Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Question Fogging windows

We have a 2005 Expedition and have a problem with 3 side windows. The seals have evidently leaked in the double panes and has caused cloudiness or fogging. The one that concerns me the most is the fixed window on the driver's side. Under certain lighting conditions, it makes it very difficult to see anything in the rear view mirror. Dealer couldn't be sure that a replacement glass would fit and his expensive solution was to replace the entire frame and windows on the driver's side. Anyone else having this problem?

wlw41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
We had an '04 Bounder, and had 8 (count 'em -- EIGHT) foggy windows repaired at Suncoast Designers in FL.

They did an excellant job, and the price was $200 per window, including removal and reinstallation - very reasonable.

I recommend their repair.

Happy Travels

michaelpatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
wlw41, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Sorry to hear of the fogging windows. You are correct in that the seals have leaked and allowed moisture inside the panes. This can be caused my a number of things. Do not put reflective insulation or window covers over the inside of windows. This can cause excessive heat to build up in the window air gap and cause seal leakage. The entire window should be replaced but there are companies that will rebuild the windows in certain areas of the country. You might try contacting the manufacturer of the window and complain to them of the issue. I did on my drivers side window at about three years old and they sent me a new window free of charge. Good luck and keep us posted.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On some coaches the driver's window by the mirror cannot be replaced without partially dismantling the dashboard, which makes it an expensive repair.

RV dealers just want to replace the entire window - they don't have the skills and tech knowledge to fool around with just the glass. A glass shop is the opposite - glass is what they do and they think replacing frames is silly.

The Fleetwood factory service shop in Decatur ought to be back in business soon - that might be a good place to take it if you are within driving range. Actually, right now I believe they are fixing Expeditions at the American Coach service center in Decatur. The factory labor rates are moderate. Otherwise, ask about glass shops in your area. Suncoast Designis a good bet if you get to Florida.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my 2005 Airstream Land Yacht Gas motorhome in August, 2007. At the time, it was still under warranty, which is very fortunate for me because, every single dual pane window on the mh fogged up. They were made my SeGi. Airstsream replaced them for me under warranty and I had them put single panes in. I have seen numerous threads on this problem and I am happy that I don't have to worry about failed seals anymore. Good luck with your replacements. I would not trust anyone to repair them. I think you would have the same problem sometime again down the road.
padillab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
I also highly recommend Suncoast Designers in Hudson, Fl. They did mine in April.
Jack Buening

Jack Buening
Jacksonville, FL
jbuening is offline   Reply With Quote