Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has any one tried this ?http://www.flyingjestore.com/index.c...=EL239&sku=100
or any othe inverter from Flying J ?
Seems like a good pricew for the power. I do like a remote turn on swith tho.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has any one tried this ?http://www.flyingjestore.com/index.c...=EL239&sku=100
or any othe inverter from Flying J ?
Seems like a good pricew for the power. I do like a remote turn on swith tho.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:04 AM   #3

I am looking into an inverter myself. We are just looking to be able to operate a microwave, a TV and a coffee maker for a night or two of boondocking. The microwave is 900W so I am thinking that I can get away with a 1000W unit. Will I need an extra battery for this?

How important is the charging ability of some inverters?

Can inverters be wired into the regular house circuit lines or is it best to keep a seperate outlet for it?

Dan Listermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:39 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Inverters from Flying J seem to have a good price... I have a small one I use to power TV and Satellite receiver in the trailer. Plugs into cigar lighter in the trailer, so no installation needed and can put the unit away when not in use.

Inverter/chargers are another animal. The chargers on these beasts really charge! Most are three stage chargers and will top off your battery system very fast. Once charged, will maintain a float charge. If you have the inverter "on" it will come on by itself if it senses a loss of AC power on the input - will turn off when external AC is restored and go into charge mode.

You want the input power and output power on the inverter charger to be isolated ---- have seperate outlets for inverter use would take care of this. In my bus conversion I have two circuit breakers - one for input power one for output power )to/from the inverter) and they feed a common circuit breaker panel. Only have one of these breakers on at a time, but I can power the entire RV this way (except the air units).

There are a LOT of ways to use inverters and there are web sites devoted to "living off the grid" that you can search to find answers to your questions.

If you have a converter now, you can install a inverter/charger and retain the converter; just turn the converter off. You don't want two sources of chargers going to your battery system.

don
Old 06-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The microwave is 900W so I am thinking that I can get away with a 1000W uni </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 900W is the OUTPUT Power, that is the amount of power (microwaves) the Microwave oven puts into the food.
The power draw of the microwave is more like 1100 or 1200 watts
PHESPE
Old 06-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a Class C that the previous owner had a professionaly intalled inverter. It was'nt automatic but the on / off swith was right next to the generator on/ off switch, so I could turn one off and the other on without losing power. I really miss this with my new MH.
I am thinking about installing an inverter in a primitive way. I could install the inverter and just leave an extension cord neatly wired and plugged into my shore power cord. I could just turn it on or off.
If the generator was running and I had the inverter on at the same time, would this blow something? If they were both on , which one would be powering the MH? This sounds too easy to install. Anyone have any opinions on this setup. Ireally only need the inverter for the TV and VCR, Seems like a waste to run a big generator for just ba TV.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PHESPE:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The microwave is 900W so I am thinking that I can get away with a 1000W uni </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 900W is the OUTPUT Power, that is the amount of power (microwaves) the Microwave oven puts into the food.
The power draw of the microwave is more like 1100 or 1200 watts
PHESPE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WELL ACTUALLY, most microwaves have a power transformer inside that prodcues the high voltage, so their overall efficiency of input power versus output power is only in the range of 50-70%.

I would ballpark it at 50% to be safe. This is called "derating".

In other words, for a 900W microwave, you might consider an inverter rated at 1800W or better.

Another way to look at it: A microwave fuse is usually 15 amps. That means that if there's a severe problem with the oven, the fuse would not blow until input power (120V times 15 amps) reaches 1800W.

Your best bet is to look at the model number tag on the microwave (or any appliance) or check the manual for the power specifications.

Hope that helps.

William E. Miller
http://www.MicrowaveDisplay.com
Old 08-15-2005, 10:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's one more issue you have to deal with powering a microwave oven -- the power surge at turn on.
I bought the Cobra 2500w at Flying J. It wouldn't work for me because when the mircowave kicked on it would trip the overload circuit in the Cobra. The newer microwave ovens don't use the big old heavy transformers anymore, instead they have a solid-state converter that looks like a short circuit for a few milseconds. I had big beffy 12v cables wired to the 12v batteries so it had plenty of power going in. IMO, the Cobra 2500w over-protection is too sensitive.

So I was pretty dissappointed. It did run the coffee maker and everything else ok.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:27 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has any one just plugged their shore power cord into their inverter. I realize I can't run everything at once and would'nt need to. I have never been to a CG yet with electric hookups and I think running the generator just to watch TV is a waste.
I realize this may not be the professional way but but if I just left it plugged into the inverter and turned the inverter off when not needed or when I run the generator . Can anyone foresee a problem? I can see the inverter using battery power to run the converter, which is trying to charge the same batteries that the inverter is discharging. Is this a problem? We generally would only use it for couple of hours in the evening.
Surely someone here has tried it.
I'll probably get a 2500 to 3000 watt inverter but hate to spend the $$ on it if my way of installing it won't work. I tried it with my 300 watt inverter and I had power thru the MH but it blew the inverter 30 watt fuse as soon as I turned the TV on.

Duner, I see it says the inverter is "remote" capable. that's what I want , a switch to turn it off and on right by my generator starter switch. Did you put a remote switch on yours?
Maybe I'd be better off with the 1500 watt inverter since I don't plan to run any high wattage appliaces and I only have 2 6 volt batteries.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #10

Hey Max, I installed a 2K Harbor Freight Inverter which draws from my 2 6V Batts. I have a 50Amp relay which I activate from a HD switch near my breaker panel inside the MH. I have the setup primarily to filter and control the power to my computer (PC) DWay modem etc...BUT... I can and have powered the entire coach from the inverter. First I disable the conveter/charger, then make sure all of the hi-amp loads are, and will remain, off. The power drain of a 13" color TV approximates an auto headlamp so there should not be a major issue for a couple of hours of TV. BTW, I paid under $190.00 for the inverter. It is certainly NOT the Heart Interface I had years ago when FT but is absolutely great on the inverter side of the issue. I upgraded the 9100 Series Converter/Charger which came with the MH with a $25 "Charge Wizard" which makes a 3 stage charger out of it. i.e. bulk; finish; float. Steve

rvr2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:33 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is a 50 amp relay and disabling the converter all absolutely necessary? I want to install the remote inverter on/off switch right next to the generator switch for convenience. Switch from one power source to the other wo skipping a beat or even the TV going off. Disabling the converter (unplugging it ?) and activating a relay switch sounds like something that would get old fast. I have a hard enough time teaching my wife to put the fridge on "gas" before turning the inverter on.
I just don't understand why it would hurt to run the inverter while powering the converter for a couple of hours. I would assume the worst it could do is kill the batteries. Kinda like filling a leaking can, I guess.
I guess I'll be the first person on this forum to try it. How many watts does a typical converter use when the batteries are close to a full charge?
I did order the 1500 watt Cobra from flying J along with the remote on/off switch. I'm gonna try just plugging the shore cord into it. If that kills the batteries or gives me other problems , I guess I'll ask my mobil RV repairman if he can install it right. I doubt I would take it to an RV dealer to do it. I have'nt been impressed with any of their work and they charge $100 an hour +++
Old 08-17-2005, 10:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max,
You'll need to turn the refridge to LP so it doesn't suck up all your 1500w power. Also shore power will be trying to charge your batteries so you need to turn off the converter. Once you load down the bat with 1500 watt inverter, the converter will think the bat are getting real low and try to put a heavy charge into them. Worse yet, the converter wants a 110v sinewave input but the inverter puts out a square wave (they call it a modified sine wave) and that makes the whole closed loop one big inefficient heater. My guess is that your fully charged batteries would only last 20-30 minutes before the inverter cuts out at 10.5 volts.

What I did was run a separate 110 line from the new inverter to three new outlets: one in the bathroom so DW could blow dry hair before going to bed after shower, one in kitchen so I could make coffee in the morning during quiet time, one by dinette for laptop. Did this in my 99 Chieftain which had a floorplan that was easy to route wires.

When I go dry camping, I take my little Honda 650w gen and run a few hour's per day just to charge the bat so I can run quiet at night. Usually I run my big Onan 2 hr/day for cooking or AC so that keeps the bat pretty much up.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You want the converter shut down because it will act like a "leak" in your batteries. While connected, the converter will be trying to re-charge the batteries as the inverter discharges them. In a perfect world you would just be sucking energy out on one side of the battery and putting it back on the other, but things are not perfect. The inverter only converts about 90-95% of the DC amps from the battery to AC amps, plus there are losses in the wiring. Then the converter takes the AC and converts maybe 90% of that back to DC for charging. Thus there is a continual loss of power, which rapidly accelerates as the converter tries to re-charge more rapidly to catch up, forcing the inverter to draw more from the batteries to power the converter, etc. etc. This continues until one or the other is at its maximum capacity (or blows a fuse or breaker).

In a nutshell, the converter will run down your batteries rather than recharging them.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:09 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your help guys. I already ordered the inverter from Flying J online. I guess I'll probably have to have someone wire it in correctly or maybe if It's on a circuit , not sharing with something I need, I could just trip the breaker? Would this work?
Unplugging it means I have to go out side , back and forth which does'nt seem very convenient. But is this all I'd have to do.
May as well run the generator for a couple more hours unlee I'm in a "quiet time" CG.
My old MH was set up really nice with the inverter but it looked like a lot of work and knowhow went into it.