Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fogged Window Repair

All of my dual pane windows are fogged and getting worse. I got an estimate that was way north of my pain point but they also sell a 'kit' with the materials and instructions for DIYers. (The estimate came from Dave Root Glass)

I know how to get the day/night shades out because I installed them. I think I know how to get the valances off but I haven't ever removed them on our Bounder. Seems simple enough.

But the windows? How difficult is the repair? Could one (inventive) person manage the job alone?

What about sealing them? They sell a sealing tape, is it better than the goop Fleetwood used originally?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just had one fogged window fixed by Suncoast Wndow, st Petersberg, Gl for $375.00. After watching what they did I'm going to fix my other windows myself. The 1st big fear is removing the window and appeared to be the easy part. took less than 1/2 hour to remove it. It isn't easy as its putty / adhesive / putty tape had set for over 7 years. Getting it to release took the time without damaging any of the area around the window. once they got it out they took it apart and cleaned and polished with buffer to get the fogging off the window. If you break the glass you just have a local glass company cut you and new glass and have it tempered. they used a black tape (butyl I think) and reinstalled. you can look on the web and find several places with demos on "How they repair". Then you can decide for yourself it you can fix. good luck.. safe travels ed

Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
We just had one fogged window fixed by Suncoast Wndow, st Petersberg, Gl for $375.00. After watching what they did I'm going to fix my other windows myself. The 1st big fear is removing the window and appeared to be the easy part. took less than 1/2 hour to remove it. It isn't easy as its putty / adhesive / putty tape had set for over 7 years. Getting it to release took the time without damaging any of the area around the window. once they got it out they took it apart and cleaned and polished with buffer to get the fogging off the window. If you break the glass you just have a local glass company cut you and new glass and have it tempered. they used a black tape (butyl I think) and reinstalled. you can look on the web and find several places with demos on "How they repair". Then you can decide for yourself it you can fix. good luck.. safe travels ed
Quote:
If you break the glass you just have a local glass company cut you and new glass and have it tempered.
This may not be that easy ... no one in my area can temper glass and the factory needs 2 weeks lead time. Don't break the glass.

I did a few of mine. One piece of glass was too badly etched and could not be cleaned. I used Lexan and arranged the glass so the tempered piece was outside ... no issues so far.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just did one of my slide windows with the Dave Root do it yourself kit. I did a small window first to see what it involved prior to doing the driver and passenger windows. The kit was all that was needed to do the job. The sealing tape worked fine and was close to what Fleetwood used. I did the window myself and found that the only time spent was on the removal of the sealant used on the rail for raising and lowering the window. They used way more than what was needed for sealant and it did take time with a razor knife to release it from the glass. If you follow the instructions you'll be fine it's not that difficult. I would suggest a battery caulking gun as he suggests for applying the butyl sealant it is thick and it will give you a better job. I used duck tape on the outside of the window to hold the window in place, then went in and fastened the inner trim ring. Hope this helps you get a general idea of what it involves. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

BTW, on mine I did not actually remove the inner trim rings ... I removed all the screws and left the rings in place.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks guys!

Tell me if I'm on the right track.

To remove the window from the coach I have to remove the outer ring on the inside of the window frame and remove it. Then I go to the outside and pry the window frame away from the sealant between it and the side of the coach. At some point the entire frame will come out.

At that point someone has to be ready to catch it. I'm thinking a suction cup window handle might come in handy.

There is so much mis-information on the net! I've found dozens of 'experts' who say these windows can't be repaired. I'm choosing to ignore them and listen to those who have actually done the impossible.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

It depends on your window manufacturer and year.

Here's some good info:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Dual Pane Window Repair-My Way
Old 09-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are they dual pane fogging like a windshield or is the glass itself fogging... Different procedures for different problems.

I have one dual pane where the seal became comprimised and high moisture air got in there and it now fogs.. I will, eventually, fix it.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not moisture

Doesn't look like moisture. It looks like the same kind of film you get on your car windshield from the plastic dash giving off 'stuff' as it bakes in the sun.

Tell me again why dual pane windows are good?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
BTW, on mine I did not actually remove the inner trim rings ... I removed all the screws and left the rings in place.
No need to remove the inner trim ring at all. On removing the window the only thing holding it in place is the mounting [sealing] tape applied by Fleetwood. I used a painters putty knife to pry under the frame to release the frame from the coach prying very cautiously until the window released.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #11

MP,
I expect nothing less than a "how to" ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A how to.....

That's what I was hoping for!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing I did not see addressed : Do not forget that this whole operation is being done because there is a leak somewhere and the original inert gas has gone away, replaced by dirty yucky damp air. After repairing the window, if the original leak is not repaired, you'll be doing it again. As mentioned above, some fixes are simple enough to repeat every few years. That fact alone makes me want to fix mine ASAP.

Tags
repair, window