Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Florida Garage idea and pictures

I recently purchased a lot next to my home in florida and want to build a space for the MH on the lot. I really need some ideas and suggestions on the construction. There must be a lot of ideas out there. Florida has real different requirements from up north.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I recently purchased a lot next to my home in florida and want to build a space for the MH on the lot. I really need some ideas and suggestions on the construction. There must be a lot of ideas out there. Florida has real different requirements from up north.
When I purchase my metal building, the manufacturer knew the local codes and design criteria based on zip code. When I was getting quotes from about 3 different building manufacturers, that's the 1st question asked. I would assume any engineered system or set of drawings specific to your site would incorporate these codes. Mine only had to be built to sustain 90 MPH wind and virtually no snow load.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
current code requires min 150 mph for Charlotte County. Code also calls the structure match the house.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
current code requires min 150 mph for Charlotte County. Code also calls the structure match the house.
Is the last a subdivision deed restriction (HOA) or county ordinance?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will they allow you to build just garage without a house since it's deeded as a separate property or would you have to combine the two lots as one??
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a house there. The properties will have to be merged. thee are no deed restrictions but this appears to be a county requirement that the structure matches the house. It does not include shed or other out building.

Not certain if they mean it must be the same color or to include the finish. Currently the house is stucco.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Deed restricted here, in Citrus Springs, which is a giant sized development in Citrus County (We're east of Crystal River, about 10 miles from the Gulf).

Our community guys were pretty interested in set back, asking that it be set back from the road a little further than the house. Once I told them I was not going with the rounded eave style, and was dealing with Carolina Carports Inc., they were good to go as far as building style. I found the county building department could care less as long as you meet the building codes, and with the Carolina Carport prints in hand, code requirements are met. The building inspector will reference those and be gone.

The 150mph wind thing involves the installation of mobile home type screw anchor tie downs. On ours, they're installed on 10' centers down both sides. I addition, there's the wind braces, and Carolina can help there. They show in all the pics. on the website, and when you start a price quote you'll see the selections required to meet wind criteria. It's really nothing to worry about on the structure. You'll see the garage doors also use more bracing. Which reminds me. I felt Carolina's door prices were excessive. You might want to do some shopping there? There's no reason you can't visit Lowe's or Home Depot for those.

Our coach won't be around long enough to worry about a garage that it would fit in. Ours was more about a boat, a car, and "stuff". After collecting concrete quotes that nearly doubled the price of our project, I decided to go another way, and used pavers which I was able to do myself and they turned out great - for about 25% of the price of concrete. I'm not sure what would be involved, or even if you could build a base sturdy enough to use those for something as heavy as a DP. My thought is they may be an option if used in conjunction with a more limited amount of concrete?

Forgot, something else I learned on this project is not all sand is the same. It changes according to the amount of clay in it. When/if you need fill for your garage pad/approach/driveway, you can ask the ask the pit operator for high clay content because you'll be driving on it. It's very little extra, and I'm pretty sure you'll be amazed at how hard it is once in place and compacted. -Al
Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No requirement here for things to match but I took it to excess right down to the roof shingles and chimney surround.

The pad was put down exceeding highway specs, we have a tad bit deeper frost line up here.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we don't have frost in Florida but we do need high wind load protection. There must be a lot of MH garages down there/ foundation footing is to stop the building from lifting up and over
Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #10

FL has two basic wind load standards, Miami-Dade county and everywhere else.

With that said, each permitting authority has there own nuisances. I have a neighbor with a standalone concrete block RV garage. It's roughly 20' wide 50' deep and has 16' tall walls. He has rebar running vertically in the walls about every 3 feet. The rebar is attached to the rebar in the slab and solid poured lentils. The wall block is solid poured wherever the rebar runs in the walls. The footer is roughly 12" deep.

A friend in a neighboring county is currently building a nearly identical in size. He is required to use 16x16 block every 12' on the walls. There is 4 rebar runs in these 16x16 blocks and they are solid poured. He also has solid pours for the first 2-3' of wall block from each corner. The solid pours and vertical rebar are specifically for wind loading.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
FL has two basic wind load standards, Miami-Dade county and everywhere else.

A friend in a neighboring county is currently building a nearly identical in size. He is required to use 16x16 block every 12' on the walls. There is 4 rebar runs in these 16x16 blocks and they are solid poured. He also has solid pours for the first 2-3' of wall block from each corner. The solid pours and vertical rebar are specifically for wind loading.
I had stopped by a MH owners property nearby my home in Englewood and he metioned the 16" footer. That was for the Metal canopy for the MH. I checked out the Charlotte Co website and it appears they want the 16" there in the event you put up building on the slab at a future date.

Still conflicted if they will let me put up a steel building or if they will want a block. I have had prices as High as $71K for a 30 X 40 Block. Seems way out there.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #12

That's why they go steel.

Call the building department. They're generally pretty east to work with in my experience....
Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #13

Most counties are not going to approve a metal building on lot sizes of about an acre or 2 or less. Most codes require like construction for smaller lots.

Metal RV carports can be anchored to the ground, so 16" footers aren't required. The Carolina Carports' engineering documents have certified anchors for concrete at least 12" thick and another anchor for concrete as thin as 4". I'm going through permitting now for a RV carport. My RV pad is 6+" thick with a 12" footer. The footer has one ring of rebar.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida