Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #1

OK, here is what we want to do; replace our sofa with recliners. Our issue is space and the slide platform allows for 33" wall to inside floor edge of slide. We need to know if the flexi furniture or, other make of 'Wall away model' recliners will fit (2 free standing recliners, no ottomans within/on the base slide base?) My question is are the flexi recliners the type you can place against the wall and it will glide away with 2-4" wall clearaance? Simple question. If not, what would someone recommend without having to buy a chair with an ottoman. (: The space we have for 2 small recliners is a slide base of 36" deep by 74" wide. This will make the coach so much more comfortable (:

Bottom line are the Flexsteel recliners wall away type?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #2

OK, here is what we want to do; replace our sofa with recliners. Our issue is space and the slide platform allows for 33" wall to inside floor edge of slide. We need to know if the flexi furniture or, other make of 'Wall away model' recliners will fit (2 free standing recliners, no ottomans within/on the base slide base?) My question is are the flexi recliners the type you can place against the wall and it will glide away with 2-4" wall clearaance? Simple question. If not, what would someone recommend without having to buy a chair with an ottoman. (: The space we have for 2 small recliners is a slide base of 36" deep by 74" wide. This will make the coach so much more comfortable (:

Bottom line are the Flexsteel recliners wall away type?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
paz

There are numerous models of Flexsteel recliners and dimensions may vary. Check out their web site for models and dimensions HERE.

We just sold our Flexsteel recliner and replaced with a Euro recliner. The Flexsteel was indeed what they call a "wall hugger" that doesn't need to move out from the wall, at not least to raise the foot rest. The chair was about 34" deep and required about a 2-3" clearance to partially recline the back with the foot rest raised. An additional 4" or so was required to fully recline the back. The front edge of the circular base, which sat back a little from the front edge of the chair, sat about 35" from the wall, but probably could have been a little closer. We usually turned the chair a little to the side to fully recline anyway.

I have also heard about many people who went to Lazy Boy for recliners. We couldn't find a Lazy Boy store near where we are. Also, from their web site Lazy Boy didn't seem to have many Euro recliners (which is what we wanted) so we went with a Euro recliner from Ekornes. They are fairly expensive, but really much more comfortable than anything else we tried.

Another advantage to the Euro chair is that is is much lighter weight than the Flexsteel recliner we got rid of. I weighed the recliner and it was 112 lbs. I haven't weighed the Ekornes Euro chair yet (the opening in the circular base is too large to sit on our scale), but I know the chair and ottoman together can't weigh more than 50 lbs. The down side to a Euro chair is that I haven't seen any that was a wall hugger.

When selecting a chair, be careful that the base doesn't sit right on the edge of the slide. Our slide has a stiff plastic edge under the carpet that allows the slide to move easily over the carpet below. I wouldn't want to break down that plastic edge or the carpet on the slide might roll under when the slide comes in. Fortunately, we didn't want to locate our chair on the slide so we didn't have to worry about that.

Good luck in your search.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Very good info.
I would only add for you to actually sit in any recliner before you purchase it. I have a Flexsteel leather swivel rocker recliner that is a beautiful chair but at 5'10" I can't touch the floor. When sitting normally my feet are about 2" off the floor and that is very uncomfortable!

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I strongly agree with Harm. Sit at least 10-20 min. before buying. That way you will be sure it fits your body and you will be confortable. We didn't several years ago and ended up spending money for a confortable one, the second time.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't have to limit your search to manufacturers of RV furniture. Flexsteel is a good line but many RV furniture companies are simply furniture makers that have targeted the RV sector. We have some friends that took out their sofa and installed two low-clearance lazy-boy recliners. They secured them to the floor with corner braces. They're incredibly comfortable and look great. Best of luck in your search.

Jack