Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got the 1500 watt Cobra, Haven't installed it yet but did some testing with jumper cables to the house batteries and plugging the house shore cord into the inverter. I can not turn the breaker off going to the converter cause the TV is on the same circit.
The inverter has lighted monitor as to what percentage of the 1500 available watts are being used and it seems the converter and the TV use 30%. But when I hit the battery disconnect switch it drops to 10%. Obviously the converter is running cause all the 12 volt lights stay on. This seems like it should work fine for a few hours of TV watching.
This encouraged me to go ahead and drill the holes under the couch for the 3 big wires going to the inverter.
Can any one answer this question.
If you are running your generator and then plug into shore power or visa/versa , which power source does the transfer switch take the electricity from?
Will this sine wave/square wave (what ever that is) hurt the converter or anything else?

'05 Damon Daybreak, 3270 on '04 P-32 Workhorse
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2005, 11:37 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Max, what you can and should do is at least put a switch on the converter to turn it off when you are inverting power off the batteries. To do this is to find the circuit breaker that feeds the TV. Remove the cover off the beakers and you will see that there are two wires connected to the breaker. The on that feeds down into the converter is going to the charger. You can disconnect this and put in a 120 volt 10 amp or higher rated switch from the breaker to this wire. Mark on and off for the converter charger. Use off when inverting and on when generator or shore power is used to recharge battery bank.
You should be very careful that you do not have two or more sources of power on at the same time. Most transfer switch used are shore power defaulted but on occasion some mfgs use the generator default for switching. Be sure and get into the habit of having inverter turned off before firing up the generator or plugging into shore power. If needed put a tag or label on the generator start switch and on the shore power cord.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks RV Wizard, The converter is in the outside compartment with its own plug. I assume it will be 12 or 14 gauge household or romex wire. I guess I'd just have to cut one of those wires and put a regular household light switch to it. Sounds pretty simple if I can make it look neat. Would'nt that switch cut every thing on that circuit tho?
Is it really that bad for it to just let it run off the inverter for a couple of hours? How about with the battery disconnect switch disconnected, better or worse? On my class C we used to switch from generator to inverter and visa/versa without losing power. Am I just lucky we did'nt hurt any thing? On the class C the gen. & the inverter started making electricity immediately (no transfer switch, I guess). On this MH the gen takes about 20 sec. and the Cobra inverter takes about 10 seconds. So you think it would be harmful to overlap them at startup and shutdown?

'05 Damon Daybreak, 3270 on '04 P-32 Workhorse
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote