsteel 597 BUSR and the 597 XLER
searches are only bringing up fake leather seating parts
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may be better off to check with a reputable upholsterer.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing that's something you'll have to have custom made.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #4

I chose to cover mine with sheepskin if you would like a reference i will happily pass to you.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
We really like the patented Ultra Leather seat coverings (Not the imitations!).

After 20 years and 97,000 miles we are at the re-upholstering stage for the pilot seat.

Never too hot to sit on, takes pet abuse, easy to clean, no cracking like leather.

Have leather in S&B and autos.

We had the fabric sleeper/sofa in the MH recovered with Ultra Leather about 6 years ago. Very pleased with the result.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flex Steel makes seats with leather seating parts and the rest of vinyl. Brad and Hall in Elkhart IN sells them. You can Google for the web site.

Oddly enough when we stopped by the Brad and Hall store a few years ago the leather covered ones were cheaper than the Ultra Leather covered ones. He said the leather used now comes from China and is cheaper.

We bought Ultra Leather Plus and recovered all of our furniture ourselves (dinette seats and back, couch and captain chairs). The cost was less than one new captains chair.

As mentioned above there are some low quality knock offs and you need to make sure you get the real Ultra Leather.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
We bought Ultra Leather Plus and recovered all of our furniture ourselves (dinette seats and back, couch and captain chairs). The cost was less than one new captains chair.

Have you folks recovered other pieces of furniture yourselves, or was this the first time?

The ultra leather would seem to be easy to handle, but what level of sewing machine and what kind of machine foot did you use?

It would seem that one would be replicating a seat cover using the old fabric as the pattern.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #8

Flex steel

I would offer a suggestion for this problem. Look under your FlexSteel couches. You should find a "build sheet". Use Google to get the FlexSteel contact number and call them. I am confident that you will get a warm welcome with a good offer of service.
We did this to recover our captain chairs, and couches in our coach. Good deal of work, but great result and saving of funds.
Regards,
jimb
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

BRADD AND HALL INC.574-522-7435

I talked to /Stephanie ... very helpful ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Have you folks recovered other pieces of furniture yourselves, or was this the first time?

The ultra leather would seem to be easy to handle, but what level of sewing machine and what kind of machine foot did you use?

It would seem that one would be replicating a seat cover using the old fabric as the pattern.
We (mostly my wife - I do the grunt work) had done a couple of armchairs years before.
We did use the removed fabric as a pattern. We bought hog ring pliers (my old ones were in storage in NH) and a couple of hundred hog rings. Also bought a new good quality hand stapler and couple of boxes of the longest staples I could find ( 1/4 crown and 5/8 long as I recall). Got a staple puller at Ace hardware.

The inexpensive sewing machine we had with us just couldn't handle the job so we drove 80 miles to Lake Havasu to buy a new one. We couldn't find one heavy enough to do the job there. We were told that even the real expensive ones like the Bernina wouldn't hack it and that we needed something like a commercial machine.

We went back to our motor home planning to go to Yuma the next day and see what we could find there.

On the way home my wife said she wished she had her Remington machine she bought in 1963 because it would do the job. Unfortunately it was in storage a couple of thousand miles away.

But then I remembered that I had seen a couple of old sewing machines in a junk store a few blocks from our RV park. Went there and got a White made in 1934. All metal parts - steel for the most part - with manual and accessories.
Cost was $25. It worked great.

She says she used a standard split foot for most of it and a cording foot for the cording. A zipper foot should work for that. We got 1/8 inch nylon rope/cord for the cording rather than the twisted paper they used.
We also ordered some good quality higher density foam for the dinette cushions via the internet and used it instead of the lighter density in the cushions.

Regarding the cost of a machine that will do the job if you can't find an old one - we figured that we saved at least $2000 (maybe more) by doing the job ourselves so even buying a good machine made sense to us. We could have sold it after we were through with it or kept it for future projects.