Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
Storage, counter space, double sink, good couch-preferably cloth, sensible living area that includes front seats, no more than 2 TV sets, no dumb designer stuff like huge circular diner seating with a tiny table in the middle.
I like the idea of the expandable couch seating. I also look for intelligent design and placement of utilities (outlets, water lines, location of tanks and drains) and maintenance items.

'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
My next coach MUST have a Murphy Bed. That room would then be used during the day for a den, office or an entertainment room.

However, most of the coaches that offer Murphy Beds are way beyond my means, therefore it is only a dream.

Realistically, I now have the coach that meets my needs, wood floors from entry to bedroom, LOTS of inside and outside storage, and I have owned it for 10 years now.

No plans to change unless I win the Powerball Lottery. The winners were in Arizona and Missouri, not in Nevada.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
Master of Disaster

For us, really, three things:

1) private throne room. This was non-negotiable.
2) diesel generator. This was non-negotiable
3) no twisting to watch TV. This was slightly negotiable
4) lots of windows and light colored cabinets/flooring. This was somewhat negotiable.

However, in the end, we got all four and are much happier for it, I think.

Since we aren't full timers storage was not a major consideration; to be honest, even on our three week trip (the longest we are likely to do in the next few years) we have come nowhere near filling the basement storage we have.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My next coach MUST have a Murphy Bed. That room would then be used during the day for a den, office or an entertainment room.
... ----- Richard
I'm surprised manufacturers don't offer a murphy bed or a sofa sleeper in the rear room as an option for those who'd like to have 2 living areas.

A couch with belts in the back would be fantastic for the kids while on the road - they could watch movies or play games while we have some peace and quiet in the front !
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
Just bought. Here's our list of features we required to change and wouldn't have traded without:
All electric coach
Full size residential fridge w freezer
Counter space
Big microwave/convection combo oven to eliminate standard oven
Comfortable couch with straight view of big screen TV (for DH)
Full size stacked washer and dryer
Full width closet
Full size dresser drawers (that hold more than 2 t shirts!)
Big shower (neither of us small)
Heated basement
Adequate internal storage (if there is such a thing)
Good basement storage

Something I wanted but didn't get so must not have been a deal breaker:
The large semicircular dinette. This served as my "personal space nook" in old MH.
Something I like but not practical because of large slideouts is a side door. This allows the shotgun seat area to become a "personal space."
You can see the personal space is an issue for me which I haven't solved yet in my new MH. Right now its just the dinette table and a chair.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
For us it was to have a rear bath, so one wouldn't have to go through the bathroom all the time to access the bedroom
A Midship TV for ease of watching
Be able to replace a couch with a recliner and desk.
Residential fridge
Gas Cooktop and Convection MW
Dining area on Curb side
Gas Connection for BBQ and FirePit
Tag Axle for extra CCC
King walk around bed with at night table beside
2 Storage bays with slideout trays

Probably missed one or two items but we're glad we we're able to find it all in one coach pretty much.
Trap, Jan and the Pup
2013 Monaco Diplomat 43dft
2010 Black Jeep Liberty
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
You'll want to consider how you plan to use the rig. I take others with me more often than not, and I pretty much live outside. Unless there is a hurricane passing over, all meals are cooked outside. I wanted the kitchen sink and fridge as near to the door as they could be to minimize the trips through the living area when preparing meals and cleaning up afterwards. Since I usually have company, I wanted a bathroom door that swung toward the bedroom door so others could access it without having to walk past the bathroom and into the bedroom to open the bathroom door. This is one feature that I didn't give a thought to when I bought my first unit, but I assure you it became the most important feature when I bought this one!
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
My #1 must have was nightstands by the bed, I was surprised at how many I looked at didn't have them, if you are sitting in bed reading you have to throw the book on the floor, I like to keep my cell phone and heater remote control handy, and in the morning where do you put your coffee or juice ?
You almost have to spend a few nights in one first to discover the design flaws, cabinet doors that block opening others or a fridge door that hits something when open, I keep whacking my head on the corner of my upper cabinet next to the entry door, also many beds have a window above it so no headboard, I like to read or watch TV in bed.
Docking lights are also nice, and a drivers door too.
1990 34' Hawkins Motor Coach, Oshkosh/460 Ford EFI. '97 Subaru Impreza 5 speed towd, NorthEast Alabama.
Manuel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it this way as I sit here in my Motor home, a "Bath and a half" model.

The must have, which we have is "2 holes, No waiting" (Bath and a half)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
40' or less at least 3 slides
King Size Bed
Center coach TV
Free standing Dinette (Although bench dinettes usually seem easy to replace.)
Need a very comfy chair, recliner maybe.
Bath and 1/2 would be nice.
Large wardrobe
Stacked washer and dryer
Started our journey: 2015 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, 2016 Forest River Vengeance Touring 39R12 toy hauler, Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited.
Mr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
For us, it's more about things we DON'T want.

If we can't live in it with NO slides extended we don't want it.
If the entertainment center is overly complicated we don't want it.
If it doesn't have at least 2 Fantastic (type) fans we don't want it.
If the lamps and drawer pulls are the usual trash we don't want it.
If it has carpet we don't want it.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
We built our "want to have" list by going through many MH in the price range were were looking to buy. The big RV shows are a great place to do that. Orderd ours at the FMCA rally in Indianapolis. The floor plan was the deciding factor, Allegro 36LA.
Bath and a half, living area faced the TV, walk around bed (bit tight on the sides), double door frig, lots of storage, and usable with the slides in. Everything else can pretty much be orderd the same on all the MHs we looked at. In our case we went with heat pump, no overhead tv, convection/microwave, no oven, drivers door, leather, power seats, saround sound, 7K generator (that really is a must), and some other things that don't pop into my mind right now.
In short; yes, it's the floor plan.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #27
Must haves - opposing slides, night stands, queen walk around bed, minimal carpet, 1 piece shower, across coach living (oh, I already said opposing slides, large holding tanks, good insulation, affordable for me (move this to #1).

We immediately walked away from anything with carpet, no night stands, dark interior, king bed (these take up way too much room in what is very limited space).
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #28
I agree on the Murphy Bed; there is a real neat option out there called a Power Murphy Bed. Google it and see how it works. Any of the manufacturers could easily set this up with the head board being placed at the back of the coach and have either one or two slide outs to create a full walk around bed. When the bed is in the "UP" position, you'll have a TV on the underside of the bed or there is an option for a fold down desk. Having a second space during the day as an office, den would be great. This is a perfect example of the big guys not thinking outside the box or not responding to the observations of the owners. When I was at the Hershey show, I think Fleetwood had a murphy bed option in a super Class C.

esfritzi is offline   Reply With Quote