Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-a-ling View Post
As I said, my renewal was May, this month.........

I originally had Allstate - for years. GS kept sending info to compare their rates and I ignored them for along time. Finally broke down and sent them my Allstate figures. GMAC (GS) was much cheaper.

Comparing insurance rates is kinda like comparing gas mileage - no two seem to be the same.

FJF
I re-read your first post, the '09 threw me as they did have a state wide increase around that time. This is what I trying to find out, is GMAC is doing it statewide or for certain 'regions' of FL and / or are they hitting MH's in general. So it looks like central FL did not have a big increase.

Thanks for the second reply to clarify it, I hope to have someone else with the Good Sam mail forwarding reply to see if it is the area of FL. I can change my license and tag within FL a lot easier than everything.

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Hey Bob-

As I read some interesting subjects (to me), it seems to me that you had two "specific" answers to your "specific" question in responses #3 & #5. In your original question, you referenced your "Toad" also. Then you start a "lash out" at responding members in post #6.

And you have been around here a long, long time (about 6 years)- shame on you .
Max,

Post 6 begins with 'please, please, please'. Then asks only for replies from MH's in FL with GMAC. I hope to find out if it is a statewide issue or just specific areas of FL.

The reference to the toad was to make the point that the increase was on the Bounder and not the car.

Bob

Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
Please, please, please,

This is a MH specific question. If you have an 'other', please don't reply.

All of our increase is on our Bounder, if you have a 5th, TT, or something else, this is a MH forum. Go away.

We are also insured in FL, again in the subject line. Yes, insurance is cheaper in SD. I know, but we picked FL. Again it is in the subject line.

Ding-a-ling - please post back when you get your next renewal. The 'cost of business' crap I'm looking at just happened in March, 2012. So you just might be next.

Rusty, we have had GMAC for appx. 6+ years. Other than an across the board increase 2-3 years ago, they have been very fair with the annual adjustments.

MRBB - you sound close to our situation. On what did it jump $183?

Thanks,

Bob
You tell me to go away and then ask me a question?

I hope you find out what you need and get what you deserve...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Geesh guys, when I see stuff like this it reminds me of some of the cretins that frequent that other forum, r*.net. I would like to think we're better then that. Both of you need to step back and take a deep breath and count to 10.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Gee, I had some info about GMAC that I thought of sharing, but I think I'll stay away from this one....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Gee, I had some info about GMAC that I thought of sharing, but I think I'll stay away from this one....

Give it some time then come on back.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
x2, steelhead, and I own a Bounder but, I don't live in FL.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Insurance is probably the main reason I will never have official residence in Florida. My dad did it because he said there was no state tax. After years of outrageous home and property insurance, he admitted he probably should stayed an Ohio residence. Of course, the weather is another issue. He didn't want to come back here and live in the winter, and I couldn't blame him.

I guess I would just start looking for another insurance company.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bob and Inga,
Blame the Florida State Legislature. Last year my coach insurance went up 20% and this year it went up another 20%. All these increases are for no good reason. The Florida Legislature tells the insurance companies how much they can charge and by golly the companies increase their rates to the maximum amount. The really hard part is after calling around nobody will beat the new rate? At the Tamps RV Super Show, for the last two years, I drop off my declarations pages to the vendors selling coach insurance. I provide my contact information and tell them to contact me if they can beat the rate. In two years, nobody have given me a call,,,,nobody.

Remember part of the increase goes to lobbyists and contributions to the politicians.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
You tell me to go away and then ask me a question?

I hope you find out what you need and get what you deserve...
Silly me, I received your reply via email and assumed you had a MH. Having been hit with two 20% increases I was not in the best of moods. Then when the very first reply to very specific MH, FL, GMAC question is replied by someone with a trailer in TX with some other insurance which threw the thread so far off topic as to make may day even worse.

Bob
Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Bob and Inga,
Blame the Florida State Legislature. Last year my coach insurance went up 20% and this year it went up another 20%. All these increases are for no good reason. The Florida Legislature tells the insurance companies how much they can charge and by golly the companies increase their rates to the maximum amount. The really hard part is after calling around nobody will beat the new rate? At the Tamps RV Super Show, for the last two years, I drop off my declarations pages to the vendors selling coach insurance. I provide my contact information and tell them to contact me if they can beat the rate. In two years, nobody have given me a call,,,,nobody.

Remember part of the increase goes to lobbyists and contributions to the politicians.
Gary,

Thanks for a meaningful reply. Not what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is. But I will still take FL over a lot of other states. At least there is no property or excise tax like some states. Our tags are even cheap.

Bob
Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Insurance is probably the main reason I will never have official residence in Florida. My dad did it because he said there was no state tax. After years of outrageous home and property insurance, he admitted he probably should stayed an Ohio residence. Of course, the weather is another issue. He didn't want to come back here and live in the winter, and I couldn't blame him.

I guess I would just start looking for another insurance company.
Davdeb1,

I with your father on this. But I knew going in that FL was not the best place for insurance. It is the two big recent increases that hurt. Hate to see what happens if FL gets hit with a couple of hurricanes. Thanks for the reply,

Bob
Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #27

My home owners insurance here in Florida seems pretty high and my auto insurance and insurance on my truck also seems high. I have State Farm. On the other hand, I was absolutely stunned when I got my insurance on the motor home. It was less per year than the insurance on my car is for 6 months! It has unlimited mileage too. I just upped my mileage on my car from 7,500 miles annually to 10,000 and State Farm sent me bill for $75. When I started asking questions about such low insurance on the Winnie MH I was told that since it was just for pleasure, the insurance was not going to cost much. I fairly screamed that pleasure driving is all I've been doing since I retired from the USN in '91. Yes she said but they only classify RVs as pleasure driving vehicles not cars. Had I known this I would have been driving nothing but an RV since I retired. The savings on insurance would probably pay for for one.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
We just got our renewal from Good Sam's GMAC insurance, shows a nice 24.8% increase over 6 months ago. I called and they said 'They reviewed their cost of doing business in March, so ...'.

There have been no changes in our situation, violations, credit, claims, etc. One thing I did notice is that the statement has 'Good Sam' letterhead vs. GMAC letterhead with Good Sam printed on it. They also included a boatload of 'policy amendments', much more than normal.

Almost all of the increase (just over $200 on a 6 month plan) was on the Bounder. The car only went up $3. I know FL is an expensive place to insure, but this kind of increase is nuts. Especially considering that they had a statewide 20% across the board increase 2 - 3 years ago.

Anyone else get a FL GMAC renewal statement for their MH within the past 5 - 6 weeks? Be curious if everyone in FL is getting this kind of hit.

Bob

Bob,
On Jan,23 i bought good sam/gmac ins. for our 2012 Tiffin 36' phaeton (we live in southwest fl.)..6 mo. policy was $721.00 then on Feb. 24 we got an increase of $92.18......total for 6 mo. $813.18
after a 6200 mile trek, when we got home i emailed gmac that the mh would be in storage for the 2 months april/may, two weeks later we got a rebate of $212.36...total ins. cost now is $600..82
(rebate storage min. 30 days or more)

btw..the ins for our 04 gmc denali is $636.12 for 6 mo.

peter d

Tags
florida, insurance