Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #1

Talking Floorplan must haves

So we've heard it said: "The most important thing is to find the right floor plan!" Well, let's let the factuality of that statement just slide for now.
There sure are a lot of floorplans out there.

Also the term floorplan seems a bit limiting, I mean hot water on demand or rearview monitor might be a must have.

However, if you were shopping today for a full-time MH, what features, floor plan or otherwise, would be on your must have list, and why?

James
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The top of our list was, and remains not having to twist around to watch television so we made sure we got a coach with a mid ship entertainment center.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We had 3,

1. Side entry, on DW's list at first, after using it for a year it's on mine for any future coach.

2. North/South bed, neither of us wanted to fumble around the long way in the middle of the night. On my "deal breaker" list as I knew darn good and well just who would be making that trek while half asleep.

3. Split bath with private toilet. On both of ours from the beginning.

Each list will be very different as folks likes needs are different.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two potties.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

Top of my list has and always be comfort living. And the only way I know of to determine that is once you find a floor plan you think you like get rid of the salesman and spend an hour or so playing house. Pretend you are doing everything in a normal day, eating sleeping, making a meal. All the time making A list of likes and dislikes you will very quickly find what floor plans you like best.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Top of my list has and always be comfort living. And the only way I know of to determine that is once you find a floor plan you think you like get rid of the salesman and spend an hour or so playing house. Pretend you are doing everything in a normal day, eating sleeping, making a meal. All the time making A list of likes and dislikes you will very quickly find what floor plans you like best.

On this note: Get into the shower, then step out and pretend you're grabbing a towel. It's surprising the number of coaches don't have a good place to put a towel.

For us, sideways living room and 2 bathrooms were at the top of the list.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
The top of our list was, and remains not having to twist around to watch television so we made sure we got a coach with a mid ship entertainment center.

Rick
Amen, brother! That's the A-number 1 must have. Second is a bathroom big enough to change your mind in. Third is actual counter space to cook something other than a TV dinner.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #8

Sorry ... Bit of a long list...but you asked!

1) Mid-entertainment center for the TV + proper Winegard system for HD reception.

2) Don't spend much time in freezing temps, but do spend time where it is chilly in the morning.....Fireplace...great heat @ great look + don't trip over it like a space heater.

3) Proper Desk with filing cabinet, junk drawer, chair, etc.

4) Fantastic Fans....poor man's AC.

5) Room for a comfy chair in the bedroom to watch second TV.

6) Washer & Dryer ......even if it is just for small loads.

7) Pantry, surround sound, Satellite radio, PVR, bike rack.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #9

Number #1 on my list is always the sleeping arrangements. Twin beds or a King, no Queens and walk around if a King. Twins are what we have in both of our Motorhomes and love that set up.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #10

Like wincrasher said, VERY important to us....adequate counter space. Pull off the sink and oven covers and see what remains. And yes, this is part of "floor plan" that has always been "must haves" for us. Still amazes me that so many coaches, even the $$$$'s ones, have such limited counter space. Rainy days and no counter space always get me down....

One other item that is an absolute blessing to us is having 2 seperate bathroom sink/medicine cabinet areas....saves an incredible amount of time (know what I mean?) AND aggravation. This is one of the nicest feature, IMO, on any coach that has it.

Lots to consider....hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Private toilet - for everyone's safety and my privacy
Vanity outside of private toilet - Wife's needs.
King bed - Me, Wife and Thor's needs.
3 slides - We like a bit more room than 2 non-FSW slides provide, 4 slides is fine if it doesn't cause CCC problems.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely a walk-around king bed. Also, I like the dining area as far away from the bathroom as possible.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #13

Though ours is only a queen, it had to be "walk-around".

No crawling over in the middle of the night!

Everything else isn't nearly as important.

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I am currently looking to upgrade my rig and the two most important features I am looking for is an island bed and a kitchen with some counter space that can be completely used without having to extend any slides. This in a rig that is 29' or under. An all-in-one bathroom would be nice too but not a deal breaker for me.
GrassShack is offline   Reply With Quote