Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #1

For those with full body paint rigs..

I know they look gorgeous but are they worth the extra money? We are upgrading to new motor home over the winter for next season. The full body paint option is almost a $6k upgrade.
I know some campgrounds we have been too have heavily wooded sites which is what we prefer but at times the tree limbs will drag across the sides of the motor home. It makes me cringe a little already but I think if I paid 6 grand extra for full body paint I'd cringe a lot.

So I'm assuming they use standard automotive clear coat but how much?
What quality of a paint job are coming on these full body paint rigs?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #2

Our 2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A has full body paint. I bought it used and I didn't pay any extra because it had full body paint. On mine it has a couple of areas of clear coat failure, on the slide, on the front cap and on the van hood. That seems to be pretty standard for these types of paint jobs as I have seem many with similar issues. It still looks great but if I was buying new, I wouldn't spring the $6 large for it. YMMV

Old 07-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

I have a good deal experience with clear coat paint on classic cars. Lots of upkeep to keep it nice particularly if exposed to a good deal of sun. I couldn't imagine waxing or buffing a 30ft motor home, even once.

On the other hand the graphic vinyl decals on my 2005 look awful, dull and faded and are starting to peel off. Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I know they look gorgeous but are they worth the extra money? We are upgrading to new motor home over the winter for next season. The full body paint option is almost a $6k upgrade.
I know some campgrounds we have been too have heavily wooded sites which is what we prefer but at times the tree limbs will drag across the sides of the motor home. It makes me cringe a little already but I think if I paid 6 grand extra for full body paint I'd cringe a lot.

All paint can be scratched I wouldn't think I just messed up a 6k paint job. I would think I just screwed up a 300k and up MH. I prefer full body paint just like my preference I like a color other than white. Properly taken care of wash and wax regularly they will look good as new.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

We were looking at gas coaches and couldn't find a floor plan to suit us. The salesman then rolled out a 2014 Fleetwood Excursion DP. It had the floor plan we wanted, it was a DP and because it was a 2014 leftover the price was very attractive. It also had a lot of really nice features (inverter, res fridge) I liked. One thing it had that wasn't even on my list of things to look for was full body paint. I've had several trailers, pop ups and a MH, all used, all fiberglass, and all showed signs of the gelcoat fading. I really like the full body paint and plan on having it waxed at least nice a year to keep it up. Can't see going back
Old 07-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post

Up North,
Full body paint is a plus, no matter what brand, style, model, length etc. of coach. Different manufacturers use different types and qualities of paints. Obviously, the more higher end the coach is, the higher the quality of not only the type of paint but, the higher quality job is done too.

Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has full body paint and, we consistently get folks in camp grounds and RV parks asking if it's brand new. I say, "Nope, it's an '04". The maintenance of a full body paint unit is seriously less than that of a normal gel coating coach. It's much easier to wash and wax and, for the most part, it holds that shine much longer.

Sure, if a unit is consistently out in the sun, and never gets covered, it's going to deteriorate. That's a given. I know that resale is always enhanced when full body paint unit is up against an identical unit that does not have that option. I know if we ever change, what ever type, size, model we choose, will be fitted with full body paint.

As for your concerns about foliage in or around campsites, well, no real advice for you on that. I've got out of the coach, broke out the loppers and, lopped off many-a branch so I'd not damage our coaches finish. Yep, I carry those. Sometimes you have to be a bit discrete because, many state and federal camp grounds FROWN on folks cutting their trees and bushes.

Well, I say then, "get off your a.. and do it for us." They want us to come and visit their areas and spend money but, they have a hard time keeping up the camp sites. That's another story.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered our '00 Dutch Star with the standard gel coat and stickers. When we ordered the '02 we paid the $8000 extra for the full paint. Sure made it a lot easier to keep clean. Worth the cost to me. When we traded it in Feb of this year it still looked great and we never had any trouble with 10 yr park rules even after 13 years.
With the present CC I don't think you could even get it without full paint.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #8

Full body paint? You bet. Looks good. Easy to maintain and those decal things don,t peel off!
Woody
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd definitely spend the extra. It should add resale value. When I bought my 2005 Newmar, it was parked beside a 2005 Damon w/o FBP that I looked at first. Not a bad looking rig, but the 10 yr old decals were faded and beginning to peel. The white gel coat wasn't quite white anymore. Then I looked at the Newmar. Same age coach and it looked darn near new in comparison to the Damon. To me it was a no-brainer to spend the extra money for the coach with the full body paint. Having said that, as others have said there is some clearcoat delamination on the rear horizontal surfaces that I will re-clear if the weather ever drops below 95 deg.

Also, be aware that on most rigs with FBP, the manufacturer applies Diamondshield or some similar clear vinyl on the front cap. Mine is failing and needs to be removed. Again, a job for after it cools down a bit. Its a real bear to remove. Once I get it off and re-clear the rear, it will look great, especially considering its 10 years old.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't have anything but FBP. I also carry a pole trimmer. If a campsite has branches that are going to hit the coach, I trim them.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:01 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Like most responses so far, full body paint is considered "worth it" and that sentiment is backed up by all the other threads on this forum from those who have asked the same question. It will uphold value when selling and some consider that you'll get back the extra money that you paid when selling ...not too sure about that but it will definitely help sell the rig.

And I wax a 40-footer twice a year. It's actually fun and it gives me time outdoors and also provides exercise. It also gives me a chance to examine all the new imperfections and clean them up, fix them, touch them up, etc. I do small sections at a time and don't try to do the entire rig in one shot. I'm an old guy so why try to keep up with the guys in their 30s?!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:35 AM   #12

A little over 5yrs. ago I had our 2000 Dutch Star painted. To this day it looks great, and surprises people that it's 15yrs. old. I had 3 coats of clear applied, and man it shines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03557.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	101658  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
A little over 5yrs. ago I had our 2000 Dutch Star painted. To this day it looks great, and surprises people that it's 15yrs. old. I had 3 coats of clear applied, and man it shines.
Looks awesome! I had a 99 Eagle and no one believed me that it was that old. I waxed it once per year and never put it away dirty.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My FBP is now 11 years old and still looks great. I polish it once a year with ProtectAll, which for me is about a 16 hour job, working off and on. Often unpainted filon walls are clear-coated anyway, to give them some shine, so the polishing (or not) would be about the same. The higher the gloss of the finish, the more susceptible it is to scratching, though the scratches are usually not deep and can be polished out with light rubbing compound. Obviously a deep scratch cuts through the clear and the pigment layers, and that's a different story. However, that would probably be a gouge on a non-painted rig too..

You probably aren't getting a great paint job for an extra $6k. A good quality FBP job runs $20K or more, and the ones you see on luxury class coaches are probably more like $40k. That's several coats of paint and a couple coats of the clear. Yes, it is standard automotive paint & clear, but those come in a variety of types and quality, and the best jobs require a lot of labor for prep work and between coats..

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint