Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

Fogged dual pane DIY

Okay, so I am going to try the DIY approach, and fix these myself. My entire motor-home needs to be redone (24 panes). I have gotten quotes from $2650-4k...and I just can't get myself to bite at that price range.

So this is the thread to either talk me out of it (anyone who has done this before and does not recommend it), or this is the thread to post all the helpful links, videos and tips to have a successful DIY situation. Looking for info on the entire process, and the names / links to all the materials I will need

My motorhome is a 2007 fleetwood discovery.... I really do not want to do this, but I'm assuming the cost savings to DIY are pretty significant??

any help / advice is appreciated
EMPIRE231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #2

RV's simply have dual-pane windows, they are not vacuum-sealed, filled with argon, nitrogen, or anything. I once found a website selling the spacer between the glass panes that has a desiccant made into it, sadly I lost the link.

Here are a couple of DIY websites for dual-pane window repair though:

https://rvknowhow.blogspot.com/2012/...dow-seals.html
How a Company Fixes Fogged Double-Paned RV Windows
Update: I may have found that DIY website: https://foggywindowrepairkits.com/window-seal-repair/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I resealed 4 of the windows on my last coach. As long as the glass has not been etched from condensation, you can clean them up and reuse the glass. If the glass is etched, you'll need to replace it. I was able to finish the job from removal of the windows from the coach, to re-installation in a weekend. Is it an easy job, no, but certainly doable by a DIY'r.
There is a great link that I used. Not sure if the link came through, but if not, just do a search for it. "Don't wait too long."

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dont...ng-246255.html

Good luck,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I am also getting ready to reseal mine. You can get the pieces at dkhardware.com or kits at daverootrvglassrepair.com
Hope that helps
Old 08-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Had my drivers window done on my class a 400.00 the guy was in oregon great job
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

Had all 12 windows done at rv glass solutions in Oregon with laminated glass $4600 coult not be happier easy to drop off pickup.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There is a place near me that will do it for $200.00 per window plus $100 if the glass is etched.. I can't do it fast enough to beat that on my own. https://www.rvfogdr.com/
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:54 PM   #8

2007 Fleetwood Bounder dp same problem. Watching
Old 08-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPIRE231 View Post
Okay, so I am going to try the DIY approach, and fix these myself. My entire motor-home needs to be redone (24 panes). I have gotten quotes from $2650-4k...and I just can't get myself to bite at that price range.

So this is the thread to either talk me out of it (anyone who has done this before and does not recommend it), or this is the thread to post all the helpful links, videos and tips to have a successful DIY situation. Looking for info on the entire process, and the names / links to all the materials I will need

My motorhome is a 2007 fleetwood discovery.... I really do not want to do this, but I'm assuming the cost savings to DIY are pretty significant??

any help / advice is appreciated
Ok....so...I was faced with a similar situation. I am a builder by trade, built several dune buggies and spent a lot of time turning wrenches on high performance cars and now on my 425hp pontoon boat so I am fairly capable of a job like this.....BUT do I want to do it? And is the outcome/longevity worth the effort. Don't get me wrong I have the time and resources but still do not like wasting time. I struggled with this dilemma since I bought this coach. My biggest draw back to the DIY route was I knew after the repair the design itself is crap and it was going to happen again.

I ended up paying maybe more than I should have but I went to an auto glass replacement shop and had all mine replaced with laminated glass units. The front two with the green tint the rest with smoked. They did the stationary with the standard double thick laminated glass, the sliders with the laminated/safety glass. I have 13 windows so 26 panes it cost me just over $4k and I do not regret one penny of it. And the best part is it will NEVER have to be done again.

You did say try to talk you out of it right? lol.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The "Don't Wait Too Long" post was mine. I did my windows 4 years ago and they are still sealed and not fogging so I guess for me it was worth doing the job myself.

As to replacing dual pane windows with laminate, to each their own. If you camp in the hot or cold climates ( I do both) you will miss the dual pane windows and their insulating value. There's a reason manufacturers use these windows. Just sayin
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #11

Fogged dual pane DIY

We had ours repaired at RV Fog Doctor in Arkansas three years they have bays to stay over night and do a great job.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Ok....so...I was faced with a similar situation. I am a builder by trade, built several dune buggies and spent a lot of time turning wrenches on high performance cars and now on my 425hp pontoon boat so I am fairly capable of a job like this.....BUT do I want to do it? And is the outcome/longevity worth the effort. Don't get me wrong I have the time and resources but still do not like wasting time. I struggled with this dilemma since I bought this coach. My biggest draw back to the DIY route was I knew after the repair the design itself is crap and it was going to happen again.

I ended up paying maybe more than I should have but I went to an auto glass replacement shop and had all mine replaced with laminated glass units. The front two with the green tint the rest with smoked. They did the stationary with the standard double thick laminated glass, the sliders with the laminated/safety glass. I have 13 windows so 26 panes it cost me just over $4k and I do not regret one penny of it. And the best part is it will NEVER have to be done again.

You did say try to talk you out of it right? lol.
I appreciate the feedback... This is exactly the way I feel.... I can do it, I have the space and time.... but is it worth my time.

The one reason I am leaning towards the DIY route is for the "if you want something done right, do it yourself" idea.... I feel like if I did it myself, the job will be done 100% correctly. But the problem with that is I will spend a lot of time making sure it was done perfectly.

I am almost considering pulling the windows out myself, but taking them to a local glass shop to have them do the actually "re-sealing"
EMPIRE231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've fixed all but two of my windows. It's like any other DIY project, the first one takes you twice as long as the second. Some random thoughts......

Patience is #1. It will take time to do each window. First, getting the window frame out of the coach after you have pulled out all the screws can be a little tough. Mine are all installed with silicone so they are really glued in well.

I got my repair kit from Dave Root. Works well, but less expensive elsewhere.

The toughest part for me is cutting through the window sealant to separate and clean the window panes. There is no way to cut through mine with a razor blade, I tried for hours. So I use a Dremel with a circular saw attachment.

There is a local place in the DFW area that has a website saying they do windows. I would save myself the time and pay them, except I can't get them to return calls to schedule a time to take in the coach.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The "Don't Wait Too Long" post was mine. I did my windows 4 years ago and they are still sealed and not fogging so I guess for me it was worth doing the job myself.

As to replacing dual pane windows with laminate, to each their own. If you camp in the hot or cold climates ( I do both) you will miss the dual pane windows and their insulating value. There's a reason manufacturers use these windows. Just sayin
That's great the repair worked out for you and I truly hope your windows never fog again. That route is certainly the less expensive route to go.

But with all due respect, I live and camp in both extreme temps as well and have noticed no difference in insulation value or sound. We brought our coach to our home in Upstate NY (The real upstate as in can throw a stone and hit Canada or Vermont not 10 miles north of NYC upstate) very early this year in below freezing temps. I had some work to do on it so left the heat on for a few weeks in sub freezing temps and was in the coach for a good portion of the time while finishing my projects. I did not experience any window moisture as I was told we would or notice that the heater was running anymore than it would have when it had the dual pane. We also just got back from a week at Disney in mid 90 temps with crazy high humidity and the coach cooled just fine and that is with one A/C that needs to be replaced.

Here is the rub. People hear dual pane and think they are equal to home Low-E-Glass argon filled windows. Most RV dual pane windows have neither Low-E coating or are Argon filled. They are a major improvement over single pane window but not over todays Laminated safety glass with Low-E coating and tint which will never ever require replacement due to fogging.

RV's in general have almost no insulation in them to begin with. It would be virtually impossible to notice the A/C or heater running an added couple of minutes per hour in either situation.

Manufacturer's use them because they are a significant improvement over single pane and less expensive than Laminated Low-E windows. Actually I'm not even sure anyone makes a new complete laminated glass window for the RV world. So they can only chose from Single or Dual pane. That choice is obvious.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy