Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Fogged windows repair location

I have had 4 windows (frameless ) repaired last winter on Florida West coast. One had a water leak and 3 with cracked calking around them (they use a black material that they said dried to rapidly....).
While they fixed rapidly the water leak at N/C, I had to drive to their premises and spent a night on location. It cost me much more than them.
Do you have another place to suggest NOT located north of Tampa?
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #2

Laura: some of the forum members send their windows for repair and post a high satisfaction. Let me find the location and return with the link for you to review....I hate water droplets inside the glass.

"Suncoast Designs in Hudson, FL just did two of mine for $434.00 out the door. They're about an hour north of Tampa, tried to pm you but you have it blocked."

this is a quote from one of the posting members that used a Florida location
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds as though Suncoast is the one that Laura is complaining about - they are "north of Tampa" on the Florida west coast.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #4

Have bad windows too. Not paying that much. There has to be cheaper places. Please post. Thanks
Trucker47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker47
Have bad windows too. Not paying that much. There has to be cheaper places. Please post. Thanks
I appreciate that this comment is not of much value to someone in Florida, but the prices charged by some companies seems pretty outrageous. I had mine done in Phoenix last year and the cost was less than $100 p/window. The "guy" came to my site...removed the window .....opened them up...cleaned all the glass...reassembled with new seals and re- installed. So far the repair has been excellent and his work is guaranteed. I can't understand "what" it is that these guys who charge hundreds$$$ are doing that makes it so costly or so much better?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the OP had their work done at Suncoast and is not happy with the work.
They have a 5 year warranty on all parts and labor.

And I'm sure they will make it right.

I had one window fixed there in May of 2011 and the last one fixed May 2013.
They did great work both times.

And I used 2 nights each time of their full hook-up RV sites for FREE. Thats right, you get FREE water hook-up, FREE electric hook-up, FREE Wi-Fi, FREE use of on site dump station and absolutely positively NO OVERNIGHT FEE!

So if you take the average Florida overnight campground $$fees off the window repair, it makes it seem not that high.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #7

So as it is how I had and found:
A water leaking window, the one that has the emergency exit. Did a specifi trip, waiste one day (the day before) and got it fixed.
Looking at the seal around them, found they had cracks, they told me that it probably did because they dried too rapidly (was a complete week on premisces with nothing to do around...) I don't give a damn about "free camping" If one enjoy this type of SAVING, waisting my time, it is not me. They say they would fix it at my next trip.
Cleaning the glass, I found out that one was scratched when they put them apart. Certainly with their vibrating tool they use......
To resume, Newmar would probably charge me twice the price, with new complete windows (frameless) but the job would be done the same day with twice the cost.
I actually lean this way.......since I hav 3 more to be done on the opposite side.
I would not suggest owners of frameless windows to go there. They do charge $375 including taxes for the work and time required is 6 days (you need to be there on Sunday)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. I'm going to do it myself. Watched video on youtube. It's not that hard. I'll let you know how it turns out. Class A 98 Winnibago.
Trucker47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Can you link the video?
lemosley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #10

Laura... hate to read that you are having this totally unpleasant experience. I had repaired my own windows because I just can not afford to place money into window projects when there was so much other costly items on my MH improvement list. I had success in the windows that I repaired....but it was a weekend task and it was messy.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #11

At least you save yourself a lot of money. Cost me over $1500.

Just to say tht when I am a happy customer, I would say it. For the opposite too
.One more thing. When they say covered by warranty the never include the customer extra cost. Last time they spent 20 minutes max to fix the water leak. I drove over 80 miles, spent a day (in fact 2 days Sunday and Monday) to be on premisces, extra meals in the middle of nowhere. And please dont tell me that I did not have to pay for the campsite and electricity. What about my waisted time, I would prefer to go on the beach or better fishing in Naples area(where I was).
The job does nt require that much skill, straight forward and common sense. They remove the window within 15 minutes and just had to use a sharp blade to cut the calking. The only thing that I am not aware of is the rubber used as spacer between the glass.
Norm (and not laura)
Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

Norm... that rubber piece is a rubber coated lattice of stainless mesh. It has calcium carbonate inside the lattice. The calcium carbonate is a moisture absorbent. When I redid my windows and used some acid cleaner to eat at the etched glass stains (inner glass)...I heated the rubber gasket gently with a heat gun...to help reactivate (drive out moisture) the gasket; then I RTV'd the glass and gasket back together. My install is not perfect....but it is many times better than before. I do not have plans to replace my glass but if I do...I will buy tinted single pane for the left and right sliders at the driver and passenger seats.

Tags
repair