Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi. I just recieved my Floject portable waste pump and want to install it, but am a little unsure of where to pull the power from.

It recommends a 12V 20 amp fuse on a 12 AWG wire. I thought I would grab some power from the water pump wiring if not the storage lights, but neither of them are 20 amp fuses. Is it okay to replace the 15 amp water pump fuse with a 20 amp fuse and run a wire from there? It is possible that the water pump and the Flojet could be running at the same time. Would that overload the circuit and cause a problem if they are both sharing it?

Alternatively, would it be better to run a separate line from an open slot in the fuse panel for the Flojet?

'04 HR Admiral SE 30' PDD P32 WCC
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi. I just recieved my Floject portable waste pump and want to install it, but am a little unsure of where to pull the power from.

It recommends a 12V 20 amp fuse on a 12 AWG wire. I thought I would grab some power from the water pump wiring if not the storage lights, but neither of them are 20 amp fuses. Is it okay to replace the 15 amp water pump fuse with a 20 amp fuse and run a wire from there? It is possible that the water pump and the Flojet could be running at the same time. Would that overload the circuit and cause a problem if they are both sharing it?

Alternatively, would it be better to run a separate line from an open slot in the fuse panel for the Flojet?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Changing the fuse to a 20A doesn't change the capacity of the wiring - you run the risk of melting insulation or even burning out a wire with the Flojet. It can pull a lot of current under load (I've seen them pop 20A fuses regularly when pumping long distances or through narrow hoses) and often runs for fairly long periods too. I'd recommend a new circuit for the Flojet macerator pump and definitely at least 12 gauge wire (more if the distance is long). You could run it direct from the battery with its own fuse if that is more convenient than tapping the existing fuse panel.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep mine portable and have used it numerous times although not regularly. Made my own extension line out of 10 GA marine grade wire and 20 amp fuse. Alligator clips allow me to get power from chassi, house or toad battery. Never got around to puting a 20 amp take off in the sewer compartment. Be sure receptical is rated at 20 amps,many autostore/Radio Shack aftermarkets are not. When I get around to it I will go for a direct run (fused)to the battery. Good Luck
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
GW, Gary is right on all accounts. Fuses are rated for wiring protection, not for the load. Many people buy the portable macerators because they believe they don't involve installation work. This is probably true only for the plumbing portion. Not many RV's have an electrical circuit nearby that can be hi-jacked to run the sizeable electrical load of the pump. Many times it requires running new wiring. Since I'm not much of a plumber, but a darn good electrician, I'd rather run wiring than plumbing.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great insight Gary, Rocky and Darryl.

Thanks very much. I knew I was getting in a little deeper after checking out the power requirements. I like the alligator clip idea and will run with that this weekend.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GLWilliams58:
Great insight Gary, Rocky and Darryl.

Thanks very much. I knew I was getting in a little deeper after checking out the power requirements. I like the alligator clip idea and will run with that this weekend.

Thanks for the quick responses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your generator is near the waste compartment the 12 volt starter cable may be more substantial than 12 gauge and a convienient source of power for use with jumpers or a more permanent hookup.