Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Flying Rubber

We had a great 4 day weekend of camping & fishing/boating. Trip home turned sour-we blew the inside dual. No damage other than the tread peeled off the casing. So we spent a liesurely drive home at 30 mph. I swore at Michelin XRV until I took the time to check the DOT date. With my red face hanging out-they were the original equipment on our 1998 Luxor. I'm bending over now as the local tire shop is sticking $4,500 for a set of six installed. We're getting a set of XZE, see how it goes. I've got the chrome steel valve stems and I'd rather keep them than have some cheap Made in Cxxxx piece of work installed. Small town sometimes- not a great deal of choice. I'm also going with the ceramic Dyna-Beads for balancing. We'll see how that works out as well. I told him I would not accept any tires older than one year. He whined and said he doesn't know what the Michelin warehouse will send him. This site was informative on that score.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not an expert on this but I think I read here somewhere where the valve stems need to use a different core if you use the bead balancing.

bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Not an expert on this but I think I read here somewhere where the valve stems need to use a different core if you use the bead balancing.
I'm not familiar with Dyna Beads but EQUAL does require the valve stem core with the built in screen to prevent a bead from sticking in the core when checking pressures and causing an air leak.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
I told him I would not accept any tires older than one year. He whined and said he doesn't know what the Michelin warehouse will send him.
Accept them, just ask them to prorate the price for the useable time left, figuring a 5 year or 6 year life.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Well the deed is done-6 new ZXE Michelin-ooow did it hurt. As to the valve stems-I don't need to change them with using the ceramic beads as the beads don't bother valve stem operation. Took the bus for a quick spin and is it ever nice to have new rubber. All is smooth with the world. Buggers didn't put any padding on the concrete floor when thry operated on my polished front rims. I now have some scratches to buff out. I think they take the batteries out of their hearing aids for complaints. Bonus-DOT tire dates are 35th and 45th weeks of 2010- I didn't have a fight on that one. I would have won the battle but lost the war I think as Michelin only had 6 ZXE in the warehouse- I really would have turned blue holding my breath for alternatives. Interesting-the local Fountain Tire (Goodyear) store didn't even try to quote Goodyear- he went straight to Michelin warehouse to source tires. Is there a message here? I insisted they leave the old chrome steel valve stems in rather than the made in China crapola- they didn't argue much-though I would have liked fresh quality stems. Now we can travel rather worry free and terrorize the southern US states come winter time. Oh oh-tornado watch just announced- we don't ever get tornadoes; or at least didn't used to.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Your tire guy should be happy - he charged you top dollar and then some for those tires and didn't give you a break on the install or balancing either. And already 10-11 months old too. They (Michelin) do make a decent tire, though.

I like my Continentals at $460 apiece installed. And that's for a larger size than your Luxor uses.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Your tire guy should be happy - he charged you top dollar and then some for those tires and didn't give you a break on the install or balancing either. And already 10-11 months old too. They (Michelin) do make a decent tire, though.

I like my Continentals at $460 apiece installed. And that's for a larger size than your Luxor uses.

I agree!! In Sept last year I had 6 new Michelins installed, 2 - 305/70 22.5's in the front and 4 - 275/70 22.5's in the rear, out the door was just over $3,200 AND they didn't scratch my Alcoa's!!

The fronts are dated 3010 so they were just a few weeks old when I got them
I tried to go with Continentals and the showed 305/70's on their site, but they hadn't yet made any.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote