Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 AM   #1

We have noticed the floor being weak/rotted sinking a bit around the toilet, it has a rinse spray hose that we just noticed must have been leaking a small amount for quite awhile. the coach is a 94 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE on a Ford chassis.
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace the wood floor and what all may be involved or is that a job to take to a dealer?
I know how to replace flooring in a house makes it easy if you can see floor joist but in a MH I dont see any?
also how is the black tank held up there?

it seems that the whole thing is gonna drop through the floor, it has a china toilet if that matters.

thanks in advance

craig

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 AM   #2

We have noticed the floor being weak/rotted sinking a bit around the toilet, it has a rinse spray hose that we just noticed must have been leaking a small amount for quite awhile. the coach is a 94 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE on a Ford chassis.
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace the wood floor and what all may be involved or is that a job to take to a dealer?
I know how to replace flooring in a house makes it easy if you can see floor joist but in a MH I dont see any?
also how is the black tank held up there?

it seems that the whole thing is gonna drop through the floor, it has a china toilet if that matters.

thanks in advance

craig

Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all you need to make sure the leak is fixed, dry the wood out then install a 3/8 sub floor on top then cover with your choice of flooring. Molding should cover the transion area by the door
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #4

Thanks Richard,
We did dry the floor out , I was thought I was going to have to remove the original layer of wood floor and start over.
But I like the cover on top of with the 3/8" sub floor.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:51 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best of luck to you.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Taking up the old floor would be very difficult - they lay the floor before installing any of the walls or cabinets, so everything is on top of the floor. You would have to do a shallow cut to remove a small section and then figure out how to re-attach. An overlay is the only really practical solution. There should be adequate length on the toilet's downpipe to allow for 3/8" additional layer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with them, add a top plate to the exsisting floor
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We are headed to the Monaco factory on sept 17 to have our rotted floor fixed. Caused by a leak in 2002 that took me a few months to find as it was intermittent. Probably have to remove the slide and cabinets to access it. Preliminary estimate--40 hrs @ $90 per hr. Sure glad our insurance will cover it!
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #9

our leak to was intermittent , I just thought that it was water from taking a shower or washing face off in the small sink and getting on the floor. was I wrong

traced it down to a small leak at the rinse hose only every now and then but it went on and on so now it's sub-floor time.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've got the same thing on my 97 Endeavor. The area around the toilet (especially in the rear) is completely rotted. My bath floor is tiled. I'm trying to figure out the best way to address this. I was hoping to remove the tile and see if I can find floor joist of some type to do a cut-out and replace a section (without doing the whole floor area. Does anyone know if the flange is attached to the tank permanently? The screws on mine are pretty rusty, so I didn't try taking them out tonight. I'm hoping the flange comes off and leaves the tube from the tank sticking up.

Darryl Howell
Smyrna GA
Old 09-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #11

Our floor is tiles too, and have the china toilet not the plastic type.
have not tackled it yet, since not using now.
after 10 fillups it cost us $3,000.00

not much traveling these days

we are going to sell our Western Horizons membership, home park is Camp Verde AZ.
so if interested give me a email.
thanks

sorry to go off topic a bit.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have taken pictures of my tear-out and rebuild project. As soon as it's finished, I'll post them for all to see. Before tackling this, I had a long talk with a friend that runs his own RV shop. Turns out he actually did an Endeavor about 3 years ago. Said the guy was heavy and actually fell through the rotted floor. He gave me pointers on how to do this properly.

You might be interested to know that the toilet flange is screwed into the tank. After you take out the screws in the flange, it just unscrews from the tank. In my case, all the wood around the flange had rotted, and the screws wouldn't budge (they were so corroded up). I was able to turn out the flange with the screws still in it. The hardest thing to do is get a saw in to cut out the rotted wood. Since it's in a corner and the water lines and drain (from the sink) run along the wall, it's hard to get in there. I removed all the tile in the bath --- didn't care for the white anyway. It's a good opportunity to put in a nice color.

More later.

Darryl Howell
Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #13

Darryl,
I would be very interested in the "proper procedures" and all the pictures you have.. I have not tackled it yet, but I am a heavy guy also and my wife thinks that I too may go through the floor.

If you can pm me or email the directions would be great. I don't always get on here to chk.

thanks
Good luck with yours too.

Craig

Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sure thing Craig. I'm laying tile tonight. I'm really glad to get this project over this weekend.

Darryl