Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Floor replacement-Newmar DS

We're(should read DW) wanting to replace the flooring,(currently a combo of carpet/12x12 vinyl squares) from the front entry of our MH into the bedroom with 4-6"x36" strips. We will most likely glue it in addition to any other method used by the respective product we choose. We have chosen, 1. engineered wood, followed by (2) different brands of good quality vinyl. Each time we were ready to have the installer start, the were told by the tech department of each respective product that they would not guarantee their it due to the cold north Missouri winter temps. Since this most likely will be our last winter here, we could conceivably wait until next spring to do the install. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with flooring products similar to what I've describe that would be more temperature tolerant?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Engineered wood with urethane adhesive or Mannington Adura adhered with the M-711 pressure sensitive adhesive. Everything will stay put. Not cheap- but if you want something you don't have to worry about- spend the money.
You don't have that many square feet.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
We're(should read DW) wanting to replace the flooring,(currently a combo of carpet/12x12 vinyl squares) from the front entry of our MH into the bedroom with 4-6"x36" strips. We will most likely glue it in addition to any other method used by the respective product we choose. We have chosen, 1. engineered wood, followed by (2) different brands of good quality vinyl. Each time we were ready to have the installer start, the were told by the tech department of each respective product that they would not guarantee their it due to the cold north Missouri winter temps. Since this most likely will be our last winter here, we could conceivably wait until next spring to do the install. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with flooring products similar to what I've describe that would be more temperature tolerant?

We had Mannington Adura installed in July 2011. Since that time, we spent 1 winter close to Gatlinburg, TN, with temps down to zero. We normally spend November and December in cold area. Never a problem with the floor materials or installation.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
To Ernie E & Steve O, our mh will be in storage this coming winter from Nov 2015-April 2016 so it will not be heated. Don`t know if this will change anyone's respective answer.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
watching to learn more thanks
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Does the Mannington Adura or the engineered wood flooring butt up to each other or does it snap together prior to gluing?

7:58p-Just looked at the latest flooring sample that we had decided on and it is several of the Mannington Adura 4'x36' vinyl planks in the Coolibah Burlwood/Clove design mounted on a 16"x24" display board. These do not seem to be interlocking or snap together but appear to be butted up tight to each other. Will be paying the flooring store a visit tomorrow and see if they still have this flooring that we had to special order. If so, I will then contact our installer and see what adhesive he was going to use and suggest the one recommended by Ernie E if theirs is different.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Does the Mannington Adura or the engineered wood flooring butt up to each other or does it snap together prior to gluing?

7:58p-Just looked at the latest flooring sample that we had decided on and it is several of the Mannington Adura 4'x36' vinyl planks in the Coolibah Burlwood/Clove design mounted on a 16"x24" display board. These do not seem to be interlocking or snap together but appear to be butted up tight to each other. Will be paying the flooring store a visit tomorrow and see if they still have this flooring that we had to special order. If so, I will then contact our installer and see what adhesive he was going to use and suggest the one recommended by Ernie E if theirs is different.

Can't give you much help. We used the Adura in 16"x16" tiles which were glued down with standard grout line spacing.

I'm guessing none of the flooring manufacturers will have any installation guidance for a cold soak situation. To many lawyers.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

IF- adhered with my prior post and allowed to cure in the temp that material was installed- for at least a few days- all will be fine.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
My thanks to Ernie E (aka the flooring guru)- and Steve O for their advise and taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Have contacted the installer and he will be scheduling a time soon for the install. Will see if I can get some before/after pics to post.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
I can only relay my fiasco. I bought 12 x 12 peel & stick tiles (they were medium top grade at about $4.00/ea). Took a long and careful time laying them in really hot summer weekend, even following directions regarding the "grain" of the tile. That winter the suckers got cold and at -20 and every joint went up to 1/4" space. If worried about temperature buy one sample and measure it's dimensions hot then after a while in a cold freezer and remeasure. I know of no glue that can beat laws of physics about expansion-contraction. This will tell you how big a fight you may or may not have.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I used Mannington MT-711 adhesive per their recommendations on my Vinyl plank flooring with a plywood underlayment. It has held up well in humid Florida and hot (115 degree) Texas heat. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
I used Mannington MT-711 adhesive per their recommendations on my Vinyl plank flooring with a plywood underlayment. It has held up well in humid Florida and hot (115 degree) Texas heat. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Thanks for the post. Good info to know.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #13

peel and stick tiles are for the do it yourself crowd. Due to the fact that you installed this material in high temps, and when it got cold you have gaps- the instructions are quite clear about the installation temps.
Although the adhesive is quite sticky to the touch, ANY DUST- if you don't clean and vacuum, the tiles will stay down- but not for long as the dust will neutralize the adhesive. Generally, the edges will start to curl. There is no cure.
Save yourselves some serious cash- select a product that needs adhesive.
ps- I installed those tiles years ago- never again
I like my jobs to last without callbacks- that's why I advise like I do

Tags
ace, newmar, replace, replacement