Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #1

Have a older MH. The plywood deck is in good shape. I was thinking of using a laminate wood floor instead of carpet. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #2

Have a older MH. The plywood deck is in good shape. I was thinking of using a laminate wood floor instead of carpet. Any suggestions?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #3

I put a small area of self-stick laminate (not sure it was 100% wood, but looked and cut a lot like wood) down in an old slide-in camper a dozen or so years ago. I no longer own the camper. I know it now goes hunting a lot and the last time I saw it was last Fall, the stuff was still there and looked good as new.

Always try to be the person your dog thinks you are!

Saturn Vue pushing a Bounder 35E
Old 03-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #4

Boatman,

We purchased a new MH in 1998 that had carpet in the kitchen. The DW said no way, so I pulled the carpet and replace with laminate before we ever took it camping. I do not know about the sticky kind. I like the floating kind where you let it float like on your home floor especially if you have a slide. You hold it in place with quarter round or similare molding. I never had any problems. Make sure you get the thicker laminate, not the $1.00 a foot stuff. The thin stuff is also more diffacult to put down.

Always start the edge facing a door or entrance. Also do not attempt installing unless you buy the kit at Lowes or Home Depot ($20) that has the hammer block and the "z" bar. If you are installing away from the door, have the laminate facing front to back. If you do not have a slide there should be no problems with putting it in your MH for sure. s/Toby
Old 03-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
We just completed ours. Mine is a Damon Daybreak, and has no slide. We laminated from just behind the driver/passenger floor area to the back of the unit. It was time consuming and tedious, and a lot of special cuts. I used a skil-saw , coping saw and miter saw to do the cuts. You will want to make sure you get out all of the old staples from where you cut the carpet and smooth out the holes. We removed the couch, chair, toilet and put vinyl in the bathroom. Used un-finished trim that my wife first stained and varnished to trim it out with. The step area verticals are carpet, the steps are also laminate. I think you will need the 1/4 in gap for the length, but the width can be as low as 1/8.(My ruler isn't any closer than that!!). It came out well, and we also redone all of the curtains, shears, etc. It looks brand new. Still waiting on my new bravura toilet, as I throwed the old Aqua-Magic IV away.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the boatman:
Have a older MH. The plywood deck is in good shape. I was thinking of using a laminate wood floor instead of carpet. Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't go with the cheap stuff, the edges seem to chip very easily and stay away from the dark colours as they seem to show the scratches much more quickly than the light. But do watch out as some of the light colours are on a very dark substrate and they will start looking dingy if they get a bit scuffed up and the dark substrate shows through the scratches.

Keep it clean and practice good housekeeping and it should last for a while. It depends a lot on you and the grade that you put down.

I have helped install some that started to get damaged before we were done installing it. It was purchased and one of those laminate flooring super bargain centers and it was about the cheapest one in the store, one of the darkest colours too. The substrait was so poor that some of the edges were splitting the first time it was walked on.

Make sure what you are looking at is very scratch resistant and try a few sample pieces of different brands and grades. Put them on the floor and step on them with dirty shoes on etc before making your final decision.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #7

Boatman

I forgot to tell you. The first two rows are the hardest. So practice of a flat surfact outside of the MH first. The 2nd board on the 2nd row is the hardest. after that it get easier. Make sure you get the bang board otherwise, you will chip your boards. You will need someone to stand on the first boards when you get started otherwise you will knock them apart. Also, keep the seams from each row at least 2 to 3 inches apart. Good luck with your project s/Toby
Old 03-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
On mine, I took a look at the bang board(plastic) and decided not to use it. Instead, I cut two pieces from the first piece and made a bang-board with the correct edge for both ends needed. this and a rubber hammer worked well. I did get the special metal bar as it is needed to help tap the ends in place. I put the padding down first, the stuff I used was about 5/16 in material, with a plastic backing. It is very hard material and gives the board a lot of strength. It looks great !!

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I just torn the carpet out of mine yesterday. I have purchase allure vinyl floor planks from Home Depot to replace. Once I get all the staples out, and install. I'll let you know how it worked.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Okrver:
I just torn the carpet out of mine yesterday. I have purchase allure vinyl floor planks from Home Depot to replace. Once I get all the staples out, and install. I'll let you know how it worked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2001 Adventurer has a vinyl plank floor and it is starting to show it's age and will need replacing shortly. I am the second owner and the previous one was a bit hard on the floors etc so I would believe that with proper care you may be able to get 10 or so years from this type of flooring.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #11

I just did my Whole RV with a 6"x36" vynil plank with lapped edges that glue together making it a floating floor system. I think I paid $1.69/sf at Home Depot. Getting the old carpet out was the biggest task I have done in a while. Must have been 10,000 staples. Had to feather the edges of the kitchen/bath/hall vynal with a conctete base compound and just laid over top of it. I made two mistakes, one, puting it in a few staples in it to start. I started in the middle and needed to hold it in place. (I get wrinkles when it get hot.) Two, I put it in too tight, i think. I can feel and see the edges. I think it would have been better to place them together a little more gently. Anyway, it has a textured dark cherry finish and the little lady loves it. We had talked to installer in a lot of places and no one would touch it because we have slides. They said the slide would mess every thing up. As I have seen many time before, every one was wrong. This is tough stuff and because it is 1/8" thick and the carpet and pad was about 3/4 inch, there is plenty of room for a thin area rug and the slide comes in over that without a problem. I did every thing but the dog house.

I just noticed that this thread is a couple of years old. I have been looking for this solutions for three years!

'01 Nat'l RV, Tropical 33' Ford V10
H. Dossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:06 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Laminate does not like water-- in fact, it hates it. It will swell and warp almost immediately. Watch for any leaks -roof, windows, walls and ice maker. I had the water fill line for the ice maker fail and it ruined about two sections near the fridge. Of course my flooring is not available any more-- Its in an '02, lots of labor patching it up with with a close color but different thickness and different locking tabs, Thought about going to tile--ugh!

Max H
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, Gas
2006 Malibu
Old 04-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Finish replacing the carpet with Allure vinyl. Pictures can be seen at rv new flooring

http://community.webshots.com/user/quilterpattio RV new flooring
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #14

Thanks for all the great advise. I'll let you all know how it turns out.