Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #1

Florida Good Sam GMAC Insurance - 24.8% increase

We just got our renewal from Good Sam's GMAC insurance, shows a nice 24.8% increase over 6 months ago. I called and they said 'They reviewed their cost of doing business in March, so ...'.

There have been no changes in our situation, violations, credit, claims, etc. One thing I did notice is that the statement has 'Good Sam' letterhead vs. GMAC letterhead with Good Sam printed on it. They also included a boatload of 'policy amendments', much more than normal.

Almost all of the increase (just over $200 on a 6 month plan) was on the Bounder. The car only went up $3. I know FL is an expensive place to insure, but this kind of increase is nuts. Especially considering that they had a statewide 20% across the board increase 2 - 3 years ago.

Anyone else get a FL GMAC renewal statement for their MH within the past 5 - 6 weeks? Be curious if everyone in FL is getting this kind of hit.

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
We don't live in Florida, but that's precisely why we dropped Good Sam/GMAC. When we first signed up, the "teaser" rate for the 1st year was quite attractive and offered a substantial saving over State Farm on our vehicle policy. We went through huge increases over the next year or two with no claims or traffic violations before we finally gave up and dumped them.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Our GMAC insurance for the MH and Saturn went up $56 for the current (May - Nov.) period. Last year in May the rate actually went down $2
Since Nov. '09 the total increase has been $169. I will attribute that to the "cost of doing business."

What Limits/Deductibles you choose matter and discounts can make a difference. My Discounts Applied:
GMAC Family Discount
Good Sam Active Membership
Homeowner Discount
Multi-Car Discount
Airbag Discount
Anti-lock Brakes Discount
GM Loyalty Discount
Original Owner Discount
Senior Driver Discount (2)

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Try these links for insurance quotes. We also increase our deductabiles which will reduce your cost. I personally wouldn't Good Sam anything.

Recreational vehicle insurance custom-designed by Explorer RV
RV Advantage | FCIS Insurance - RV Insurance, Motor Home Insurance, Travel Trailer Insurance
FMCA Motorhome and Auto Insurance Plan
RV Insurance, Motorcycle & Auto Insurance | Gilbert RV Insurance
Miller Insurance Agency National Interstate
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Yep, went up $183.50... No claims nothing... Hate insurance companies!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

Please, please, please,

This is a MH specific question. If you have an 'other', please don't reply.

All of our increase is on our Bounder, if you have a 5th, TT, or something else, this is a MH forum. Go away.

We are also insured in FL, again in the subject line. Yes, insurance is cheaper in SD. I know, but we picked FL. Again it is in the subject line.

Ding-a-ling - please post back when you get your next renewal. The 'cost of business' crap I'm looking at just happened in March, 2012. So you just might be next.

Rusty, we have had GMAC for appx. 6+ years. Other than an across the board increase 2-3 years ago, they have been very fair with the annual adjustments.

MRBB - you sound close to our situation. On what did it jump $183?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
All of our increase is on our Bounder, if you have a 5th, TT, or something else, this is a MH forum. Go away.
Although your point is taken, please understand that any iRV2 member has the right to post on any public forum.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Although your point is taken, please understand that any iRV2 member has the right to post on any public forum.

Rusty
If the question is very specific as to FL, MH, Good Sam, GMAC. Then a lot of us don't need to hear from someone who does not come close to the question being asked, doing the reply to the problem.

I have lots of others things to say, lets meet.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga

This is a MH specific question. If you have an 'other', please don't reply.

Bob
WOW. And yet even you as the OP had to mention the small rate increase on your Car
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #10

Yes, almost all of the increase is on our Bounder, not the car, not the liability, not anything else. That is why this post went on the MH forum. So are we saying that the iRV2 forum groups are nothing but a joke??? Looks that way to me.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
The 'cost of business' crap I'm looking at just happened in March, 2012. So you just might be next.
As I said, my renewal was May, this month.........

I originally had Allstate - for years. GS kept sending info to compare their rates and I ignored them for along time. Finally broke down and sent them my Allstate figures. GMAC (GS) was much cheaper.

Comparing insurance rates is kinda like comparing gas mileage - no two seem to be the same.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Your question was indeed quite specific, so answers that address other states or other vehicle types could be considered "off topic" and be removed by the moderators. That said, it is pretty much the norm for internet forums responses to be all over the map when you request input of this sort and the staff doesn't spend their time policing the quality of the responses except in the most egregious cases.

If you haven't seen the joke about "How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb", you will probably find it humorous as well as instructional.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
Your question was indeed quite specific, so answers that address other states or other vehicle types could be considered "off topic" and be removed by the moderators. That said, it is pretty much the norm for internet forums responses to be all over the map when you request input of this sort and the staff doesn't spend their time policing the quality of the responses except in the most egregious cases.

If you haven't seen the joke about "How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb", you will probably find it humorous as well as instructional.
Another good one! LMAO! Some people on here just have to get a sense of humor about thine
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bob-

As I read some interesting subjects (to me), it seems to me that you had two "specific" answers to your "specific" question in responses #3 & #5. In your original question, you referenced your "Toad" also. Then you start a "lash out" at responding members in post #6.

And you have been around here a long, long time (about 6 years)- shame on you .

Tags
florida, insurance