Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 06:06 AM   #1

Fluctuating water pressure

Im hooked up permanently to shore power, and water. Whenever i turn on the water i get an initial burst of water. But then the pressure drops. I have my regulator set at 50 psi. Any ideas as to what might be causing this drop in pressure. Thanx Rat Fink.
Rat Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #2

Sounds like the supply pressure is lower than your regulator is set at. The way to verify that is to have a pressure gauge on the inlet and down stream of the regulator. I service restaurant equipment and that is a very common issue with things like coffeemakers that run on a timer. Is this issue a new one or has it been going on? There may be some maintenance on the water main causing your issue.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnjc0321 View Post
Sounds like the supply pressure is lower than your regulator is set at. The way to verify that is to have a pressure gauge on the inlet and down stream of the regulator. I service restaurant equipment and that is a very common issue with things like coffeemakers that run on a timer. Is this issue a new one or has it been going on? There may be some maintenance on the water main causing your issue.
Seems like im the onle one having this problem. Just wondering if this might be cased by a filter that needs replacement? Not easy right now. Park has all water outlets taped for winter.
Rat Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It could also be your regulator. I've had them restrict flow like that where you get as surge at first from the pressure in the line but there's not enough flow to maintain the pressure.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Just wondering if this might be cased by a filter that needs replacement?
Bingo.

If you're FTing, these will need to be changed on average every 3 months.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

*Dirty/clogged water filter.
*City Water Inlet internal check fail failing
*Water pressure regulator failing

How is water pressure using on-board pump?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
*Dirty/clogged water filter.
*City Water Inlet internal check fail failing
*Water pressure regulator failing

How is water pressure using on-board pump?
I would try the on-board pump too. If your water pump is OK, then not enough water is getting in from the city water connection (= filter/regulator/clog).

If using water pump is not OK, it still may be the filter - you will need to see where it is in line.

If it 'jack hammers' there could be air somewhere in the line.

I'm betting it is the filter and you might be able to just (shut off water), unscrew it, and clean it out. Let us know what you figure out,
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #8

A drop in pressure when the water is first turned on is caused by a restriction in the water line.

When you turn on the faucet, have someone check the water pressure gauge. If the pressure reading drops, the restriction is before the gauge, such as the city line faucet that isn't opened all the way or a kinked hose.

If the pressure reading does not drop, the restriction is between the gauge and the faucet, such as a partially blocked filter as mentioned earlier. It could also be an internal kinked hose or partially blocked hose screen in addition to the other possibilities mentioned.

If the house filter is the cartridge type, you could temporarily remove the cartridge and test. If the pressure stays good, get a new cartridge.

Tags
water, water pressure