Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #1

New Program as of February 1, 2008

RV RealValue Club

Greater Fuel Discounts
Earn higher fuel discounts through monthly restaurant and merchandise purchases at Flying J restaurants, fast food courts, convenience stores, Driver Services calling card purchases, and J Care service purchases. Month-to-date restaurant and merchandise purchases will be accumulated to increase your gasoline/diesel discount! (If you fail to purchase fuel in the following month, your earned fuel discount will apply to the calendar month of your next fuel purchase.)
Present your R.V. RealValue membership card to a Flying J cashier with all eligible restaurant and merchandise purchases (eligibility of purchases is subject to state or local law). Month-to-date (MTD) cumulative purchases will be printed on each receipt to keep you informed of the discount level you're earning.

Just read the article in FMCA about this. Another reduction in loyalty awards in my opinion. Plus with the 100 gallon per month limit, that would limit the average Class A user to 1 to 2 discounted fill ups per month.

Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #2

New Program as of February 1, 2008

RV RealValue Club

Greater Fuel Discounts
Earn higher fuel discounts through monthly restaurant and merchandise purchases at Flying J restaurants, fast food courts, convenience stores, Driver Services calling card purchases, and J Care service purchases. Month-to-date restaurant and merchandise purchases will be accumulated to increase your gasoline/diesel discount! (If you fail to purchase fuel in the following month, your earned fuel discount will apply to the calendar month of your next fuel purchase.)
Present your R.V. RealValue membership card to a Flying J cashier with all eligible restaurant and merchandise purchases (eligibility of purchases is subject to state or local law). Month-to-date (MTD) cumulative purchases will be printed on each receipt to keep you informed of the discount level you're earning.

Just read the article in FMCA about this. Another reduction in loyalty awards in my opinion. Plus with the 100 gallon per month limit, that would limit the average Class A user to 1 to 2 discounted fill ups per month.

Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forget it with a gas rig. They used to give me a whopping 1 cent/gal discount, now nothing with the rewards card. As mentioned, you have to buy stuff, or food in the store to get anything back. With the high traffic volume at Flying J's, I won't even go there anymore
Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #4

Yeah, the .01/gal discount wasn't much (propane was better). I'll still use them if I can get in without too long a wait -- I charge my purchases on a ConocoPhillips MC and most J's are Conoco, yielding a 3% rebate on next month's bill. At today's prices that can help, but don't know how much longer that program will continue....

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This change in the loyalty program has been discussed to death on other forums. A 1 cent per gallon discount was never the reason I went to Flying J to start with. Every little bit helps, but even on my big diesel it never amounted to more than a few cents. J's still have fresh fuel, normally have the lowest prices in the area, are easy in and out, and the loyalty card still gives you the cash price when using a credit card (which is WAY more than 1 cent a gallon).
Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I keep detailed gas records in an Excel spreadsheet. Have for the last 2 motorhomes.

Since Feb 2002 total gallons of gas purchased at FJ was 1037 gallons.

Total RV card savings @ 1 cent a gallon + $10.37.

I also saved a few nickles from LP purchases.

I saw 2 accidents and 2 fights, both between RVers.

I personally had a little word session with a lady behind me because she approached me and told me I was in the wrong lane. Turned out she was in the wrong lane.

End of FJ Reward Card report.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paul pretty much sums it up for me. Flying J is normally the cleanest truck stops we have used. The only one in which we have actually seen them power washing the RV lanes. Usually propane, water and dump station are available. Their prices are generally the lowest in the area. The food is edible in some of their restaurants. They are the only that offer any kind of discount - excuse me, I believe we have a Petro card for something. In my experience, the other brands make no attempt to cater to RVers in any way. Why wouldn't I stop at a Flying J if available?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #8

I use my FJ card to get the cash price when using my Citi credit card that gives me 3% cash back on fuel. I'm getting a dual benefit for using the "J".

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We never went to Flying J for the discount alone. We went there because generally it was easier to get in and out. And, gas was lower or competitive.
If you look at the new program it is a joke. At The Rally in Perry, Ga. in March, people were so mad at them they were lined up to complain.
The new program in my observation has decreased the RV traffic. Or, it could be in our last 1700 mile trip we found in every case their gas was same but, mostly higher than other stations in the area. Love's was normally lower by a few cents.
Flying J really screwed this marketing plan up.
Marv
Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The problem with the couple of Loves stations that we have stopped at is that they were so dirty (I believe filthy is the more appropriate term) that you felt like you needed to take a bath after filling up. Haven't seen anything that disgusting since I divorced my last wife.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #11
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marv:
We never went to Flying J for the discount alone. We went there because generally it was easier to get in and out. And, gas was lower or competitive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We feel exactly the same way. The only exception is that the RV island frequently gets backed and it has taken us the better part of an hour just to get gas. I sometimes go through the auto lanes if they're not too busy and if the RV island is backed up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marv:
If you look at the new program it is a joke. At The Rally in Perry, Ga. in March, people were so mad at them they were lined up to complain.
The new program in my observation has decreased the RV traffic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, you are right on. Giving RVers a penny a gallon discount won't necessarily bring that many customers in to the station, but taking it away could just aggravate them enough to drive many away.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
The following is part of an email I sent to the J and to FMCA, per their request in the May 2008 issue of the FMCA magazine.

I recommend the Flying J (the J) create a focus group of RVers. The group's mission would be to consult with the J on matters of increasing the value of the J experience to an RVer.

For me, the new RV Real Value Card program is of less value than the old program. I do not live near a J. I can not make in store purchases to take advantage of a fuel discount the following (or some future) month. I rarely travel two months in a row. This means I will receive no discount when purchasing fuel (diesel). For those able to take advantage of the discount, it is quite generous for gas purchases and remains anemic for purchases of diesel fuel.

What are the benefits of the J?
1. Consistent fuel purchase process at all Js.
2. Cash price at the truck fuel islands.
3. A decent restaurant, if time permits.
4. Speedy fuel delivery, at the truck islands.
5. Speedy receipt pickup at the cashier carrousel.
6. Easy in and out for big rigs at the truck islands.
7. Plenty of parking for big rigs, in the truck parking area.
8. Safe (large & well designed) driving area for big rigs at the truck islands.

What are drawbacks to the J?
1. Poor design of RV pumps locations. The RV pumps require exiting across cars backing out of parking places on one side and exiting fully fueled cars on the other side.
2. Poor design of RV pumps with fuel, propane and dump all located in the same place. An RV needing more than one of these services can easily spend 30 minutes blocking the fueling station.
3. Poorly staffed locations that take a considerable length of time to get an attendant to provide propane.
4. Poor design of RV pumps locations. My coach and towed vehicle are 65' total length. There is no way I can or will use the RV pumps. To me they are a:
a. Safety hazard for big rigs.
b. Long wait due to lack of consideration by RVs blocking the pumps.
5. No place to park after fueling at the RV pumps. The J should realize people park where ever they want to park. The spaces clearly marked for RVs are already taken, by other vehicles.
6. Truck islands signage remains with only a truck logo. I have repeatedly asked the J to improve their signage to match their intent. I have a letter from a J VP, mentioning it would be best if a 65' coach and towed vehicle use the truck islands. Unfortunately, truck drivers don't like it and can get nasty when an RV is fueling at "their" islands.
7. I will never park my rig at a J unless there are plenty of places for trucks to park. Even if I wanted to have a meal at the restaurant the threat of vandalism from an irate truck driver(s) is not worth the risk to spend $s inside the J store. The J really needs to change their signage for the truck islands to include big rigs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
The following is part of an email I sent to the J and to FMCA, per their request in the May 2008 issue of the FMCA magazine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What page is that J article on?? I've looked all through my mag and even at the online FMCA mag.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom,
The article starts on page 12 of the May issue. It is the Executive Director's Commentary. The last paragraph of his column (page 14) he asks for FMCA members' to share their thoughts and comments. The email address is membership@fmca.com

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote