Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Fogged double pane windows

We're considering a Fleetwood Discovery that Camping World has at Quartzite.

Almost all of the double pane windows are fogged because they lost the seal and inert gas. CW said they could fix them. I saw an ad in an RV magazine for a company that claims to repair them. I know that some home windows are repaired this way.

Does this work? I'm debating if this is a deal-breaker if the windows are not repaired or better yet, replaced. What are your opinions??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #2

It is possible to replace them yourself or have it done. If you do a general search you will find several blogs on this subject.

If you are a DYI kind of person you can save a lot of money. I replaced the side windows in my 97 Holiday Rambler. I purchased new windows from Atwood for about $47.00 plus shipping. Check my photos for a complete photo breakdown of the replacement.
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=40028

If Atwood made your windows it will be a lot cheaper to buy direct from them instead of your OEM. If you pull the inner widow frame off the part number should be on the inside of the frame flange. If not you can give them the size of the window.
ArTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
All you ever wanted to know about defogging windows: "Defogging" Double-pane Windows .... A Gimmick?? - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

And yes, it does work, and no you dont have to pay someone. The only problem would be if the glass is tempered, but that can be worked around by drilling the frame instead (which I would do anyways )
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would be a deal breaker for me unless the dealer agreed to have them repaired or compensated in an amount to offset the repair. Fogged windows will only get worse to the point of the glass having to be replaced due to etching. It is difficult to tell if the glass is etched without disssassembly.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The "fix" is to remove the windows, separate the panes, clean the glass, and reassemble with a proper seal between the panes. RV dual pane glass doesn't have inert gas inside - just dry air. In round numbers, it costs about $200-$250/window to do the job right, so the repair cost is a probably a deal breaker unless the dealer throws it in. It's expensive to do them all properly, and I would worry they are skimping on the job unless they are already overpriced on the coach to start with.

Some places don't bother to repair - they just replace the window (about $300-$400 in many cases).

A fogged window may look ok on a dry (low humidity) day when the air between the panes dries out, but it will come right back the next cool, damp morning or evening.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps this other thread will be helpful to you:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/re-p...ows-83177.html
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote